Copper Cent Question

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What do you or are you still doing with the copper cent?

I keep the ones I get in pocket change.
36%
I still get rolls from the bank and search for copper ones.
18%
I still buy copper cents from others.
3%
I still sell my copper cents to others.
3%
I spend them as I get them.
6%
I am holding on to them as a investment.
29%
I sold all of the ones I had.
6%

Total votes : 125

Copper Cent Question

Postby hobo finds » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm

What do you or are you still doing with the copper cent?
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Copper Cent Question

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey Hobo- nice poll question. I will be watching this one closely.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Rosco » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 am

So far I have lots of Friends
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:24 am

Very long term view. Holding on to them as insurance 1st, investment 2ndary. Same as PMs. Now, silver = poor man's gold. Future, copper = poor man's silver. Now = a lot of poor men. Future = a hellofalotmore poor men by today's accounting and financial measuring.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 am

I'm not at the moment actively searching, though as a hobby collector I did find looking through them relaxing. I keep wheats and clean memorials. Turn over the others. (Finding very few keepers these days.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 am

It would be interesting if another choice in the survey said something like: "I'd sell right my copper right now if I could cover freight and handling charges and break even."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Changechecker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:04 pm

I use mine as a basement anchor in case of a hurricane.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

I still keep the ones I find in pocket change. I haven't searched any rolls from the bank for a few months now..... :|
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby marine70 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am

Being retired it relaxes me to search the boxes that I get from the bank. I love finding the wheats and sometimes errors. I sell for a small profit however if I put the money I have invested in the coppers, I make more than the interest I could have made if the money was in the bank. The only down side is I have a bad back and tugging around the pennies kills my back.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:36 am

$5 at a time. 2 rolls of nickels and 2 rolls of cents. Just enough to keep going in the interim.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm curious how many people still have a source for coins and for dumping them. Sounds like a good idea for a new poll. Stay tuned...

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 pm

about the only time i do pennies anymore , is when my banker buddy calls and tells me to pick up his change. that way he does not have to send it out.
cwgii

Postby MUTiger » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:18 pm

I still call a local bank most Fridays to see if they have bags of pennies off the counter. I average $50-$100 per month. It has went down since the new vault teller does not save them for me whereas the old one would hold them from the normal Wednesday Brinks pickup. I used to get about $200-$250 per month. That is fine as I have not dedicated as much time to sorting as I did in the past and have accumulated over $5,000 in unsorted bags.
MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm

$5,000 in unsorted bags. Wow!

Sounds like you could use a Ryedale sorting machine, and I bet you can get a great price on a used one, possibly even from someone on this site, if you are so inclined. Those things are very rugged and should allow you to sort through 1-2 million pennies without blinking.

Recyclersteve

Postby Klark Cent » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 pm

I now only keep the ones I find in pocket change.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MUTiger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:$5,000 in unsorted bags. Wow!

Sounds like you could use a Ryedale sorting machine, and I bet you can get a great price on a used one, possibly even from someone on this site, if you are so inclined. Those things are very rugged and should allow you to sort through 1-2 million pennies without blinking.

I do have a Ryedale sorting machine and three different counters (Downey-Johnson, Klopp ET and a Glory SS-20) just not much time to sort. I think new vault tellers at the bank also do not answer my phone calls anymore. It seems to just ring now when I call on Fridays. Darn caller ID.

Penny Bags.jpg
One stack of two. About 25 or 26 bags per side of the stack.
Penny Bags.jpg (264.01 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 am

mutiger wrote:

I do have a Ryedale sorting machine and three different counters (Downey-Johnson, Klopp ET and a Glory SS-20) just not much time to sort. I think new vault tellers at the bank also do not answer my phone calls anymore. It seems to just ring now when I call on Fridays. Darn caller ID.

Penny Bags.jpg

MUTiger

From the looks of that photo, people in Montecito, CA could have used them as sand bags recently! :)

Just curious, how many coins are there in each bag? Is it 5,000 pennies per bag by any chance?

Recyclersteve

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am

I am a very causal sorter. I look at every penny given in change. Buy rolls from friendly cashiers. CWR's from Mom & Pop convenience stores seem best. I can order all the pennies and halves I want, but no longer have a place to dump them. Most of my copper activities are scraping old motors & computers now.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Grabbed two boxes from different banks today. They probably won't get sorted for a while, but having a plan makes the world better. :thumbup:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
mutiger wrote:

Penny Bags.jpg

MUTiger

From the looks of that photo, people in Montecito, CA could have used them as sand bags recently! :)

Just curious, how many coins are there in each bag? Is it 5,000 pennies per bag by any chance?

They are $50.00 (5,000 pennies) bags. I usually find from 1 to 6 dimes per bag. Since I got the Glory SS-20 I run the bag through that machine first to sort off the dimes and other stuff. Typically, I make money by just getting the bags from the bank at $50.00. I then run through the Ryedale with copper accept and then rerun through the Ryedale with zinc accept. This usually kicks out any pre 1940 wheat pennies and sometimes an occasional Indian head (I have found 17 wild Indians). I then look at the dates of all the copper and pick out the uglies, S mint marks and shiny LMCs. Zinclons get a quick scan to see if there are any Canadian or other odd stuff. Zinc gets dumped at a couple of different banks or Coinstar for Amazon, Lowe's or Home Depot.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby MUTiger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: Most of my copper activities are scraping old motors & computers now.

I also scrap stuff and have a bunch of old scrapped computer parts and often look at the process to recover the gold from boards and fingers. What do you do with the gold bearing stuff? Do you sell or just throw in with the shred steel?

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

mutiger wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: Most of my copper activities are scraping old motors & computers now.

I also scrap stuff and have a bunch of old scrapped computer parts and often look at the process to recover the gold from boards and fingers. What do you do with the gold bearing stuff? Do you sell or just throw in with the shred steel?

MUTiger

I was using a chlorine strip process but you need a fume hood to carry away the fumes. A retort is better, but I don't know how to build one. I have talked to a couple of chemical engineers, but they want waaaay too much $$$ for a scrap hobby. Once you get the precious metals together you sell them to a refiner. I became concerned about the neighbors so I am not removing the metals from the boards for now. I just throw them into buckets. Maybe I will sell them that way and let someone else deal with the chemical issues. I am after the copper. I have 7 PC's waiting for me to go at 'em.

I have a bunch of electric motors and refrigerant compressors waiting for me, too. I need to get off my lazy duff and get to work!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 pm

I sell my medium and high grade boards to this guy. http://www.cashforcomputerscrap.com/ prices are good but shipping costs a lot from where I live to get to Ohio.

Current Pricing

R2/RIOS Processed!

Buying Electronic Precious Metal Scrap!
Cash for your Computer Scrap | Cash for Computer Scrap

PRICING EFFECTIVE (this means it is current)
9/11/2017

ATTENTION: If interested in working with us, please allow us to send you a quote on shipping picked up at your door!

Pricing delivered to our dock (44146)
PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS
Please remove batteries and excess AL and Steel - Please remove mercury relays as well. Those will incur a charge if received.
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$1.80 Motherboards Small Socket (All Colors - P4 and Newer)
$3.10 Motherboards Large Socket (All Colors - Slot, P3 and older)
$2.35 Motherboards Large Socket Low Grade (All Colors - primarily socket type 462)
$2.15 Mid Grade High - Finger Board Trimmed/Devalued, Peripheral Boards, Wireless Router Boards Low End
$3.85 Finger Boards (Only need to remove OVERSIZED heatsinks, battery... metal bracket is OK)
$3.65 Dual Socket Server Boards - Large Socket
$2.80 Dual Socket Server Boards - Small Socket
$3.90 to 6.00+ Telecom (Paid on Sort)
$3.10 CD/DVD Boards (please remove ribbon wire and brown board if attached)
$3.90+ Tape Drive Boards (Paid on sort)
$4.25 Laptop Motherboard Boards

HIGH VALUE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$6.00 RAMBUS (Memory with METAL Enclosure)
$9.25 Hard Drive Boards (Sorting fee of $.30 per lb. Hard Drive Boards paid on sort once removing Floppy, CD/DVD and Media Boards)
$9.25 Cell Phone Boards CLEAN (please remove excess Plastic, Steel, Screens, Aluminum and Battery)
$-.30/lb Memory Mixed (Sorting fee of $.30 per lb. Memory paid on sort at pricing below)
$15.25 Gold Memory
$7.50 Silver/Tin Memory
$20.00 Gold Fingers (Pricing is for quality cut trim. Little to no Green, otherwise deduction)
$12.50 Slot Processor

OTHER PRECIOUS METAL ITEMS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$0.80 Gold Connectors
$4.25 Cell Phones w/o battery
$4.50 IC Chips/Eproms

CPUs (Must be Sorted)
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$110.00 Intel 386 and 486
$90.00 Motorola
$60.00 Pentium Pro Gold Caps
$35.00 Cyrix/IBM/VIA Gold Cap
$30.00 Pentium Ceramic
$28.00 AMD Ceramic Clean (without Al. Cap)
$30.00 Black Fiber CPU
$12.50 Green/Brown Fiber without Heatsink
$6.15 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pins
$4.40 Green Fiber with Heatsink - Pinless

COMPUTER/SERVER PARTS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$0.75 Hard Drives Complete
$0.55 Hard Drives Complete (Bent, Punched, Crushed - NOT Shredded)
$0.35 Hard Drives w/o Boards
$0.29 Power Supply w/ Wire
$0.21 Power Supply w/o Wire
$0.19 Mixed Floppy/CD/DVD Drives

OTHER ITEMS
PRICE/LB MATERIAL
$1.20 Laptops Complete
$0.90 Incomplete laptops (Must have Motherboard)
$1.50 Li Ion Laptop (Exposed terminals MUST be taped)
$-.30 Terminal Tape Fee
$0.50 Li Ion Cell Phone Batteries (Exposed terminals MUST be taped)
$0.40 Li Ion Rechargeable - Non Laptop and Cell (Exposed terminals MUST be taped)(No ECIG or Lithium Compound batteries!)
$0.35 AC Adapter w/ Wire
$0.25 AC Adapter w/o Wire
$0.60 Mixed Computer Wire
$0.85 Ribbon wire with ends (Must be PRESORTED from other wire)
$0.80 Cat5 with ends (Must be PRESORTED from other wire)
$0.00 Mixed Computer Plastic (NO METAL!)
$0.30 Clean Aluminum Heatsink
$0.80 Clean Cu/Al Heatsink
$1.50 15" LCD [per UNIT] DESKTOP LCD MONITORS - with or without BASE - No screen bleeding, gouges, Cracks, Cut cables, water damage. Must be monitor, NOT just a panel
$5.00 17"+ LCD [per UNIT] DESKTOP LCD MONITOR - with or without BASE - No screen bleeding, gouges, Cracks, Cut cables, water damage . Must be monitor, NOT just a panel
$1.50 Laptop Screens [per UNIT] Must be in case, pass light test, be in tact, no bleeding, water damage or cracks. Cut wire -$1.00/unit - NO Netbook Screens - ONLY for Laptop Screens

Prices are subject to change without notice.
Pricing is determined by date of RECEIPT of material unless otherwise noted.

Anything else, send us an email: info@CashForComputerScrap.com Thanks
hobo finds

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:20 am

Deleted post (I forgot how to quote someone)
Last edited by Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 am

hobo finds wrote:I sell my medium and high grade boards to this guy. http://www.cashforcomputerscrap.com/ prices are good but shipping costs a lot from where I live to get to Ohio.

Thanks! It is nice to be back. That is the second money making tip I have gotten this week. AND all this talk about old (1922) Wheaties, and copper mine stocks, has got me rev'd up too!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing