Copper to be a Big Winner- Kitco Interview

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper to be a Big Winner- Kitco Interview

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 am

https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-01-27/- ... cevic.html

Can someone explain in plain English what the "50% of final energy" reference below means?

There is a video interview, which I couldn't get to work on my computer. Also, here is the text with the article...

If you love gold, look at copper, said CopperBank executive chairman Gianni Kovacevic, pointing to a surge in demand.

“There is a new invisible hand for commodities. And within this hinge of history, we are going go to about 50% of final energy as electrification from the current 19% and it will all happen in 30 years and it will be enabled with metals. Copper is the big winner,” Kovacevic told Kitco News on the sidelines of the Vancouver Resource Investment Conference.

Kovacevic keeps his focus on copper but says that investors don’t have to choose between copper and gold.

“When you look at the big copper-gold mines, they give us a lot of gold output,” he said. “I always tell my friends that love gold to focus on the copper. You get all the gold as a byproduct and you're going to get all that benefit. You don't necessarily have to look at primary gold deposits, which are harder and harder to find.”

Another interesting investment Kovacevic is looking at is helium — yes, party balloons, but not quite…

“People associate helium with balloons at parties. It is not the case. It's a high-tech commodity. You'll find it in MRIs, the high-tech industry, cooling for servers, and nuclear power plants,” he said.

And there is a big shortage of it around, with one of the biggest reserves located conveniently in the U.S.

“[Supply] is falling off a cliff. We haven't found a lot of new helium reserves and so it trades right now at $279 per MCF when natural gas is at $4-$5, which is a huge differentiator,” Kovacevic noted. “One of the most prolific areas is on the New Mexico-Arizona border. That's where a lot of the high grade, high-quality helium reserves have come from.”

By Anna Golubova
For Kitco News
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Copper to be a Big Winner- Kitco Interview

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:54 am

Just guessing but I think he means that the form of energy used by the consumer will be 50% electric in the future (presuming electric vehicles becoming dominant) versus consumers burning fossil fuels directly (gasoline, diesel, natural gas), which supposes higher need for copper for electric motors and transmission lines.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:26 am

68Camaro wrote:Just guessing but I think he means that the form of energy used by the consumer will be 50% electric in the future (presuming electric vehicles becoming dominant) versus consumers burning fossil fuels directly (gasoline, diesel, natural gas), which supposes higher need for copper for electric motors and transmission lines.

That is how I interrupt it as well.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks guys. And he's talking about a 30-year timeline. Not to sound morbid, but many on this site will be dead or very senile by then.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:59 pm

I guess we will realize copper is a big winner when you see someone on this site say "Copper at this company is selling for only 89 cents over spot!" When the price of copper is quoted as a spot price by the masses, bags of 5,000 pennies will really be worth something. The other thing that could happen would be to have copper's price quoted by the ounce instead of by the pound.

And then I woke up! :)

P.S. And Adam Youngs is drooling just thinking about this concept!

Recyclersteve

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: P.S. And Adam Youngs is drooling just thinking about this concept!

you started it!!

The first known use of drool was from a Time Traveler in 1802 called Adam.
usage:
Intransitive verb
1a : to secrete saliva in anticipation of copper prices rising
Adam sees the incline and begins to drool.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Thanks guys. And he's talking about a 30-year timeline. Not to sound morbid, but many on this site will be dead or very senile by then.

Well said, bottom line.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing