Copper is Flying Today!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper is Flying Today!

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:19 am

Per Kitcometals.com, copper is currently $2.81, up a whopping 3.42%. This appears to be the first time above $2.80 since around April, 2015. I wonder how long before scrapping prices are raised. What is everyone hearing in terms of catalysts for the big move? I'm seeing nothing in the news on kitcometals.com.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Copper is Flying Today!

Postby smackvay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 am

To the moon baby I have a pile(huge)
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Freeport Mcmoran took huge swing up as well for any folks in copper miner Stocks
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Per Kitcometals.com, copper is currently $2.81, up a whopping 3.42%. This appears to be the first time above $2.80 since around April, 2015. I wonder how long before scrapping prices are raised. What is everyone hearing in terms of catalysts for the big move? I'm seeing nothing in the news on kitcometals.com.

They are been a lot of production/mining delays that has really hurt the output of copper. This and seemily increased demand in copper has the "experts" predicting a "shortage" of copper by middle of next year.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm

It is hard to imagine any true shortage of copper in the next few years. I'd like to see what one of the so-called experts says when they factor in all the new upcoming supply. An example is the gigantic mine in the Globe/Superior area of Arizona which is currently in the permitting stage- I know that permitting can last for years.

The mine's site is at resolutioncopper.com. It is a partnership between BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto.

The website says Arizona supplies about 68% of all the copper mined in the U.S. And that this mine all by itself is envisioned to supply 25% of all the copper used in the country when fully operational.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:50 am

highroller4321 wrote:Interesting article!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1AB0T6

Makes me wonder who will pickup the slack in the refining and subsequent pollution?
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 pm

India is planning 400 new coal power plants, they need copper too, someone else will take the scrap. Asian economies are flying, extreme growth to bring the classes up. The cycle of investment must be doing well, caterpillar shares are at a 5 year high.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/copper- ... 1501749868
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am

Copper got at high at $2.97 so far today per http://www.kitcometals.com.

Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 am

Why I still stack Cu.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Zinc also flying. Zinc pennies now at 80% melt to face value according to Coinflation.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Also nickel is back over $5 a pound for the first time in a while...and still only a small fraction of its all-time high.

Recyclersteve

Postby realhumancopper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Will any of us live long enough to be able to sell their coppers, legally, for melt?................................b
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 am

As we've almost certainly got people on here in their teens and twenties, I'm quite confident in saying that someone here will be able to sell for melt before they pass. I think that is a fairly safe statement. My over/under on when the world is going to end is out a ways...

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:56 am

Well what will happen copper up to $3 or Aluminum up to $1? Copper at $2.9667 Alum at $.9604 as I post this. I say Alum to a buck will happen first!
hobo finds

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm

realhumancopper wrote:Will any of us live long enough to be able to sell their coppers, legally, for melt?................................b

Good question. But, should things continue as they are I see copper as the poor man's silver. Just like silver is the poor man's gold now. Or in other words, junk (95%) copper coins will trade like junk (90%) silver coins of today. In my lifetime? Maybe, maybe not. In my kid's lifetime . . . likely.
Last edited by johnbrickner on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am

hobo finds wrote:Well what will happen copper up to $3 or Aluminum up to $1? Copper at $2.9667 Alum at $.9604 as I post this. I say Alum to a buck will happen first!

I'm guessing copper to $3 will happen first- it was already slightly above $2.99 so it doesn't need to do that much on a percentage basis. For aluminum to go from $.9604 to $1 is a full 4.1% move. That same percentage move in copper (from the price mentioned above) would take it to $3.08. Therefore, I'm betting on copper.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Copper jumped up $.06 cents to $3.02 as I post this!
hobo finds

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Copper cent now worth 2.02 cents.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Got as high as $3.0423 :thumbup:
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm

That was fast! If anyone could honestly say their net worth went up sharply today because of copper (assuming they didn't have call options or futures or a heavy bet on copper miners) I would think at least one of these things happened:

1. They have a very low net worth (like under a thousand dollars) so for it to be up sharply is no big deal;
2. They are an extreme hoarder of copper and it must take up a lot of space (think Kyle Bass and his million dollars face in nickels- maybe Adam Youngs would be in this category);
3. They are lying.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am

Was at $3.09 for awhile today!
hobo finds

Postby smackvay » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:41 am

I sold 2900 pounds of number 1 for $2.58 a pound last Saturday

Sold some other stuff at the highest price I have seen in almost 3 years
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 am

Recyclersteve wrote:That was fast! If anyone could honestly say their net worth went up sharply today because of copper (assuming they didn't have call options or futures or a heavy bet on copper miners) I would think at least one of these things happened:

1. They have a very low net worth (like under a thousand dollars) so for it to be up sharply is no big deal;
2. They are an extreme hoarder of copper and it must take up a lot of space (think Kyle Bass and his million dollars face in nickels- maybe Adam Youngs would be in this category);
3. They are lying.

All true and no debate. However, what will it look like 20 years from now?

I'm guessing a literal tons of copper has been stripped and scrapped from abandoned part of Detroit, New Orleans, and can I add swampy Huston to be next on the list? More cities and subsequent relocations/exodus will follow. Scrapping appears to be a growing and noble profession. Simply put America just doesn't have the money to rebuild the infrastructure of these cities all over. It's more profitable to scrap the parts left by the wayside. Not to mention the infrastructure that needs repaired on a national basis that is being left by the wayside also.

I can see the slow decline causing a slow contraction against an inflation bent policy keeping copper prices more or less constant and possibly less wildly fluctuating prices. But, amongst the continued and long-term economic decline (and continued devaluation of the dollar, loss of petro dollar status, etc.) should it's value as a semi-hard form of currency be ignored?

I wonder . . . perhaps to much?
Last edited by johnbrickner on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Why is it that copper that is contaminated with sewer water, chemicals and other pollutants from Houston will be just fine for recycling, but if I find a penny that has been sitting in a fountain, I might not even be able to read the date?!? It doesn't seem fair...

Oh well, here I am venting about copper- the people of Texas and Louisiana have much more serious issues at this time.

Recyclersteve

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing