Second generation collector

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Second generation collector

Postby Morgantm » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 pm

I've known for a while that my dad had start collecting pennies a long time ago. Never really thought anything about it until I was cleaning out the garage tonight and found them all. Looks to be about 30 - $10 boxes. I grabbed a box, opened a roll and it was all wheat pennies. Now I haven't gotten farther than that yet but figured I could go ahead and post up. What do you guys recommend I do with the wheat pennies? Is there a good site to check prices on certain years that I can keep an eye out for or what?

Complete newbie so any help would be great! I haven't decided if I want to start another hobby (I have many, most are expensive haha). But after reading a lot of threads on here I'm kind of getting excited.

Thanks!
Morgantm

Re: Second generation collector

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 am

Here's a few tips that will start you off on the right foot. However, this is not all of it. As you go on, there will be more for you to learn. Since you have no idea what is in there, you're going to have to look at each and every one of those coins... that's only about 30,000 coins, which sounds big, but you'll be able to do it within a month or two.

- When searching, you are looking for KEY DATES: 09-S, 09-S VDB, 10-S, 11-D, 11-S, 12-D, 12-S, 13-S, 14-D, 14-S, 15-S, 22, 22-D, 24-D, & 31-S (the super keys are in bold)
- Any coin that looks to have seen very little to no circulation should be kept off to the side
- You might want to sort all of the coins by year or decade
- Do not sell anything without running it past people who know about it, first. In fact, you might even want to consider selling to members here at the forum.

In bulk, the common date and worn wheat cents should sell for about 4 to 5 cents each, or about $6 per pound. To get an idea of what some of the collectible coins are potentially worth, take a look at this website: http://numismedia.com/fmv/prices/lnccnt/pricesgd.shtml These prices rely on an assessment of condition. Learn how to post pictures here and ask us lots of questions. A scanner works well to capture coin images. Everyone here is very helpful. There is so much knowledge at this forum, and you're sure to get the best information.

But the biggest thing is to enjoy what your father left you. I have had the pleasure of going through my father's old collection with him, and I could tell that it brought back many fond memories. They weren't all about the coins either. There's a history within those rolls of yours.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am

Welcome.

Market Harmony gave wonderful advice. I'd like to expand it by saying be sure you don't touch the obverse (front) or reverse (back) of any of the coins. Handle them just on their edges.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby misteroman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:12 am

Wow that is a cool thing to find. Welcome aboard and another thing to grab is a redbook and your local coin or hobby shop or a larger flea market should have it.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morgantm » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 am

Great advice, thanks everyone.

I found the old site and have been reading a ton off of it and learning a lot.

First roll was a lucky pull I guess, the rest have been 95% pre-1982 though so its not a let down. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
Morgantm

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing