Convenient jobs & activities for CRH?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Convenient jobs & activities for CRH?

Postby PennyPincher » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm curious and looking for new ways to acquire coins for CRH.

What are some jobs or activities that would allow me to come into contact with coins?

Obviously, working at a bank is a strong option, but what else could one do that would enable coin acquisition? Cashier? Operating vending machines?

I'm desperate for more coins. I *love* CRH, but my coin supply keeps running out.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'd enjoy seeing some "outside of the box" ideas.
PennyPincher

Re: Convenient jobs & activities for CRH?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Churches get a lot of coins when they pass the collection plate.

Also, you might check with the Salvation Army around this time of year. They have those people that sit next to the kettles and ring the bells so that people will donate. But you'd likely have to be more than a bell ringer to get access to the coins.

Another thing you could do is check with anyone who has a fountain that gets lots of coins- those are often dirty coins that sometimes need to be processed with something like a rock tumbler before they will be recognizable.

Also, you could advertise first with friends and neighbors that you will take coins in bulk without charging the 9% Coinstar fee. Depending on how safe you feel, you might consider extending this to nextdoor.com or Craig's List. This potentially would be a valuable service for elderly folks who don't get out very easily and don't want to lug around heavy containers with coins in them.

You could even branch out into buying foreign coins by the pound if you like.

Please let us know how this works out and what you decide to do. This is something I have thought of as well. I was just trying to work out the security details of doing such a thing.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:22 am

My school district had a donate your change class room challenge as did my daughter's school some time after. Ours was by total $$, daughters was by weight. I volunteered to help count and roll at my district (gave paper for metal) and then forwarded the unwanted zinc to daughter. Could have volunteered at her school but, . . . let's just say they can get very picky with who they let volunteer for what so we get very selective at what we volunteer for and stay away from the politics.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby marine70 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am

One of the best ways is working for a beverage distributor coke pepsi etc . Re stocking machines.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am

Toll worker. I talk to one regularly who pulls lots of silver and old coins from circulation. Certain parking lot attendants may also get a lot of coinage.

I worked at a place years ago where repossessed and other used cars came through to be prepared for auction. The team of people who cleaned the interiors had access to all of the loose change and other items inside. Also anyone who scraps cars on the side or for a living will tell you they get a fair bit of loose change.

People who do cleanouts/junk removal also get a fair bit of coinage.

In another thread, Recyclersteve brought up scavenging at carwash vacuums.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Keep opening accounts at banks until you find one that will take care of your weekly box orders.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:59 am

Dr. Cadmium wrote:Toll worker. I talk to one regularly who pulls lots of silver and old coins from circulation. Certain parking lot attendants may also get a lot of coinage.

I worked at a place years ago where repossessed and other used cars came through to be prepared for auction. The team of people who cleaned the interiors had access to all of the loose change and other items inside. Also anyone who scraps cars on the side or for a living will tell you they get a fair bit of loose change.

People who do cleanouts/junk removal also get a fair bit of coinage.

In another thread, Recyclersteve brought up scavenging at carwash vacuums.

I've heard of people hitting the local "pull a part" and going through the cars for loose change and lost jewelry.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing