Thinking about getting back into coin roll searching

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Thinking about getting back into coin roll searching

Postby CopperSilverGold » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Like the title says, I am thinking about getting back into coin roll searching (just pennies). I used to do it back around 2008-2010. Going off the top of my head, I think I would get 10-15 wheats per box, maybe 1-3 Canadian copper, and somewhere around 28-30% overall copper. What kinds of numbers are you guys seeing these days?

Edit: just found a spreadsheet from 4 years ago when I did a little bit (not even a full box worth). Out of 2100 pennies searched:
1959-82 Cu LMC's: 552
Wheat cents: 12
Canadian Cu cents: 2

Total copper cent percentage: 26.95%

When I moved in 2015, I ended up cashing in my modest 1959-82 copper cent hoard (around $500 face I think) due to space limitations and also to help offset some of the moving expenses. Kind of wish I had that now, although space is still a consideration.
CopperSilverGold

Re: Thinking about getting back into coin roll searching

Postby galenrog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Copper, wheats, errors. Gotta check ‘em all.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby CopperSilverGold » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

galenrog wrote:Copper, wheats, errors. Gotta check ‘em all.

Time for more coffee.

I used to check for the varieties - double dies and Wide America are the ones I remember looking for. Now I would be just interested in the copper cents. Numismatics don't do much for me.
CopperSilverGold

Postby Mauserman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:07 am

Yeah, I think I’m going to try to look through some more pennies myself. I like to pull the wheats and Canadian, never found any wild Indians-don’t think I ever found a steel cent either. It’s enjoyable.

I keep the copper which I store in jars and bags, it’s probably not that much but I might have to weigh it now :lol:
Mauserman

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:24 am

I don't know what it is about those wheat cents, except perhaps it reminds me of how excited I was to find one when I was a kid. I wonder if there are any coin dealers in Kansas (since wheat is a big crop there) who do anything special as a tribute to the wheat cents?!?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am

You may wish to check the tracking threads:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43027
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing