1982-D small date copper cent

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1982-D small date copper cent

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:55 am

I just started searching though my 4000lbs hoard of copper pennies for one of these. Could take me a year to do this.

One sold at auction for $18,800.

How rare are these? What do you think my chances are in finding one? You think it's worth the effort, neck and eye strain?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: 1982-D small date copper cent

Postby outofsort » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Those are very rare, and thus valuable. Maybe only two known I think??? I do check all the 82-D SD coins that come my way. I'm not sure I would search my copper stack, however, unless I had separated all the 82's like some do. Good luck.
outofsort
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:17 pm

This is one of those somewhat awkward topics. If I was looking through a bunch of coins for an undiscovered rarity, in a way I'd rather find just one than I would find say 50-100. Think about it this way- if a single person found that many of an as yet undiscovered rarity, people would think:

1) Once a lot of people start looking for them they will be coming out of the woodwork. So they can't be very valuable.
2) He must be a very talented counterfeiter.

Neither of those would bode well for me.

But if I found a single one, it could be worth several thousand dollars. Still, taking a lot of time for a very low probability event is not worth it to many people. Odds are very, very high that it would not be time well spent.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:44 pm

are those SD bronze '82's still rare to find?

For $18,800 I can spend a few hours looking through my shinee '82's....at least I don't have to search the zinc '82's.

Here in Houston we get mostly D minted cents...odds are probably bad to worse but you never know, I found a 1922 no D years ago.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 am

Update:

So far I've gone through about 500 pounds in my spare time... zilch.

As I age I've noticed the neck and eye strain is even worse. Sucks.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Barrytrot posted a pretty extensive list of Lincolns to look for while sorting...it's pinned near the top of this board.

Back when I was sorting I had keyed in on a half dozen or so that I figured I had the best chance to find while not slowing the sorting to a crawl. Found both '55 & '72 doubled-dies (same month!), which barry generously offered to slab for me. Sold them both for a nice sum shortly thereafter.

But looking at that list it does make it hard to be a Sorter and a coin Collector at the same time. Those of you with copper stashes can focus on the varieties without all that zinc getting in the way. 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I know that I have a 1982 D in an old book, but doubt it's the rare one. Now you guys have me curious though :)
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Update:

So far I've gone through about 500 pounds in my spare time... zilch.

As I age I've noticed the neck and eye strain is even worse. Sucks.

I assume you mean 500# of pennies, rather than 500# of 1982's, which would be A LOT!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing