Kinda miss sorting. Anybody still running a Ryedale much?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Kinda miss sorting. Anybody still running a Ryedale much?

Postby BenG76 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I have not sorted much the past few years. I actually cashed my little bit of copper I had hoarded in. I could not find a way to come out ahead on it any more. I use to sell some on Ebay but it does not seem worth it as much now. I did keep my wheat cents hoard although I have been considering parting with some of them as well.

I kind of miss making cool finds every now and then and running the Ryedale. I also looked for errors a bit but mainly looked for Wheats in the copper pile.

Is anybody out there still chugging along on sorting?
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Kinda miss sorting. Anybody still running a Ryedale much

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Not in awhile here, and yes I kinda miss it, but I have my copper stash and little time to add to it. I do pick up rolls sporadically as.well as change check, and every so often (every year or so) I'll run the keepers through the ryedale as a check. Maybe I'll get a bit more time to play in a year or two.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm big into repurposing things, that is, putting them to new creative uses when they stop justifying the initial use I had for them.

So, my Ryedale's new life is in a closet gathering dust. :)

I need to get some of that Dri-Slide stuff to fire up the Ryedale and I've been too busy with other stuff for the time being. I don't sort pennies nearly as much as I did, so what I do for the time being is to sort by hand.

Good topic for a thread- this is one I was thinking about myself.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby BenG76 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks for the replies. Sad to see this forum has died down a bit. I may have to run a few boxes or bags again before too long. I've made some good finds over the years. May have to do it just because soon.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:59 am

I have stopped but still have my Ryedale in the closet. Might get it out this winter. I loved finding wheats. Still have them all sorted by year. Thinking about selling them if I do start back up.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

Ran mine hard for 2 days 3 weeks ago, but had been sitting idle for quite a while.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Collecting dust. Waiting for the market to pick up I guess.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:06 pm

My Coin Artist is hiding in a closet. Waiting....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby fasteddy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm

I exercise my Ryedales occasionally nowadays...my dime Ryedale bout once a month....the pennie ones not so much now that all the banks and CU's around me will no longer sell me bags of coin...I really do not like cracking open the rolls.

I did have to changed the coin disc/wheel in my zinc accept unit last weekend, 13.8% Cu cents :-( ...I think those wheels are good for a million cents....I am on my third wheel.

Did Andy sell his company? I may need to get another wheel or two in the future.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby BenG76 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 pm

fasteddy wrote:I exercise my Ryedales occasionally nowadays...my dime Ryedale bout once a month....the pennie ones not so much now that all the banks and CU's around me will no longer sell me bags of coin...I really do not like cracking open the rolls.

I did have to changed the coin disc/wheel in my zinc accept unit last weekend, 13.8% Cu cents :-( ...I think those wheels are good for a million cents....I am on my third wheel.

Did Andy sell his company? I may need to get another wheel or two in the future.

I am curious about this as well. I tried to contact them a while back about getting a spare wheel and maybe a dime wheel. Any other place out there to get them?
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:27 pm

Gathering dust but winter is coming and I'll fire it up in the basement on a snowy string of days.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:53 am

Well, I never invested in a Ryedale but my sorting has come to a halt too. It's been years and the reason is simple. When I sorted I did it with my 2 boys. We had a blast! We looked for coppers, sure but we pulled the wheats, foreign and dates too (they were trying to fill the whitman folders). So my sorting was dual purpose - sorting and bonding. Now, my boys are 19 and 21, I am 49. They love me but they don't have any need for sorting never mind sorting with "old Dad". Sigh, I never heeded the warnings about aging. It ain't for wimps. I miss a lot of things.

Ok, well, keep stacking, guys.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:01 pm

silverflake wrote:Well, I never invested in a Ryedale but my sorting has come to a halt too. It's been years and the reason is simple. When I sorted I did it with my 2 boys. We had a blast! We looked for coppers, sure but we pulled the wheats, foreign and dates too (they were trying to fill the whitman folders). So my sorting was dual purpose - sorting and bonding. Now, my boys are 19 and 21, I am 49. They love me but they don't have any need for sorting never mind sorting with "old Dad". Sigh, I never heeded the warnings about aging. It ain't for wimps. I miss a lot of things.

+1...now waiting for grandchildren to show up....(and for me its the nickels..no more pennies up North)
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 am

silverflake wrote:Well, I never invested in a Ryedale but my sorting has come to a halt too. It's been years and the reason is simple. When I sorted I did it with my 2 boys. We had a blast! We looked for coppers, sure but we pulled the wheats, foreign and dates too (they were trying to fill the whitman folders). So my sorting was dual purpose - sorting and bonding. Now, my boys are 19 and 21, I am 49. They love me but they don't have any need for sorting never mind sorting with "old Dad". Sigh, I never heeded the warnings about aging. It ain't for wimps. I miss a lot of things.

Hahahaha! Wow. To be 49 again. I was at the top of my game. You better hold onto your hat, Silverflake. You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Almost all kids go off on their own for a while during their college years. Then they realize Mom & Dad were not so bad after all. Give them time. Most come back to be near family.
The best thing I got going for me is all the time I invested with my two kids when they were growing up. Now my daughter lives less than a mile from me and my son works with me. We see the grandkids every week, almost daily, and have a super relationship with them.

I never bought a Ryedale. I used a contraption I made myself. Not near as efficient as a Ryedale. Now I just hand-sort looking for errors and key dates. I have literally a ton + ( maybe two?) of scrap waiting for me to separate the copper from.

Ahh, but to have the healthy body & mind I had at 49? That would be nice!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:11 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay thanks for your words of wisdom! I too am lucky in that my boys are still around trying to figure out life and thus they still rely on dear old Mom and Dad A LOT!

As for aging, it was more the emotional aspect I was referring to. Physically, wife and I are avid runners. She is running Disney half marathon next Sunday, I am building back after an injury but am back up to 5 mile runs, 3-4 times weekly, hoping to run another half marathon next year (have run 12 half marathons, was gearing up for a full marathon when plantar fasciitis hit me...sigh).

As for coppers, heres some solace for me. My oldest son (21) is working at Kroger and one or two evenings a week he will text me from work asking "Hey is this date worth anything? Got it in change...." So I have built the foundation it seems.

I am not seeing many coppers in change though. Maybe I should get back into searching before percentages make it not worthwhile.

Keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:23 pm

^ Silverflake. You and the Missus run half marathons? Dude you are not "old" at all. :clap: I hope the Drs. can fix your plantar fasciitis, so you are no longer hobbled. It sounds like you raised those boys right!

Coppers are getting harder to find in the wild. Especially Wheats. Were I get the most action is CWRs from the local credit union. Percentages vary massively. Anything from 28% down to 15%. I have found I can go thru half to a full roll while sitting at a traffic light.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:27 pm

I never had enough volume to use a Rydele, but I'm still in sorting mode. Sourcing is the biggest problem, it's like coins are vanishing.

Guys, l 'm still young, still with three in college. Dad's still cool, but I'm not sure if it's me or the financial help they want.

My youngest works grocery. About a week ago she heard silver drop in the next till. That clerk was glad to get rid of the "funny colored quarter." Glad to know some lessons have rubbed off.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:50 pm

BenG76 wrote:
fasteddy wrote:I exercise my Ryedales occasionally nowadays...my dime Ryedale bout once a month....the pennie ones not so much now that all the banks and CU's around me will no longer sell me bags of coin...I really do not like cracking open the rolls.

I am curious about this as well. I tried to contact them a while back about getting a spare wheel and maybe a dime wheel. Any other place out there to get them?

Yes, the OEM of the coin hopper.

Penny wheel: https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_hoppers/10-0240-2
(The title is wrong but the part number and description are correct. Might want to contact them just to confirm.)

Dime wheel: https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_h ... 10-0240-22
natsb88

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Not really sorting much anymore. I still keep the coppers that I find in loose change. I may pick up some rolls in the near future though.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:26 pm

copper nickel wrote: My youngest works grocery. About a week ago she heard silver drop in the next till. That clerk was glad to get rid of the "funny colored quarter." Glad to know some lessons have rubbed off.

I would be SUPER PROUD of my daughter if this happened. Let the record reflect that I am still super proud of her, but for other reasons.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby BenG76 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually sorted through a box tonight. Found 10 wheats, 3 Canadians and 4 2009. Did decent on copper as well, but I didn't count to find out a percentage.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby corndoc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Still running mine. As long as I can get parts. It seems to wear out wheels and cups faster than expected, but a lot of the coins have been pretty dirty lately. Somebody must be cleaning out wishing wells judging by the amount of corrosion present. My local bank is still happy to sell me bags from their counter, so I get 1 to 3 bags a week, more or less. I've been weighing bags prior to separation and weighing copper after and am still running 25-26%. Dimes are still the most valuable thing I find, but wheaties run a dozen or so per bag. Got one bag last month that had over 350 wheats. Somebody must have spend grandpa's collection.
corndoc

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:41 pm

corndoc wrote:Somebody must have spend grandpa's collection.
This person has a name...Thogey's widow...look it up on the site...she strikes every now and then. Welcome!
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Hand sorted 5 FV in pennies and nickels the other day. Found 2 wheats and a fair amount of coppers. Nothing in the nickel rolls....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing