Anyone saving the 2009's?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Anyone saving the 2009's?

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Does anyone out there save the 2009's when sorting through boxes of pennies? I always throw them in with the rest of the zincs to be dumped. I figure that there are enough rolls of uncirculated 2009's in collectors hands already that there will never be much of a market for the coins pulled from circulation. This weekend I decided to sort two boxes from a supply that I set aside in 2011. The first box yielded 47 of the 2009's and the second one had 51 of them. Over the past few months I have been averaging about 20 per box which shows how the 2009's are becoming less common over the past several years. I briefly thought about keeping this latest batch of 2009's but finally threw them in with the other zincs. The whole reason I was sorting these old boxes from 2011 was because I have way too many coins already.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Anyone saving the 2009's?

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 am

I only save BU 2009 pennies, but I save 2009 nickels and dimes (even if they are XF/AU). Those appear to be much rarer than the Lincolns. I know of a dealer who has generally competitive prices and sells the BU 2009-P nickel rolls for $65 each.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 am

That's a great price on BU nickel rolls. I too keep the nickels, dimes, and quarters from 2009 but not the pennies. If I kept the 2009 pennies I would probably have about $100 tied up right there.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 am

I am curious if anyone knows of a fair market (retail) price for a roll of 2009-D nickels (mostly XF to AU with some Uncs.). I see a couple listings on eBay that sold recently for around $20 or so per roll (including shipping).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:27 am

I keep all 2009's low mintage numbers so why not... worst case when I am dead they get spent or go to the bank. I tell my kids do not use Constar or pay a fee to get rid of all my change
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:47 pm

hobo finds wrote:I keep all 2009's low mintage numbers so why not... worst case when I am dead they get spent or go to the bank. I tell my kids do not use Constar or pay a fee to get rid of all my change

Imagine the following- you go to a Coinstar machine and find a couple silver coins, so you are excited. But you come home and find your silver is gone. And that is because your family took your silver to the Coinstar! Of course the machine wouldn’t accept silver, but if it was mixed in with a bunch on non-silver coins, someone using the machine might not know any different. I would be just sick!

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 pm

The recent boxes I've set aside the Unc zincs. I figure this run will be my last. I've noticed 2009 cents are rare. I've been able to make three sets of 2009 D.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote: I too keep the nickels, dimes, and quarters from 2009 but not the pennies. If I kept the 2009 pennies...

I’m not a fan of the quarters as they remained low montage til late 2012 and they cost too much to set aside. Also there are too many different types of 2009 quarters.

That said, I do think the halves might be worth something some day if the right party promotes them and due to mintages of 3 million or less most years. I’ve got a modest amount of 2002 and later NIFC halves, but it is hard to find a serious buyer for these at this time. Exception: I know someone who buys some of the dates in BU rolls.

Recyclersteve

Postby everything » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

I've noticed the 2009 pennies in circulation are dwindling some, I'm only finding 5-10 per $25 box. I've kept some, but I'd like to go over error potential one last time before sending them back home. When I was sorting halves some 6 years back I had a great collection of NIFC going, and may have a few left, but slowly gave them out at different events, places, etc.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing