A penny floor covering?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A penny floor covering?

Postby fasteddy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey fellas,

I have been thinking for about 4 years now about replacing my linoleum covering with what else...but pennies. I have seen several floors done this way in videos but never in person. Has anyone here done this or know of anyone who has? I have laid out a 4' x 4' area in the different make up of the cents...all dark brown pennies and then with shiny pennies scattered throughout also laid out a shiny band/stripe around the perimeter of the floor. I am thinking just a random scattering of brown and shiny cents of course all copper.

it has been 3 years since back surgery so maybe I can get down there and just do it!

FE
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: A penny floor covering?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Great plan!

This looks nice if you plan of contracting out some cool insertion: http://www.real-penny-tile-projects-mad ... -mesh.html

I would also hide a couple wheats, George V or VI and even some common date indian heads for people to discover.....

Keep us updated.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue May 09, 2017 1:34 am

The people in Chicago that make those penny tile sheets could use some new pennies. Maybe a market for anyone finding new boxes of pennies. http://www.real-penny-tile-projects-mad ... esign.html
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby hags » Sun May 14, 2017 6:25 am

I did my backsplash in all copper pennies.
It's a long process if you're going to set them coin by coin.
I estimate my backsplash took 6,000 pennies to complete and I had approx. 30 hours alone in setting the coins before I grouted them.
Doing the 3-D pattern that I did added to the time, so I'm sure a random pattern could be set faster.
If you're going to use the adhesive, I'd experiment with how large an area you can spread the adhesive and how fast you can place the pennies before the adhesive starts to dry. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself too far with the adhesive and find the pennies aren't sticking properly. Uncovered adhesive spread out thin, as recommended by that site with the penny tiles, will set up quickly.
I used a product called Bondera as the adhesive for my backsplash. There is no drying time with Bondera as it's a pressure sensitive adhesive double sided sheet, so I didn't have to worry about my adhesive drying up. I'm pretty sure Bondera is designed for backsplashes only and not made for any weight on top of it, and the cost per roll would be too expensive for a whole floor.

Good luck, hags
Attachments
Backsplash 3.jpg
Backsplash 3.jpg (458.88 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Backsplash 2.jpg
Backsplash 2.jpg (373.81 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 am

Wow, way cool - well done. "Even" the wife liked it and she's a fussy decorator type - she liked how well it went with your sink and faucet.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Sun May 14, 2017 11:14 am

Impressive job. I love how you sorted out by shade. That must have been a chore.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 14, 2017 5:08 pm

This seems like a back-breaking job. Would it be feasible to take pennies and affix them to some type of one square foot tile, which would then be affixed to the floor? That way you could do most of the work sitting at a table instead of kneeling on the floor. I've never done this type of work before- just my thought about how to make the job a bit less back-breaking.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 14, 2017 5:14 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:Great plan!

I would also hide a couple wheats, George V or VI and even some common date indian heads for people to discover.....

Cheers,

I could see this strategy backfiring if you had a not-so-welcome visitor stay too long because they heard you have a good date hidden somewhere and they are determined to find it.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 14, 2017 5:23 pm

hags wrote:I did my backsplash in all copper pennies.
I estimate my backsplash took 6,000 pennies to complete and I had approx. 30 hours alone in setting the coins before I grouted them.

I hear that pennies attract roaches... (jk)

Actually the photos look fantastic! Do you put some kind of epoxy coating on the pennies to keep them from getting wet? I'm thinking about coins put into a fountain for charity and how they can become ugly pretty quickly.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 14, 2017 5:23 pm

hags wrote:I did my backsplash in all copper pennies.

I hear that pennies attract roaches... (jk)

Actually the photos look fantastic! Do you put some kind of epoxy coating on the pennies to keep them from getting wet? I'm thinking about coins put into a fountain for charity and how they can become ugly pretty quickly.

Recyclersteve

Postby hags » Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

68Camaro wrote:Wow, way cool - well done. "Even" the wife liked it and she's a fussy decorator type - she liked how well it went with your sink and faucet.

Thanks, I'm glad she likes it. The faucet and sink are solid copper, so they match well with the backsplash.
The outlet covers are also solid copper. A truth be told, the backspalsh was 6,000 copper pennies, so $60 for the coins, but the outlet covers cost over $200 for the solid copper covers. :shock: I tried brown covers, black covers, clear glass covers, etc., nothing looked good until I tried the solid copper covers.

Recyclersteve wrote:I hear that pennies attract roaches... (jk)

I sealed everything with grout sealer once the grouting was finished. I haven't noted any change to the copper so far. The backsplash really doesn't get wet. The granite backsplash on the counter top may get some water on it, but the coins never really get used as an official backsplash.

Thanks for the compliments, sorry to hijack the topic,

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Very cool Penny kitchen! I'm sure Adam Youngs himself would be quite impressed with this! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing