Anyone Look for 1983 Copper Cents- SUPER RARE

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Anyone Look for 1983 Copper Cents- SUPER RARE

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:38 am

Is there anyone who looks for the 1983 copper cents while searching pennies? They are so rare that they aren't even listed in the Red Book.

I did see one in a coin magazine a while back (likely Coinage or Coin World), and I thought I read something about the one that was shown in the magazine (I think I remember it being Unc.) being worth something like $15-20k+. Here is a link with some information:

https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/rare ... per-penny/

I always set aside any 1983's that I find regardless of condition to weigh before releasing them back to the public.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Anyone Look for 1983 Copper Cents- SUPER RARE

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:27 pm

I always set 83s aside and weigh them before turning them loose. I have been saving the 1983-Ps to look at someday, I think that there is a double die for this date.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:12 pm

OK, that is actually amazing and the first I've heard of it. Initially skeptical, but when I research it out and find PCGS https://www.pcgs.com/news/1983-copper-lincoln-cents has a write up on it, it's got to be real. Whooda thought? Time to add '83s to the list of look ats.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 pm

If memory serves, it was a member of this forum, using a Rydale, which found this first copper 83. Another time a copper 83 was discussed here as well.

I presume, that means members here have found two. I really hate to "assume."
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm

You may wish to go back through the old posts. :thumbup:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 pm

I posted something on 10/31/16 about a close call I had with a potential 1983 copper (actually it was a 1983-D). To summarize, I was relaxing about 100 miles from home with a box of 2000 pennies. They had all gone through a Ryedale machine. I only found a single coin newer than 1982 in the box (other than 5 Canadian pennies- don't remember the dates) and it was a single 1983-D found about 80% of the way through the box. I was very excited and couldn't wait to get home.

When I got home and weighed it on my gram scale, it was only 2.5 grams. Oh well- I was really excited for a while.

I'll try posting the link here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39175&p=309694&hilit=1983+copper#p309694
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 am

I thought I had a 1983 copper once, because it looked like a copper, with the crisp date and color. I didn’t know anything about the error 1983 coppers when I dumped it with a bank return, if only I had weighed it.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Over the years there have been many pennies from the "80's" that had a crisp, well defined, look to them that caused me to do a double take. If they were past 1982 I dumped them. I was not aware of the 1983 error coins. Nuts!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 pm

I still look for them. Even though they made 14.2 billion 1983's and 16.7 billion 1982's, I'd guess the 83's are roughly as easy to find as 82's. This is because lots of copper 82's have been removed from circulation, especially by those equipped with Ryedale machines.

Given that the copper 83's are not in the Red Book and that many on this site weren't aware of them, I think there are still some out there to be found.

And, yes, thank you, a gift card would be a very nice gesture from anyone who finds one of these that wasn't previously aware of the copper '83.

Actually that reminds me of a funny story (totally unrelated to coins) from back in the 1970's or early 1980's. My dad, who was a manufacturers rep, had a tough customer he was trying to crack to get a sale. My dad had never sold anything to the man. The guy was a jerk and also very frugal (not that those two always go together). So my dad invited him out to lunch. Rather than say politely that he was busy and reschedule later, the potential client said "That's ok. Why don't you send me a check instead!" My dad was floored, and the client was obviously serious. So my dad mailed him a check for something like $5 or $7. This was a long time ago when that bought a pretty nice lunch. And, yes, the guy CASHED that check, in spite of owning his own business with dozens of employees. I later ended up working with my dad (from 1983 to 1993) and he challenged me to get a sale (ANY SALE) from this potential client. Not only did I get one, but it was for over $100,000. Also, we played in the same group in a golf tournament. My dad actually went out and bought me a special trophy for doing this, as he thought it was next to impossible. And, yes, I thought the client was a jerk too.

Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing