Space efficient copper penny storage

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Space efficient copper penny storage

Postby PennyPincher » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm

I found a free and space efficient method of storing pre-82 pennies. I went to the post office and got some of those free flat rate boxes (small size). Then, I stacked up the pennies in the following manner:

27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 27, 27, 27, 27
...27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 27, 27, 27

In all, that's exactly 2,300 pennies. The boxes stack on top of one another nicely, they seal tight with the glue underneath the sticker, and they're ready to be shipped or easily transported this way.

PennyPincher

Re: Space efficient copper penny storage

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Interesting idea- just don't sneeze before you seal the box! Thanks for sharing.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 am

Looks nice but wow that is a lot of counting and stacking. Mine live in $25 face bags, machine counted by my own coin counter.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:28 am

I agree, very space efficient, and I could see where it makes sense for people with limited space. (Beware of shipping like that though, with no internal bag backup. Drop and dent the box and open a crack, and it's all over.) Like JD though, I chose to balance time and space (whoa, that sounds like sci fi! :) ). Only difference is that I went with $50 bags rather than $25.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby everything » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

Found a guy on the bay market-master, he sells preformed penny rolls really really cheap, just roll them back up into the same boxes they come out of. It cost 15.70 for 500 preformed tubes, free shipping, now they want 18.56 for the same, so yeah that's 3 or 4 bucks to wrap up a 25 dollar box. If anyone has interest in the $25 bank boxes I'll save mine vs. dumping them in the recycle, the bags are a good idea as well, as that's how I bring zincers back to the bank, I like jars and jugs as well. If a fairly permanent home has been found, the 5 gallon pail works pretty well too. BUT, this flat rate box is a great idea for not blowing money on a dead end hobby that's not paying off.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am

I like it, all heads up? If you are goanna store them I would use extra tape, and the post office dose not like extra tape on the boxes if you are shipping them. But you could add them taped up into a larger flat rate box with packing material to keep them from opening up in the mail!
hobo finds

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 pm

hobo finds wrote:and the post office dose not like extra tape on the boxes if you are shipping them

I ALWAYS triple wrap the entire box with good 3M tape before I ship. I have never had a post office employee say anything about the extra tape. In fact, I have seen them encourage other customers to use more tape on poorly packaged boxes including flat rate boxes.

YMMV
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Changechecker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Great idea using the post office box. I might count and stack one. The rest would be weighted then packed tightly.
I stored mine in old coolers bought cheaply from garage sales or found curbside.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby PennyPincher » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm

It doesn't really take me any extra time, because I'm stacking them up as I search through the rolls. Using this method saved me a lot of closet space, plus they're easy to move around and stack for storage and transportation (it matters more when moving).

If I were to ship them, I'd place four of these small boxes inside one of the large flat rate boxes from the post office. I think they fit perfectly. Four of these boxes weighs under the 70 lb weight limit. Aside from the work of stacking the pennies in this fashion, it's difficult to beat efficient and free. For those of us living in apartments or condos, it can definitely be preferable.
PennyPincher

Postby Pachucko » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 pm

My OCD would love this!! :clap:

My lack of free time, not so much... :|
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sharkin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Too much work for me.

I have a 50 cal. ammo can full of pennies. Almost too heavy to carry.
Sharkin

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Sharkin wrote:Too much work for me.

I have a 50 cal. ammo can full of pennies. Almost too heavy to carry.

Hey Sharkin- you might want to post a message in the New Member Introductions area and let us know a bit about yourself. You can mention how you first heard about this site, your collecting story, and anything else interesting or unusual about you.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

I use 50 cal ammo cans also. $100 face will fit in them and they weigh 70lbs.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sharkin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Hey Sharkin- you might want to post a message in the New Member Introductions area and let us know a bit about yourself. You can mention how you first heard about this site, your collecting story, and anything else interesting or unusual about you.

I did that on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:41 pm.
Sharkin

Postby chris6084 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 am

Sanford02 wrote:
hobo finds wrote:and the post office dose not like extra tape on the boxes if you are shipping them

I ALWAYS triple wrap the entire box with good 3M tape before I ship. I have never had a post office employee say anything about the extra tape. In fact, I have seen them encourage other customers to use more tape on poorly packaged boxes including flat rate boxes.

YMMV

You can tape all you want, but there are postal employees who have said you can't use much tape. I had one tell me you can only use ONE piece of tape on the top and bottom on the seam only and not one piece more. When I asked how can I protect a heavy box, he told me you aren't supposed to ship heavy boxes...that's not the point of flat rate. :roll:
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DANZIG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 pm

I box them and put them in a dry crawl space.
DANZIG

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 am

You know you are a coin collecting freak when a photo like the one above gives you that "must sort more!" feeling in your chest. :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing