Hypothetical question?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Hypothetical question?

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri May 18, 2018 6:45 am

If and when the US gov’t decides to stop the production of the 1 cent piece, would you rush and go to your bank/CU to load up on 25$ boxes? And how many would you get?

On my side, when the canadian gov’t annonced the news I got 25 of them.

It then took me four years to sell them.

Cheers.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Hypothetical question?

Postby johnbrickner » Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm

None, I've got plenty . . . Ok, maybe a few dozen.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri May 18, 2018 2:36 pm

One box. Thats all I'd get.

The U.S. mint would most likely come out with dozens of different "Direct from the Mint" products milking the final penny year too. Proof versions, Special proof versions, copper versions, silver versions, mint sealed rolls, autographed versions....you name it.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 am

I'd probably get $500 to $1,000 worth. Also, if the U.S. had some type of "farewell cent" like they did in Canada, I'd stock up on those to resell. Are the farewell cents still easy to sell in Canada and how much do they sell for (in Canadian cents)?

Now, if we only had a year or so to redeem pennies, that would force me to reconsider. Would I want to take all the time needed to sort through my new pennies and take them to dump sites before the deadline?

I wonder what Adam Youngs would do? WWAD (What would Adam do?)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Sat May 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Only if the price of zinc was high and you could scrap both the copper and zinc cents when they stop making the cent. But we know even if they stop making them they will still be legal tender so no melting them down :thumbdown:
hobo finds

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Are the farewell cents still easy to sell in Canada and how much do they sell for (in Canadian cents)?

The farewell cents are in fact farewell of specially marked rolls.

They were sold for 9.95$ and now retails over 100$ each.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Sun May 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Is there is market for bulk circulated canadian cents in Canada yet? Like if I walk in with a bucket of 5000 mixed cents to a dealer is there any premium?

My guess is if they stopped making US cents tomorrow and kept the melt ban in place US cents would never see a premium because there is so many.

Common wheat cents still only are bought at 2-3 cents a piece and these are made in much smaller amounts
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun May 20, 2018 4:06 pm

A single box is difficult to get, even with regular pickups. I think the cent will disappear overnight.
Last edited by coppernickel on Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Are the farewell cents still easy to sell in Canada and how much do they sell for (in Canadian cents)?

The farewell cents are in fact farewell of specially marked rolls.

They were sold for 9.95$ and now retails over 100$ each.

What about just regular 2012 cents found individually?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Robarons wrote:Is there is market for bulk circulated canadian cents in Canada yet? Like if I walk in with a bucket of 5000 mixed cents to a dealer is there any premium?...

There is a market for bulk cents but not through the dealers, they deal with rolls or boxes. Prices are around:

2x for bulk
3x for small queen
6x for GeorgeVI
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun May 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:What about just regular 2012 cents found individually?

Not particularly, around 2X. Rolls of coins found in circulation are also an option, at 3X-4X.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Sun May 20, 2018 9:06 pm

The bulk at 2x is interesting. The sorted US copper doesnt even bring that much. I might start hoarding Canadian pennies again

The Small head queens and king georges in US have already brought premiums so nothing new there
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing