Have you guys seen this machine?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Have you guys seen this machine?

Postby biglouddrunk » Fri May 18, 2018 6:40 pm

biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Have you guys seen this machine?

Postby coindood » Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Intriguing, but they don't explain much, unless I missed it. Does it separate wheats by decade, or is it a just another Ryedale ? If the former, how does it do that? What are all the chambers for? And seriously, they can build that thing but can't focus a cellphone? :roll:
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 am

Very interesting machine. I wonder what they sell for.

Also, it is interesting that it is called "Numan"- wasn't Newman the arch enemy of Jerry Seinfeld back in the day?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:55 am

Quality of the video wasn’t as good as I would like. Couldn’t see the coins dropping, just hearing them. Lots of coins were being returned back into the bin to run thru again, probably because they were heads down on the conveyor. At one time I talked about what an ideal coin sorter would be and this appears to be getting closer.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Tourney64 wrote:Quality of the video wasn’t as good as I would like. Couldn’t see the coins dropping, just hearing them. Lots of coins were being returned back into the bin to run thru again, probably because they were heads down on the conveyor. At one time I talked about what an ideal coin sorter would be and this appears to be getting closer.

Your "heads down" comment makes sense.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 pm

coindood wrote:Intriguing, but they don't explain much, unless I missed it. Does it separate wheats by decade, or is it a just another Ryedale ? If the former, how does it do that? What are all the chambers for? And seriously, they can build that thing but can't focus a cellphone? :roll:

I have seen this machine in person and have to say its quite amazing!!

It has the technology to sort out by decade, or date, mint mark, and even relative grade/condition! A LOT of money was spent building the technology behind it.

The chambers are for catching the different categories that they are sorting. They can do 10 categories at a time.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 20, 2018 5:57 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
coindood wrote:Intriguing, but they don't explain much, unless I missed it. Does it separate wheats by decade, or is it a just another Ryedale ? If the former, how does it do that? What are all the chambers for? And seriously, they can build that thing but can't focus a cellphone? :roll:

It has the technology to sort out by decade, or date, mint mark, and even relative grade/condition! A LOT of money was spent building the technology behind it.

The chambers are for catching the different categories that they are sorting. They can do 10 categories at a time.

So a category could be like all 1920’s, all S-mints, or all coins VF and higher? Does this work for mixed denominations- would it separate pennies from nickels? Also, would it sort out foreign coins?

Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 am

highroller4321 wrote:I have seen this machine in person and have to say its quite amazing!!

That's more info in two sentences than the entire 10-min video, thank you.

Sounds like quite a feat of engineering. Kudos to those who created it.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

So a category could be like all 1920’s, all S-mints, or all coins VF and higher? Does this work for mixed denominations- would it separate pennies from nickels? Also, would it sort out foreign coins?

It can literally do whatever they program it to do. The biggest challenge is creating the programs and having enough images to be able to train the machine. Currently it can't separate different denominations. It could if they created a program though... It can however sort out a bag of 1920's wheat cents by date or mint mark, or relative grade.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 am

The prototype takes up quite a bit of space. If they could reduce the size substantially and make it easy to ship and assemble, this could really be something. I bet the inventor of this would HATE to see us accelerate to being a cashless society. Has anyone heard about a rough number price tag for this machine?

My 10 coin categories I'd use if sorting pennies would be:

Pre 1920
1920-1929
1930-1939
1940-1942
1944-1949
1950-1958
1959-1981
1983 and later

Recyclersteve

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm

One potential issue I see occurring with this machine is for coins where the date and mint mark are NOT on the same side. I believe the machine can only see one side of the coin at a time.

Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:20 am

Recyclersteve wrote:One potential issue I see occurring with this machine is for coins where the date and mint mark are NOT on the same side. I believe the machine can only see one side of the coin at a time.

It looks at one side and then flips the coin over to look at the other side.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:32 am

highroller4321 wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:One potential issue I see occurring with this machine is for coins where the date and mint mark are NOT on the same side. I believe the machine can only see one side of the coin at a time.

It looks at one side and then flips the coin over to look at the other side.

Wow- that's impressive!

Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing