customer wrapped rolls?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

customer wrapped rolls?

Postby Merwanseth » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

I order about three or four boxes of pennies a week. I don't know of any banks or CUs around where I live that keep cwr's and re-sell them back to their customers. I'd prefer buying cwr's as they have always had much higher copper and wheat yields for me. They just take so much time and energy to locate around where I live. Any suggestions about how to effectively find and buy cwr's would be appreciated.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Re: customer wrapped rolls?

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Just ask the tellers for , every bank i go to has them, usually 30-40 bucks worth.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby markey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 pm

I have left my name and number at four banks now to call me if they get them in. Two have actually called already and the other two were just contacted last week. You just need to concentrate on the smaller, less busy branches who have more time to help you out. Also, try to go at off peak times of the day. Some tellers are very friendly and glad to help while others are not so much. The trick is finding the friendly ones! Good luck!
markey

Postby pennypicker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

I also recently left my name and number at the banks I visit and within a week one branch called me and said $115 worth of cwr's just came in. I grabbed them up and found a 1912d. Cwr's are the way to go.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby palmvtree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Any bank that has a coin counting machine will typically not have any CWR's but you could get lucky. Typically these banks require everyone to use the coin counters instead of accepting the cwr's so they do not get shorted or have to store hundreds of rolls. I would suggest finding a bank without the coin counter in the lobby for your CWR's. Canvas your area during the day (over your lunch like I do) or when it is not as busy for the banks with CWR's. When there is a line, the tellers are less likely to be freindly or to try and help you find additional rolls from others. Good luck!
palmvtree

Postby mr18 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

are all CWR's good, has any one had an experience where the CWR's were someone else's zinc's?
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Last fall I bought 300.00 worth of CWRs from Chase. The teller was pushing them.

What I bought was 600, 126 gram rolls. At least they were easy to unload. Rolled and boxed all nice and tidy
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mr18 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:34 pm

wow that sucks. i guess one day it will happen to me too. i usually get CWR's from chase bank, been lucky thus far. the rest from bofa and various small neighborhood banks.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tommybee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 am

I get higher copper in CWR, but I find older stuff in BWR. I think the BWR have a lot of coins that people dumped into a coin counter and didn't really look at. People who hand roll their cents are going to pull out wheats or anything that looks really old, or different.

I get both. Whatever the tellers want to unload that particular day.
Tommybee

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:09 am

No such thing as customer wrapped rolls in my area. All the banks require that all rolls are busted open and ran through their coin counter. They won't even accept my machine wrapped rolls. I have to break them open and they have to run them through the counter before they will accept them.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Snake42 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 am

NDFarmer wrote:No such thing as customer wrapped rolls in my area. All the banks require that all rolls are busted open and ran through their coin counter. They won't even accept my machine wrapped rolls. I have to break them open and they have to run them through the counter before they will accept them.

That sounds dumb.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 am

Snake42 wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:No such thing as customer wrapped rolls in my area. All the banks require that all rolls are busted open and ran through their coin counter. They won't even accept my machine wrapped rolls. I have to break them open and they have to run them through the counter before they will accept them.

That sounds dumb.

NDF - sounds like you've got a cracker-jack coin counter machine salesman in your area, and since your banks bought into them they are having to justify their usage.

I haven't yet found a single bank here in the Orlando area that has a local counter; not one. (My credit union has one and now charges a fee, perhaps other CUs have them here.) I'm sure there is a bank somewhere here with one, but I've been to literally dozens of branches in area - representing 5-6 different brands - and none of them even have a clue if there is a coin counter anywhere in their system.

The one exception - I stopped at a new-to-me Regions branch yesterday at lunchtime and found that the new asst branch manager was someone I knew; the former head teller at the branch closest to my work. She told me Regions has its own centralized coin processing center - they do all their own coin counting and wrapping themselves, there, rather than at the branches or by their armored service.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:47 am

I have never heard of a bank without a coin counter. What do they do when I bring in an ice cream pail full of coins and want to deposit them?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dp2007 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 am

"I have never heard of a bank without a coin counter. What do they do when I bring in an ice cream pail full of coins and want to deposit them?"

That's an easy one. The tellers here would tell you, "We only take rolled coins." End of story.
dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 am

Here, I'm not sure. I've asked if they can handle bagged coins and no one will. I think they would tell you to roll them and hand you a bunch of wrappers... or to go to a Coinstar down the street.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby mr18 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

My BofA charges a fee, dont know how much it was because i stopped the teller before she could finish her sentence. Went to the local coinstar and redeemed my zincs for a Starbucks gift card for my fiancee. it was a win win. I'm still trying to find a bank that will do this service for free. My CU has no fee coin counting but it is for my daughters college account, if it were my account it's a 5% fee, NO WAY!!!
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 am

My credit union only takes rolled coins, I open an account at another CU,, but they refused to take rolled coins. Had to go thru there counter and they charged 4%, so i closed the account.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby bsno2865 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 am

I have a question: I was fortunate to get $20 in customer rolled pennies a week ago and found 16 wheats. The best, is a 1929S in very good condiditon. Lots of 57's & 58's and a few 44 D's. The one that has me stumped is a 56' that is silver? Is it maybe a proof? I don't know. Some help please... :D
bsno2865
Penny Sorter Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

it's more than likely plated, i have a 2001 gold plated penny.
Only silver colored pennies from the mint are the 43 steel pennies.
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Stopped by a different credit union when I was at lunch and they had a counter in their lobby. 2% member charge, 8% non-member. That's the lowest member charge I've found in today's environment, here. My CU is now 5%. I'll have to look at a couple other CUs; maybe I'll find one that still has free counting. Teller had $14 in CWRs and was thrilled to unload them. I need to go back there and try another teller.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 pm

bsno2865 wrote:The one that has me stumped is a 56' that is silver? Is it maybe a proof? I don't know. Some help please... :D

First thought was someone coated the penny with mercury (we used to do that as kids). They turn really dark when the mercury tarnishes.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:54 am

I went into my local bank, and asked the teller if she had any CWRs.. she said yes, but...

she couldn't give them to me, because they had to be sent out to be counted? What?

The excuses by some of these tellers sometimes amaze me!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 am

CWR or brick, it always comes down to the individual teller.

This is going to sound awful or funny, but my fav teller at the CU is in a wheelchair. Just the greatest gal, really. Everyone in line hopes she waits on them - the CU is lucky to have her.

She doesn't mind at all going to the vault for coins. There's a tray that swings up from one side and locks in front she uses to zip around with her laptop...the darn thing can hold 70lbs. Once, she brought 2 bricks and a shoebox of cwr's out in one trip! Had to talk her out of wheeling them to my car for me.

One downside to the cwr there; they're not real sticklers on accuracy. So if a customer who is matching piles rather than counting uses a .47 cent stack as their control stack, and I buy 50 rolls...I can be down about a buck or two before I get home.

:? :D
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:44 am

I spoke too soon, got turned down at my CU for CWR coins yesterday, same CU, different branch. They did sell me a 25 dollar brick though.
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby NickelExpress » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Most of my banks take all the CWR and end up putting them in bricks to be shipped out if need be, as im sure the armored car service only accepts boxes....In other bad news..the bank closest to my house (old area of town..best place to find CWR) i got someones zinc box...WHO DUMPS IN THE RESIDENTIAL AREA OF TOWN! Grr
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing