Penny, nickel and quarter.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny, nickel and quarter.

Postby biglouddrunk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:48 am

Of course for years the US has tried to introduce legislation to eliminate the penny. I have always found this dumb because as long as you have the nickel and quarter you'd still have two significant figures beyond the dollar. I'm surprised I've never heard of a plan to eliminate the penny, nickel and quarter all at once while ramping up production of the dime & half. One little thought of savings of such a plan would be electronic costs. I know it's only 8 bits worth of savings, but over the course of trillions of electronic transactions it would make an impact.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Penny, nickel and quarter.

Postby coppernickel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 am

The half dollar is out of vogue for almost 50 years, the death of Kennedy killed it.

The dime is too small.

I think reducing production to only the quarter may be the next step.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Not saying I like this, but I can see having a quarter and dollar coin and then stopping production of the $1 Federal Reserve Notes.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 pm

:lol: Guys,

I realized the problem. We are thinking logically, and presume the world will make sense.

We are way past any sanity. :lol:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm a math guy so I would find very annoying if they eliminated the penny, but still kept prices in hundredths of dollars.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm

We could do pretty well by just halting production of the dollar note and penny. Some retailers I work with are already rounding to the nickle. But, they won't, it's an inability to see or accept change, a prolific problem in the U.S.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 am

Trump has shown the ability to do unconventional stuff. I wonder (when things settle down a bit) if eliminating the penny could be on a list of potential future tweets...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby PennyPincher » Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

I hope they leave the penny in circulation. I think coin roll hunting is best with pennies, and if inflation continues, all of the pennies (zinc and copper) will represent a good store of value/cheap metal. Besides, there are still a lot of wheat pennies and foreign coins in the penny supply, plus I've been able to find several Indian head pennies in the last few years. I also enjoy finding the occasional dime.

If trends continue, the metal value of our nickels will eventually rise above 5 cents again. The price of nickel just hasn't been cooperating lately though... I'd like to see it back over $10/lb again.
PennyPincher

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 am

PennyPincher wrote:I hope they leave the penny in circulation. I think coin roll hunting is best with pennies, and if inflation continues, all of the pennies (zinc and copper) will represent a good store of value/cheap metal. Besides, there are still a lot of wheat pennies and foreign coins in the penny supply, plus I've been able to find several Indian head pennies in the last few years. I also enjoy finding the occasional dime.

If trends continue, the metal value of our nickels will eventually rise above 5 cents again. The price of nickel just hasn't been cooperating lately though... I'd like to see it back over $10/lb again.

Try Canadian .999 (pre 1982) nickels. They are worth well over 5 cents each right now. I frequently buy these from coin dealers for 4-5 cents each.

Recyclersteve

Postby smalltimeopn » Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Not sure this belongs under this topic but I think it may have some bearing on it.

I walked into one of the BB&T's in my area yesterday with a jar of coin to dump and saw a sign on the machine. I did not read it assuming the machine was out of order. Anyway, I was headed to a service call up the road where another BB&T was located and when I arrived there and went in saw the same sign on the machine which prompted me to actually read it.

They are taking their coin counters out of service as of 5/1. They stated the reason was because of the age machines and the cost to maintain them. They will still take rolled coin.

The whole episode made me wonder will there be a day when they won't take any coin?
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm

smalltimeopn wrote:Not sure this belongs under this topic but I think it may have some bearing on it.

I walked into one of the BB&T's in my area yesterday with a jar of coin to dump and saw a sign on the machine. I did not read it assuming the machine was out of order. Anyway, I was headed to a service call up the road where another BB&T was located and when I arrived there and went in saw the same sign on the machine which prompted me to actually read it.

They are taking their coin counters out of service as of 5/1. They stated the reason was because of the age machines and the cost to maintain them. They will still take rolled coin.

The whole episode made me wonder will there be a day when they won't take any coin?

It sure seems like we are going in that direction and it is very sad.

Recyclersteve

Postby maxwellsilverhammer » Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 pm

yes it seems collectible coinage is getting more difficult to find
maxwellsilverhammer

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing