Another 1983 COPPER Penny Found & Certified!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Another 1983 COPPER Penny Found & Certified!

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 pm

"ANACS has certified its second 1983 Lincoln cent struck in a copper alloy. The coin, which weighs 3.08 grams, is described on the holder as being struck on a bronze blank and struck through grease. The firm graded the coin Extremely Fine 45.

The anonymous collector said he found it in a roll from a box of 50 rolls obtained from a bank in Washington, D.C., and indicated he will be putting it up for sale.

ANACS previously certified another 1983 cent as being struck on a “bronze blank” in late 2011 or early 2012, which weighed 3.04 grams and was graded by the firm as AU50. That coin can be viewed on the Internet at Coin Community Forum under the U.S. Modern Variety and Error Coins category.

The latest find is of an interesting composition with J.P. Martin, senior numismatist, saying ANACS commissioned a spectrographic analysis to determine its complete metallic composition. The results determined the coin to be 93.3556 percent copper, .009 percent silver, 6.5138 percent zinc, 0.0434 percent nickel, and 0.772 percent iron."

More continued in source article: https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/ ... alloy-cent
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: Another 1983 COPPER Penny Found & Certified!

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm

It is AMAZING that a Heritage auction was only able to fetch around $1,500 for something this rare. I would think, if advertised properly to the right audience, it could receive much, much more than that. The authors of the book Strike it Rich with Pocket Change assigned an estimated value of $15,000 to it, which is more in line with what I think it is really worth. If I had the disposable money right now and could find the current owner, I'd offer them $3,000 on the spot- an easy way for them to double their money.

Also, it is interesting that a device could determine that the copper penny had .009 silver in it. Now that is quite precise!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverBandit22 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 am

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a decent bit more out there. Unless you want to weigh every 1983, there is really no way of telling the difference. And weighing every 1983 you come across could be a painful process for very little return.
SilverBandit22

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:53 am

When I sort I always throw the 83s in a pile and weigh them when I weigh the 82s. There is also a double die for the 83P if I remember correctly and I have been hanging on to those to check when I have nothing else to do.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 am

SilverBandit22 wrote:I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a decent bit more out there. Unless you want to weigh every 1983, there is really no way of telling the difference. And weighing every 1983 you come across could be a painful process for very little return.

I do weigh each and every 1983 cent that I find, and have been doing so for perhaps 5 years or so. So far I have found.....ZERO of them.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Numis Pam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:27 am

What do you weigh them on? Brand, size, etc...?
I have saved all that I have found of them for years but have never started the weighing process!

I do weigh each and every 1983 cent that I find, and have been doing so for perhaps 5 years or so. So far I have found.....ZERO of them.[/quote]
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Pam: Sorry for the delayed response. I weigh my pennies on the following scake:

Digital Pocket Scale
Model: US- Stinger

About 2” x 3” (can easily fit in a shirt pocket)
Uses 2 AAA batteries
Capacity: 500grams x 0.1g
Weighs in g, ct, oz, dwt
Has a tare feature included
Cost approx. $12-15
Have used it a lot!

Recyclersteve

Postby Numis Pam » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:43 am

Thanks recyclersteve! :thumbup: :D
I will start checking on Ebay and Amazon for one.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:18 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:"ANACS has certified its second 1983 Lincoln ...cent struck in a copper alloy.

The results determined the coin to be 93.3556 percent copper, .009 percent silver, 6.5138 percent zinc, 0.0434 percent nickel, and 0.772 percent iron."

I was unaware that US cents have silver in them. It means that each CTU has around 3 grams of silver.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 am

That would be considered an accidental trace element. Look hard enough at the atomic level and you can probably find most of the periodic table.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 pm

68Camaro wrote:That would be considered an accidental trace element. Look hard enough at the atomic level and you can probably find most of the periodic table.

What Camero said, but also consider that copper zinc and silver are often found in the same or at least geologically similar mines in Nevada or Arizona etc, where US coin metal comes from. During the refining process its not unreasonable that, in certain batches, you'd have 0.009% silver as part of the trace impurity in the copper or zinc ingots. Also this was clearly a rare error, so you can't really extrapolate - who can imagine how 0.77% iron got in there! :?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 am

Recyclersteve wrote:It is AMAZING that a Heritage auction was only able to fetch around $1,500 for something this rare. I would think, if advertised properly to the right audience, it could receive much, much more than that. The authors of the book Strike it Rich with Pocket Change assigned an estimated value of $15,000 to it, which is more in line with what I think it is really worth. If I had the disposable money right now and could find the current owner, I'd offer them $3,000 on the spot- an easy way for them to double their money.

Also, it is interesting that a device could determine that the copper penny had .009 silver in it. Now that is quite precise!

That would suck if you bought one for 15K just before someone discovered the BU 83 copper hoard. It could happen
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing