consenses---dump ugly coins?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

consenses---dump ugly coins?

Postby cwgii » Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Everyone i talk to says --dump uglies. no one will buy them.

votes?
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: consenses---dump ugly coins?

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Get rid of them.....my 2 cents.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 am

I would get rid of them, even wheaties, unless they are really good ones or silver. A 1944 wheat cent that is really ugly... gone in nothing flat. I will never get excited about that type of coin and if someone else does, more power to them.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 am

I have some uglies in buckets. They will be either the first back in circulation or melted depending on how I feel and when the law allows it.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm

keep them copper is copper
hobo finds

Postby silverflake » Fri May 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Dump them in a bin or sink with some baking soda/vinegar/water....whatever. They won't be as ugly anymore and it's not like they are collectible so cleaning won't detract from collectibility. Seems like a possible solution. As some one else in the thread said, "copper is copper".

2 more cents worth (cleaned).

Stack.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 19, 2018 12:50 am

Although I agree in theory with the "copper is copper" sentiment, it also occurred to me that the person who eventually buys these coins might be a collector. If I have a bunch of ugly looking coins and someone else has nicer looking stuff they are selling for the same price, I may lose out on making the sale.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sat May 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Although I agree in theory with the "copper is copper" sentiment, it also occurred to me that the person who eventually buys these coins might be a collector. If I have a bunch of ugly looking coins and someone else has nicer looking stuff they are selling for the same price, I may lose out on making the sale.

Yep true that's why you gotta keep them separated. If you could sell cents for scrap value, you would want to get rid of the damaged or nasty ones first. Then the harder part I think, as you stated some may have collector value so you need to check
Last edited by hobo finds on Mon May 21, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds

Postby charlie1023 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 pm

I keep them all, you just never know and as already mentioned, copper is copper...
charlie1023

Postby coppernickel » Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm

I keep them. Space is not an issue.

Some are so bad they are "uncurrent" or "mutilated" and legally are no longer considered coins.
:)
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed May 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I keep everything. Like coppernickel said, space isn't an issue.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 pm

I was hoping someone would say "I get rid of all the old and ugly ones. Just ask my ex-wives!" :)

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I was hoping someone would say "I get rid of all the old and ugly ones. Just ask my ex-wives!" :)

If that were the case I'd be sitting on the curb. :shh:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 25, 2018 1:46 am

coppernickel wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I was hoping someone would say "I get rid of all the old and ugly ones. Just ask my ex-wives!" :)

If that were the case I'd be sitting on the curb. :shh:

A human craigslist curb alert. Now I've seen everything! :)

Recyclersteve

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Ditch the uglies and buy some shiny instead. Much better idea! ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverBandit22 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Me personally, I keep everything I find regardless of condition. Throw it on the copper stack and I'm sure no one will care too much when it comes time to sell off.
SilverBandit22

Postby Contradiction » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:26 pm

I don't have much experience like you guys, but I am keeping everything. At a minimum, the ugly penny is worth a penny which is more than what a paper dollar will be worth some day.

My green pennies are in a separate apple juice plastic bottle. (Don't worry, I already drank the juice and cleaned the bottle.)
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Contradiction wrote:I don't have much experience like you guys, but I am keeping everything. At a minimum, the ugly penny is worth a penny which is more than what a paper dollar will be worth some day.

My green pennies are in a separate apple juice plastic bottle. (Don't worry, I already drank the juice and cleaned the bottle.)

Hey, this guy has a sense of humor. I like that!

Recyclersteve

Postby everything » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 am

I put them through a vinegar wash/soak/swill, and don't mix them back in with the others. I just don't want the black or green mold spreading to the main pile. I then roll/box them up. I was tossing them back for quite awhile until they started getting dirtier, or I got pickier, and so stopped. I average about 30%, and pick about 60-70 dirties out of each $25 box. What is interesting about this, is that if a zincoln gets put into the vinegar soak, the vinegar will dissolve it.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:35 pm

I roll them up, box them separately into their own UGLY ABES $25 box, and keep them all. Damaged, scraped, and COPPERs that have green on 'em, I consider UGLY. I don't keep UGLY 1982s - off to the wild they go. I do keep CLEAN 1982 COPPERs in their own $25 boxes too. I'm very particular, and only the VERY CLEAN COPPERs (1959-1981) get boxed together. That way, when I need or want to unload COPPERS, I can unload the boxed UGLYs going first. That time might come soon, as I'm 71 right now. However, I enjoy searching through rolls of coins, even if I don't have to anymore.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby John Reich » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 pm

everything wrote:I put them through a vinegar wash/soak/swill, and don't mix them back in with the others. I just don't want the black or green mold spreading to the main pile. I then roll/box them up. I was tossing them back for quite awhile until they started getting dirtier, or I got pickier, and so stopped. I average about 30%, and pick about 60-70 dirties out of each $25 box. What is interesting about this, is that if a zincoln gets put into the vinegar soak, the vinegar will dissolve it.

That could be another method to separate the copper and zinc 1982's!!! :lol:
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing