do you segregate cwr by the wrappers

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

do you segregate cwr by the wrappers

Postby cwgii » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:47 pm

i just got 50$ from my cu. sorted them by wrapper type .

one type was odd........ no copper at all........ or all copper.

one type had 76 wheats in the 10.00

yet another was my standard 15 % CU

once upon a time i weighted the rolls....... did the light ones first so as to get the most zinc to turn back in the next day.

just ocd or do others do this too
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: do you segregate cwr by the wrappers

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 pm

You're not the only one. Sometimes when I get a batch of mixed CWRs I will detect some really old looking wrappers that often contain a high percentage of copper cents. I will pull those aside to sort separately. I have also tried the weighing of rolls approach too. When the old looking rolls weigh in closer to 155 grams than 125 grams then I know I have something good.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 am

I don't really do this much, but when I run across really old looking wrappers I often tend to spot check perhaps a couple rolls before I leave the area that the bank is located in. I don't want to be 10 miles away and feel like I need to drive back to get additional rolls.

I try to avoid picking up Uncirculated rolls and have no issues with mentioning to the teller that I don't want to buy those particular ones.

Another kind that I am skeptical about is the rolls that have an ''X" or initials or similar marking on the wrapper- which often indicates that another collector has already gone through them. Those I try to avoid completely if possible. If there is any doubt, I might ask the teller if I can open a single roll in the teller's presence.

One tip that the coins have been gone through is if the dates all face the same direction. The odds of a truly random roll having all the dates facing the same side is one in over half a million (for half dollar rolls with just 20 coins). For penny rolls the odds are much, much more remote.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm

No, crack'em and go...the "X" in my area just means the old dude pulled the wheats....copper cents are still there. Buy all you can when you can.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 am

fasteddy wrote:No, crack'em and go...the "X" in my area just means the old dude pulled the wheats....copper cents are still there. Buy all you can when you can.

It may be that way in your area, but I've gotten stuck with many "X" rolls (by accident) over the years and don't ever remember it being a fruitful harvest. Anyone else?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 am

at one chase the tellers lllllllllllllput a green x on ones they have ''verified''
cwgii

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing