Uh, that was embarrassing

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Uh, that was embarrassing

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am

Well, every time I go to my dump bank I see/learn something interesting. Whether it's foreign coins in the trash or a conversation with another person bringing in a small jar of change, I get a better idea of what people think of their change with each trip. Today was no different.

Yesterday I picked up what is for me, a hand-sorter, a lot of coins so I decided to divide the dump between my regular credit union branch and another of their branches nearby. When I went to the 2nd location, I discovered that they don't have a coin-counter at that location. So back I went to my regular place. I pushed the start button on the coin counter and it didn't start. A friendly teller with whom I have spoken before came out and found that it was jammed with coins from the previous dumper. After he fixed it (we both thought), he started the counter and all the coins from the previous chap became mine. Cha-Ching $1.27 for free...But wait, the story gets better.

When I had run another $75 or so through, the dang thing jammed again. Out comes the same teller again and he opened the counter to check things out. This time though it's my money down inside and several dimes dropped through...my best estimate is 50-60 cents. The teller just reached down in the bin and grabbed a small handful and handed it to me as reimbursement...another buck or so. I was speechless, but his comment was priceless. "We don't count the money here anyway. It is counted by the company that picks it up." In other words, there would be no way to track the shortage back to any particular transaction on the machine that day.

Then the teller had to figure out why the machine had jammed again. What he found was surprising. In fact, I don't know how he missed it the first time or how I was able to run any of my coins through. See the pictures below for what he pulled out.

The token reads, GOOD FOR ALL NIGHT, and, A SURE SCREW AT, ROSIE'S PALACE, MADAM ROSE BAKKAR, PROPRIETOR. The same token is being sold on feebay.
Attachments
's Palace2.JPG
's Palace2.JPG (137.12 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
's Palace1.JPG
's Palace1.JPG (140.96 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Uh, that was embarrassing

Postby markey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 am

How funny! I bet the two of you got a good laugh over that. I used a coinstar a few days ago and when I checked the return tray, someone had tried to cash in a Chuck E Cheese token. You just never know!!!
markey

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:23 am

markey wrote:How funny! I bet the two of you got a good laugh over that. I used a coinstar a few days ago and when I checked the return tray, someone had tried to cash in a Chuck E Cheese token. You just never know!!!

Not funny...embarrassing. He thought it was mine from a trip to Nevada.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 am

Cool story.... :D
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby sparechange » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Was it very difficult to explain to the wife?
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm

buy 6 more off of ebay and you're set for a week!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:31 pm

misteroman wrote:buy 6 more off of ebay and you're set for a week!

Hehe....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:52 am

sparechange wrote:Was it very difficult to explain to the wife?

Mrs. shinnosuke is very understanding and trusting. No problem. However, things have taken a somber turn around our home. She is from Japan and her brother and his wife and two young children are missing. They live in Sendai. We have no word from them...just hoping for the best. Say some prayers if you do that sort of thing.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:54 am

Our prayers are with them and your family and the many others affected by this terrible disaster. I hope all goes well with your family.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

sparechange wrote:Our prayers are with them and your family and the many others affected by this terrible disaster. I hope all goes well with your family.

Thanks very much for those kind words. We still have no word. It's daybreak over there now and we are wondering how they are faring since the world turned upside down for them.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm

I wish a safe and happy return for everyone in your family!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Well, every time I go to my dump bank I see/learn something interesting. Whether it's foreign coins in the trash or a conversation with another person bringing in a small jar of change, I get a better idea of what people think of their change with each trip. Today was no different.

Yesterday I picked up what is for me, a hand-sorter, a lot of coins so I decided to divide the dump between my regular credit union branch and another of their branches nearby. When I went to the 2nd location, I discovered that they don't have a coin-counter at that location. So back I went to my regular place. I pushed the start button on the coin counter and it didn't start. A friendly teller with whom I have spoken before came out and found that it was jammed with coins from the previous dumper. After he fixed it (we both thought), he started the counter and all the coins from the previous chap became mine. Cha-Ching $1.27 for free...But wait, the story gets better.

When I had run another $75 or so through, the dang thing jammed again. Out comes the same teller again and he opened the counter to check things out. This time though it's my money down inside and several dimes dropped through...my best estimate is 50-60 cents. The teller just reached down in the bin and grabbed a small handful and handed it to me as reimbursement...another buck or so. I was speechless, but his comment was priceless. "We don't count the money here anyway. It is counted by the company that picks it up." In other words, there would be no way to track the shortage back to any particular transaction on the machine that day.

Then the teller had to figure out why the machine had jammed again. What he found was surprising. In fact, I don't know how he missed it the first time or how I was able to run any of my coins through. See the pictures below for what he pulled out.

The token reads, GOOD FOR ALL NIGHT, and, A SURE SCREW AT, ROSIE'S PALACE, MADAM ROSE BAKKAR, PROPRIETOR. The same token is being sold on feebay.

A great post, worth bringing up to date. :clap:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:06 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

Mrs. shinnosuke is very understanding and trusting. No problem. However, things have taken a somber turn around our home. She is from Japan and her brother and his wife and two young children are missing. They live in Sendai. We have no word from them...just hoping for the best. Say some prayers if you do that sort of thing.

What ever happened regarding the missing family members?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby chris6084 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

What ever happened regarding the missing family members?

He left this board and vowed to never return. So don't count on getting an answer
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm

[/quote]Mrs. shinnosuke is very understanding and trusting. No problem. However, things have taken a somber turn around our home. She is from Japan and her brother and his wife and two young children are missing. They live in Sendai. We have no word from them...just hoping for the best. Say some prayers if you do that sort of thing.[/quote]

[/quote]What ever happened regarding the missing family members?[/quote]

[/quote]He left this board and vowed to never return. So don't count on getting an answer[/quote]

Did he give a reason for leaving RC?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Not going to speak for him so take this as an opinion but I believe he thought RC as a group was overly heavy handed with regard to some discipline imposed on another former member. I won't get into the details of the events. So in the spirit of his beliefs (which I respect) he cast his vote on the matter by leaving. He's still around on BS.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 am

For the sordid details:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26252&p=238180#p238180

Unclear why the booting of a troll triggered a valued member to leave, but nice to hear he is still participating elsewhere.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Shazbot57 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Morsecode wrote:For the sordid details:

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t ... 80#p238180

Unclear why the booting of a troll triggered a valued member to leave, but nice to hear he is still participating elsewhere.

Thanks for the context. I must have missed that drama about trolling over discussions, etc, (because I don't remember the aforementioned broo-ha-ha). Or more likely, I saw it and moved on to other posts. Life is too short for 'stoopid' drama. As always, thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge & humor!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing