HoardCopperByTheTon Estate

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

HoardCopperByTheTon Estate

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 am

Not to sound morbid or anything, but I have to admit that I am curious about the sizeable penny holdings of the late, great HoardCopperByTheTon (from Livermore, CA in the San Francisco Bay Area). For those who didn't know him, I believe he passed in late 2016.

Does anyone know if his heirs have attempted to sell his copper? If so, have the coins been sold?

Any update from anyone would be appreciated as I know someone who would likely be interested in bidding on the coins if they are available.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: HoardCopperByTheTon Estate

Postby justoneguy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:03 am

I think it was/is being auctioned off on ebay by sisuwillie.
Someone must have posted about the ebay auction for me to find it.
I bought a few rolls last year,
I paid too much, but hcbtt was a good guy.

here's the link;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41438&hilit=hcbtt
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 am

Didn't see any large lots of pennies remaining. I'm assuming that lots of it has already been sold. Is that right?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby chris6084 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:20 am

When this ebay seller was first identified here on Realcent, I contacted the seller telling them I'd be interested in some of his coin processing equipment. (I'm in the Bay Area and could pick up bulky items.) My requests were ignored.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:32 am

That’s both surprising and disappointing. Maybe the seller didn’t know anything about coins and figured they’d get more competitive bidding by listing on eBay, even though shipping could add substantially to the price.

Recyclersteve

Postby CopperSilverGold » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:31 am

Geesh....just stumbled across the thread about Ardent Listener having passed away during my hiatus from the board, and now see this. HCBTT was another solid member here, and it's sad to see that he is no longer with us. RIP sir.
CopperSilverGold

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

Weve sadly lost in full (or in part, for various reasons) quite a few stalwarts of the forum over the last few years.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 am

2019 goal- Let’s not lose any more.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:08 am

Sad to hear. of his passing. Too bad no one was able to pick up the equipment. Selling on ebay eats up a lot of fees. After a near death experience myself I'm going to pop in occasionally.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:00 am

Near death experience? Can you be more specific? Are you out of the woods yet? Or is this something like cancer where it can take years before you are out of the woods?

Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 am

Got an infection on an old blister. It got worse and I ended up in a Mexican hospital. It was getting better when a new infection got going so I flew directly home to Canada. That afternoon they took my leg off. Said life or limb. I'm getting so old they are replacing my parts!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Saabman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 am

JadeDragon wrote:Got an infection on an old blister. It got worse and I ended up in a Mexican hospital. It was getting better when a new infection got going so I flew directly home to Canada. That afternoon they took my leg off. Said life or limb. I'm getting so old they are replacing my parts!

Holy cow, Jade!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your leg!! Hopefully, everything is squared away now?
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am

WOW, I am sorry that has happened to you....I have two friends that are missing portions of the legs, one nearly from the hip down and the other below the knee. But you are alive and that is good.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:24 am

Brutal! Take care, God bless, find peace.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby galenrog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am

I can not beat that, but I will try to come in the top 50 so far this year. Extensive surgical mesh migration repair last month. Laser lithotripsy yesterday. Stent from kidney to bladder comes out in a week. And I still have to finish cutting next winters wood. In comparison, Jade, I’ve got it easy.

And my wife still thinks I am nuts to search coins for errors (she may be right, but for different reasons).

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 am

Good grief! Had no idea. Glad you survived that's no joke!!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:47 pm

This thread is more than 3 years old, but please allow me to tack on a response here. The last coin show I attended was full of old guys and gals and only a few 20-40's types. The children there appeared to be grandchildren spending some time with Grandpa and his crazy hobby. By the attendees at that show, it appears that the banksters have nearly perfectly separated the young from real money. Sad, ain't it?

Anyway, we're all getting older. Stay healthy. Stay alive (as long as the good Lord intends). And try to pass along your precious metal DNA legacy to someone.

By the way, there are still hoards of pennies being sold on ebay by sisuwillie: https://www.ebay.com/sch/sisuwillie/m.h ... ksid=p3692
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:51 pm

Lots of old timers in this hobby. We hang onto things because we always believe we'll have another tomorrow, but time catches up to us quickly. I'm in my mid-50's now and what used to feel like weeks now feels like days, the hours are like minutes. All we can do is stay healthy as possible and hope for a long life.

Whoever is selling those coins should be grateful HCBTT left them a large inheritance, even though it might be a hassle liquidating all of it. I wish I had relative that left me something like that. Most of my immediate relatives lived paycheck to paycheck and spent the majority of their earnings on vices; smoking, drinking and gambling. What a waste.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: Whoever is selling those coins should be grateful HCBTT left them a large inheritance, even though it might be a hassle liquidating all of it. I wish I had relative that left me something like that. Most of my immediate relatives lived paycheck to paycheck and spent the majority of their earnings on vices; smoking, drinking and gambling. What a waste.

I have been telling my wife this for years " I could be doing worse things than coin collecting " I could be out drinking, smoking, and gambling spending, which is then gone, or I could spend money collecting coins which most of the time go up in value, so you at least have your initial investment rather than drinking or smoking it up and having nothing to show for your money.

My wife has always hated my coin collecting hobby. She has always said she wants nothing to do with liquidating my collection after I'm gone. She said she will take what she can to the bank and dump it at face value because she does not want the hassle of getting rid of my collection. I said well if your dumb enough to dump a roll of 1909 VDB pennies that are easily worth $400.00 and probably more for .50 cents or a roll of silver Franklins that are worth $220.00 for $10.00 then I don't feel sorry for you.

So if your wife or kids do not support or care about or want to learn anything about your coin collecting hobby and you are getting older you should think about liquidating your collection and invest in .999 silver or other investments. This is what I am doing because of health reasons. So my wife will not have the "HASSLE" of getting rid of my collection. .999 silver is easy to liquidate an ounce silver is an ounce of silver. Just call the local dealer see what they are paying for an ounce of silver. There might be a little bit of a premium to consider but nothing like collector coins when you have to consider date, mint, condition and other things.

Have a plan for your collection as if you will not be here tomorrow because there are no guarantees that you will be!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:58 am

checking in, I'm still alive for those who remember me lol.

This thread is a reminder to be thankful for what one has / still has.

Peace and good health to all.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:36 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:checking in, I'm still alive for those who remember me lol.

Great to hear from you - don't be a stranger!
68Camaro

Postby knibloe » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:07 am

:thumbup:
Lemon Thrower wrote:checking in, I'm still alive for those who remember me lol.

knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:29 pm

I just got reconnected to sorting having almost transitioned by three boys to adulthood. Great to see all the familiar names on here. I am going to sort as much as I can while REALCENTS exist! DIGITAL is coming, and we will yearn for the days when we could grasp in our hands the fruit of our labor.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:40 pm

aristobolus wrote:I just got reconnected to sorting having almost transitioned by three boys to adulthood. Great to see all the familiar names on here. I am going to sort as much as I can while REALCENTS exist! DIGITAL is coming, and we will yearn for the days when we could grasp in our hands the fruit of our labor.

Bravo!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing