Packaging comments for anyone filling a large PO box

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Packaging comments for anyone filling a large PO box

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am

The past week I've rec'd two boxes from two different respected realcent'ers. Both used their own methods to package, and both ultimately arrived safely, because each had used their own methods to pack the coins in layers of internal protection. So thought I would comment, for others that are shipping (as well as those that are buying).

These boxes are heavy. Maybe it's just my PO location, but the boxes will arrive crushed and and broken, with seams ripped out, even when stranded HD tape is used to reinforce the boxes. It is imperative that you re-package these coins (as was done by those I traded with) internally in additional boxes and/or bags. The Priority boxes just aren't capable of withstanding this level of weight, while being tossed around by handlers and handling equipment, without failing, so a second layer of protection is required.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Packaging comments for anyone filling a large PO box

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:31 am

This what I was thinking. Not sure if you can get 100 face in the box this way or not.

Get 6 of the "video mailer" Small Flat Rate Box (8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"), stuff each of then with pennies,
6 of these will in turn stack snuggly in a Medium Flat Rate Box (11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2").

The post office is out 7 boxes :P , but even if the big box breaks, the pennies are not getting out and the all the small card board boxes are reinforcing the big box.

Since all the priority boxes are free, the shipper does not have to spend a bunch on packing.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:37 am

Also, back to the OP's topic, I also ordered some pennies and most boxes arrive broken with missing pennies.
I imagine the Post office people don't want to pick them up and just kick them around.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

The two I rec'd this week used two different approaches. Both worked, but the one I as recipient liked best was where the pennies were within two heavy-duty canvas coin bags with sealed ties. The bags won't break, and they are too large to exit a broken box, so even if a box breaks the PO will just tape it closed and continue it in transit.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby justoneguy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am

68Camaro wrote:the one I as recipient liked best was where the pennies were within two heavy-duty canvas coin bags with sealed ties. The bags won't break, and they are too large to exit a broken box, so even if a box breaks the PO will just tape it closed and continue it in transit.

I also reeived a $100 pennies in these canvas bags.
the flat rate box was broken & smashed but the bags were very secure inside it.
a great/smart way to ship 'em
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm

When shipping pennies, you have to assume abuse by the PO. I have been known to ship or receive a few pennies now and then. I often receive boxes where the seam of the box is broken and sometimes there is leakage. You should always make sure to tape all the seams.. that is where the box will fail. But more importantly, the interior packaging is critical to making sure your all the coins you ship arrive at their destination. Standard shipment method for me now is 2 of the CoinLok or other brand plastic coin shipment bags. These bags are specifically designed for this. When shipping rolled coins, put them in penny boxes and make sure to completely tape each penny box.. they will fail when the PO bounces them. Ideally, you would also place each box of pennies in a tyvek bag and seal it before packing in the flat rate box. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby PennyPauper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:53 pm

PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:06 pm

I like my idea better, no cutting or taping involved
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Why would you use a large box and pay extra postage when you are only allowed 70 pounds max? $100 face goes in medium flat rate box just fine. Doing it in a large box you are probably going to excede the maximum weight limit of 70 pounds because of the weight of the extra packing material. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree, that's why putting 6 small flat rate boxes into one medium flat rate box is a good idea.

I'm not sure if it will weigh over 70 lbs. BTW, they will be secure.. :mrgreen:
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:57 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:I like my idea better, no cutting or taping involved

FYI not true. I have ordered pennies from many different shippers. I have seen good bad and ugly. I have also shipped pennies. Your method I have seen used before but not fail proof. The small flat rate boxes should be taped as well as the med flat rate box. The small flat rate boxes will open and let some pennies out. I havent gotten them with the pennies out of the med flat rate box. I would tape smalls and medium if using that method to be secure.
TXBullion

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Thank for the input, are you able to get $100 face in it with my method( that i have never used.. :lol: )

I never seen it done before, just noticed that 6 of the small boxes fit nicely in the medium flat rate box.

TXBullion wrote:

FYI not true. I have ordered pennies from many different shippers. I have seen good bad and ugly. I have also shipped pennies. Your method I have seen used before but not fail proof. The small flat rate boxes should be taped as well as the med flat rate box. The small flat rate boxes will open and let some pennies out. I havent gotten them with the pennies out of the med flat rate box. I would tape smalls and medium if using that method to be secure.
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 am

I dont remember now since it was a while on that style pack but I believe so because that was the deal amount. I believe everything fit in there nice and snug with no extra space, you will have to try it. Although, I dont know what the reprocussions are if you use priority products as packing material versus shipping (if the box opened for example.)
TXBullion

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

I've gotten a few packages in the last few moths that I thought were extremely subpar when it came to packaging and one of them even had 2 corners split wide open about 4". these were not couple hundred dollar deals either and one was 5 figures. I cant stress it enough to spend the extra $.50 and put a little extra tape on the box! when I send something out, there is no cardboard left exposed on the box. If its a large or heavy amount it will be 2 or 3 layers thick sometimes!
misteroman

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm

misteroman wrote:...when I send something out, there is no cardboard left exposed on the box. If its a large or heavy amount it will be 2 or 3 layers thick sometimes!

Have you ever had a problem with all that tape since it would make it hard to identify the box as a flat rate?
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:
misteroman wrote:...when I send something out, there is no cardboard left exposed on the box. If its a large or heavy amount it will be 2 or 3 layers thick sometimes!

Have you ever had a problem with all that tape since it would make it hard to identify the box as a flat rate?

The USPS clerks should be able to recognize the size and shape of the box. Better yet, just print the label online.
natsb88

Postby natsb88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm

You cannot ship them safely without taping ALL the seams and corners on the box. Period. No way around it. The burst strength of the cardboard on its own is insufficient for a 70 pound box dropped even a few inches, particularly at corners/edges.
natsb88

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:47 pm

The clear tape made by 3M works really well. You can see through it to verify it is a flat rate box. I generally crosshatch the taping patern (Verically and horizontally) to add extra strength to it. You also always assume they will somehow manage to bust the occasional box, so you package the contents inside with the assumption they will damage the outer box. Tape the interior packages fully as well.

I am surprised at the number of boxes with sub-par packaging. The whole idea of posting a packaging guide on the forum a few years ago was to help folks make sure all the coins got to their final desination. Nothing can beat a determined postal employee armed with a knife and a forklift.. but at least make them work for it. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I've completely had it out with my post office a time or two. I used to completely tape up all corners and most of the box with re-enforced gummed tape. Well one day the Post master walked out and told me they will not take my packages with tape on them?? Ohh boy, I was in a hurry that day, Broke the glass out on the coffee table while taping up the boxes and I carried these 50 yards across the parking lot to get them inside. 210 lbs by hand/back. Ahh I was fuming, she said I was attempting to abuse the postal service and if the box needed tape on it they would not ship it. Man oh man, if my daughter was not with me that day I would have let out a whole string of foul language. She went further to say the boxes are not meant to be taped because if there is too much weight in there it won't hold up??????? WTF, man at the time I wasen't 100% sure about the postal rules concerning tape and I even mentioned the Medium flate rate boxes that have no seam glue on them..... Welll those can have tape on them, sir but the other's can't??? So you advertise to ship up to 70 lbs in the box but you won't ship it because in order to do so requires it to be taped....?????? Looked up the actual rules online at one point and the post office actually recommends you taping it up with tape, it does mention that the primary means of closure on Flat rate ""envelopes" must be the adhesive strip, but nothing about taping it up. I took back the printed material for proof and still have yet to get anywhere with her. Appeartly she has the discreation to accept whatever she feels is appropriate for shipping. Grrrr
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 pm

They hate heavy packages, she is just making excuses.

BTW, I think the post office is stupid for allowing 70 lbs in that box, I think it's just advertising. They don't expect people to put 70 lbs in it.

The limit should be 30 lbs, but might as well take advantage of the 70lb limit while they have it.. :D

ScottyTX wrote:I've completely had it out with my post office a time or two. I used to completely tape up all corners and most of the box with re-enforced gummed tape. Well one day the Post master walked out and told me they will not take my packages with tape on them?? Ohh boy, I was in a hurry that day, Broke the glass out on the coffee table while taping up the boxes and I carried these 50 yards across the parking lot to get them inside. 210 lbs by hand/back. Ahh I was fuming, she said I was attempting to abuse the postal service and if the box needed tape on it they would not ship it. Man oh man, if my daughter was not with me that day I would have let out a whole string of foul language. She went further to say the boxes are not meant to be taped because if there is too much weight in there it won't hold up??????? WTF, man at the time I wasen't 100% sure about the postal rules concerning tape and I even mentioned the Medium flate rate boxes that have no seam glue on them..... Welll those can have tape on them, sir but the other's can't??? So you advertise to ship up to 70 lbs in the box but you won't ship it because in order to do so requires it to be taped....?????? Looked up the actual rules online at one point and the post office actually recommends you taping it up with tape, it does mention that the primary means of closure on Flat rate ""envelopes" must be the adhesive strip, but nothing about taping it up. I took back the printed material for proof and still have yet to get anywhere with her. Appeartly she has the discreation to accept whatever she feels is appropriate for shipping. Grrrr
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby NashuaSolstice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:

I put one full wrap of tape around the box then stand the box the other way up and put another full wrap of tape around the exposed sides and then some reinforcement on the corners where any cardboard might have been left slightly exposed. I get Duck tape from Dollar General for $1.50 a roll for 40 yards i think. for internal support empty Brinks boxes with no tape work just fine.
since you have to tape the whole thing around, the USPS people usually dont get pissed because they realize the tape is best for transport of a heavy item. this means they have to MANUALLY punch in the tracking number info as it passes. the only time they get pissed is when you put tape over the bar code when there is barely any tape needed at all on the rest of the package and they still have to manually punch it in.
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing