Do You Have a Good Source for Coins & a Good Dump Location?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Do You Have a Good Source for Coins & A Good Dump Location?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:53 pm

I think that some of the recent lack of interest in coins has to do with more than just the prices of metals, but the availability of coins and dump sites without forcing us to wrap our own coins or pay sizable fees to return them. That said, here is my poll question. Please check up to two choices of the following:
3%
I have a good source for boxes of coins without paying special fees (i.e., $25 in pennies at a time, $100 in nickels, etc.) (halves are assumed to be generally not available in box quantity).
44%
I do not have a place nearby where I can get boxes of coins without paying fees.
3%
I have a good dump site where I can drop off coins without paying fees. If there is a fee (i.e., Coinstar), I am able to get gift cards that I can still effectively use without paying fees.
44%
I do NOT have a dump site where I can drop off coins without paying fees.
6%
Banks and credit unions in our area won't even allow people with accounts to dump without paying fees.
No votes

Total votes : 34

Do You Have a Good Source for Coins & a Good Dump Location?

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I think that some of the recent lack of interest in coins has to do with more than just the prices of metals, but the availability of coins and dump sites without forcing us to wrap our own coins and/or pay sizable fees to return them. That said, Do You Have a Good Source for Coins & A Good Dump Location?

For the sake of privacy you do not need to indicate where you live if you are not comfortable providing that type of personal information. After all, who is going to move to another part of the country merely to be able to get/dump coins? And if you moved anyway and the rules were later changed so you could no longer get/dump coins, that would really suck!
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Do You Have a Good Source for Coins & a Good Dump Locati

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:56 pm

The first item listed in the poll is not meant to be a poll response. Please do NOT put a checkmark in the box which has my general commentary- this is the same commentary that is in my post immediately below the poll.

I will edit this if I can figure out how to take that first response out.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 am

A local bank, credit union with free Member coin counter, and major bank all with branches everywhere and a really local bank closest to where I work that is really good to me. They've called me for my supply of wrapped coins when they needed them for commercial accounts. No problem getting what I want to search or unloading the sorted.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am

johnbrickner wrote: They've called me for my supply of wrapped coins when they needed them for commercial accounts. No problem getting what I want to search or unloading the sorted.

Now THAT is a good sign! Thanks John.

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am

Removal of the free coin counter from my cu several years ago and the demise of the td penny arcade has definitely been part of a set of events that has slowed me down to a near stop. Other events include the out of state move of a friend who managed a bank branch that was my supply bank when I was doing volume hunting. Throw in the decline in yield and the drop in price, add in the volume of my existing holdings, and my general lack of time, and I've decided I'm at a point where I need to spend my time doing other things. (Right now learning about 12v batteries, chargers, inverters, converters, etc).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm

The withdrawal of the penny in Canada cut out 1/2 the hobby. Low prices for Ni and poor yield hunting for it makes Ni less interesting. I keep all the Ni Nickels I come across but do not generally try to get them from the banks. ~~~~
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:40 pm

JadeDragon wrote:The withdrawal of the penny in Canada cut out 1/2 the hobby. Low prices for Ni and poor yield hunting for it makes Ni less interesting. I keep all the Ni Nickels I come across but do not generally try to get them from the banks. ~~~~

+1....however I get tempted around the holidays to get a few Nickel box because a lot of loose change get return to the banks around that time of the year.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:43 am

I have found a bank nearby with both a lobby counter and a no hassle pre-order coin policy. They'll even order boxes of half dollars, something TD (in Connecticut) would never do. I was getting a box of dimes from them once a week all summer, but the average was maybe two silver dimes per box, and the coin counter doesn't have a magnet. No magnet = no free Canadian.

And while although the infrastructure is still in place to support copper sorting, I am of the opinion now that the demise of the cent is something most of us will not live to see, making "melt value", for all practical purposes, a make believe term.

If I were so inclined, stacking bricks of unsorted US nickels probably makes the most sense, as there is little effort involved in carting them home, zero sorting, and they are easily traded back for hundred dollar bills.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby bradjames12 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:01 pm

My wife recently started working for a bank. I can get whatever I want including boxes of halves.

Where I bank at (not same place my wife works) I am able dump. Just dumped $300 in halves this morning.
bradjames12

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:48 pm

From the survey results so far, it seems like most everyone has good places to obtain and dump coins. That's surprising to me. Based on the number of negative comments I've heard on this site over the years, I thought the poll would've about 50/50. Yet less than 10% of the admittedly small sample size have difficulty. I guess this is a case of the few who don't have access screaming louder, which actually makes sense.

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:50 pm

At least the 10 people that responded... Ok maybe 14
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby everything » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:24 pm

This guy needs a dump location. Fayetteville man receives last paycheck in oil-covered pennies dumped on his driveway

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/fayettevill ... s-driveway
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:17 am

If anyone wanted to redo this poll now, I imagine the results would be VERY DIFFERENT!

Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing