What is the price of old coppers?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What is the price of old coppers?

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:48 pm

What is the going price for copper coins?

A friend knows I know has asked me to buy some coins he inherited from his wife when she died. The silver fits "junk" status. The copper cents I know. Those I can do, but if you could help with:

Indian head cents 1859-1909, they are average circulated.

Large cents from 1797-1807 these are slick, but have identifiable dates.

Large cents 1808-1856 these are worn.

I'm looking in the blue book, but apmex, sell these in bulk.

I want to be fair but I'm not interested in buying them.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What is the price of old coppers?

Postby Country » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Try this for average fair market value.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

This for the grading of your coin

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Cents
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: What is the price of old coppers?

Postby knibloe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:50 pm

I was in a similar situation several years back. It can be tough to balance the "fair" to your friend and you. I priced the silver and gold, because I knew what they were worth. Then I took the rest to two different shops and asked them to give me a quote. We all know that they probably low ball the prices, but they do that because they need to make a living. Also, some of what my friend wanted me to buy was not really worth investing in. You are investing time into it, and I would guess on your other purchases, you invest for a profit. If the other person wants to get top $, they should have to invest time into research and piecing out the lot. If they do not want to do that, you should not pay the premium and do all the work. I hope in the end your friend would want you to be fair to yourself as well as himself. Hope this makes sense. I paid more than what was offered on the PM and what was offered from the shops on the other.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing