The Wow Factor

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The Wow Factor

Postby amalekidad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Howdy Realcents-ers,

Over the last 5 years I have sorted cents with my grandkids when then come to visit in Texas. Using my Ryedale, we’ve had a blast unrolling coins and feeding the sorter. One of my grandsons is currently 9 and has autism. It’s been loads of fun sorting coins with him. I am currently away from home visiting said grandson and his family. My grandson asked if we could sort pennies. I explained that I didn’t have my Ryedale with me. He suggested (insisted) that we get a box and do a hand sort. His twin sister volunteered to help us, so I was willing. We were able to pick up and box and it was very exciting. All the way home from the bank, he was talking about the ‘wow’ factor and who was going to get the highest ‘wow’ factor out of the box.

True story, we get set up and he rips open the first roll. There on the table lies an 1897 Indian Head cent!!
1897_opt.jpg
1897_opt.jpg (69.49 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

Wow_opt.jpg
Wow_opt.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

Reverse_opt.jpg
Reverse_opt.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

The rest of the box was skimpy. He won the ‘wow’ factor and he gave himself a score of 10 out of 10. I have sorted out over a ton (yes 2000lbs) of copper and only found 1 IH. Very nice to share this memory with my grandson on the first roll of his first-hand sorted box.

Keep sorting!!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: The Wow Factor

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Such a So-wheat find...Those dern Indians are still out there, I came across one a few months back....my avr in Houston is 1 - 250,000 sorted cents.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Great story thanks for sharing. That memory is forever.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Saabman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Too cool! Great story!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 pm

2 x 2 that thing for him with date found and that it was with you

priceless memory for sure
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 am

Awesome story.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby coppernickel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

:thumbup: "Wow" is definitely cool. :clap:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby knibloe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Very cool story. Congrats!!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 am

One thing you might consider doing is putting the Indian cent into a small sandwich baggie along with a little note mentioning the details of the find. This is something that would be nice to remember decades from now.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing