Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 am

I searched another $1000 of boxed, machine-wrapped halves today and again it was totally skunky. Then I reverted back to my faithful friend, the penny. I always find something. Tonight it was a 1922 wheat...my oldest so far. It is quite worn and has seen better days, but it is 89-years old so that's to be expected. Right after the 1922, I found a 1929 in the same box. That date immediately made me think of the crash and the Great Depression. Fitting, isn't it, given what we are facing in the near future?

Keep on $ortin' & hoardin'.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 1922

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:10 am

1922 is a key date.. does it have a D mintmark?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:54 am

Diggin4copper wrote:1922 is a key date.. does it have a D mintmark?

2D OR NOT 2D, THAT IS THE QUESTION. (Sorry, Mr. Shakespeare)

Well, now that you mention it, under my magnifying glass it appears that there was a D but it has worn away.

The reverse is very worn, with "TES" of UNITED STATES hardly visible. Parts of AMERICA as well...

Any guess as to the value? 1 cent?

1922 Face.JPG
See what I mean?
1922 Face.JPG (144.4 KiB) Viewed 453 times

1922 Reverse.JPG
Very worn.
1922 Reverse.JPG (144.74 KiB) Viewed 453 times
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 am

shinnosuke wrote:I searched another $1000 of boxed, machine-wrapped halves today and again it was totally skunky. Then I reverted back to my faithful friend, the penny. I always find something. Tonight it was a 1922 wheat...my oldest so far. It is quite worn and has seen better days, but it is 89-years old so that's to be expected. Right after the 1922, I found a 1929 in the same box. That date immediately made me think of the crash and the Great Depression. Fitting, isn't it, given what we are facing in the near future?

If only these old coins could talk and tell us of their travels, adventures, what they were used to purchase, etc!!! How awesome that would be!!!!!!!

ENjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

PreservingThePast wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:I searched another $1000 of boxed, machine-wrapped halves today and again it was totally skunky. Then I reverted back to my faithful friend, the penny. I always find something. Tonight it was a 1922 wheat...my oldest so far. It is quite worn and has seen better days, but it is 89-years old so that's to be expected. Right after the 1922, I found a 1929 in the same box. That date immediately made me think of the crash and the Great Depression. Fitting, isn't it, given what we are facing in the near future?

If only these old coins could talk and tell us of their travels, adventures, what they were used to purchase, etc!!! How awesome that would be!!!!!!!

Totally awesome. I hope some of the CU rich coins we are finding now survive the smelter's pot and tell their own story 50 years from now.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

A nice find! I guess since there is no silver in SA. pennies will have to do! :lol:
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:56 pm

sparechange wrote:A nice find! I guess since there is no silver in SA. pennies will have to do! :lol:

That's right. None. I am a pennyholic now.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing