The Rise of Coinless Branches

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The Rise of Coinless Branches

Postby Robarons » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Trying to make it a a goal now to post a little more so heres a new happening in my area.

Chase will email me heads up alerts when branches close. For example they kinda came in and sweeped all the in-store Chase branches. Closed most of them. Which is bummer because they carried better hours.

The next shoe to drop is I got an email that one of their branches is going into 'hi-tech' mode. This means there will be no more tellers at this branch. Only multiple ATM's. No coin services at all- cant get any or take any back. Also the traditional items like getting a money order or checks are gone. It did not indicate they would remove any bankers or managers so I assuming they will keep them there to open accounts, do loans, etc. They also will keep the safety deposit boxes.

Lucky me- the wave of the future is here. Kinda sucks and it looks like they may spread this idea. This is new for my area so has anyone noticed this in their neck of woods? Also this will put a dent in our hobby
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: The Rise of Coinless Branches

Postby cwgii » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:11 am

Tucson has a couple that have no tellers or any ,,banking,, we have closed a lot of the grocery store branches.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 pm

:clap: The credit union in the area has moved to a few 'hi-tech' branches. A friend works for said credit union and hates to float to that branch. She said they don't do much business because people are willing to drive the five miles to a real branch with people and full services. :thumbup:
Last edited by coppernickel on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 am

I avoid my local branches that have gone away from personal contact.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 pm

At some point in the future there won't be ANY humans at brick and mortar branches, only robots/automated tellers. Credit unions will last longer, but eventually they'll all go the same route.

Also, pennies and nickels will stop being produced and removed from circulation. Too costly to produce. I'm surprised the US mint still makes them.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Bank of America is doing all they can to make branch banking a pain to encourage people to bank online. They have 1 or 2 tellers during lunch breaks and on Fridays when they are typically super busy. It is very common for me to be in a bank with a line out the door with 1 or 2 tellers. Some of these times, there are other employees seeming to be aimlessly wandering around with nothing to do. On a recent visit to a branch, I outright asked a teller "Is Bank of America trying to p*ss off customers with a lack of customer service to make people to everything online?" Her response - "yup!"
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 05, 2019 4:45 am

chris6084 wrote:Bank of America is doing all they can to make branch banking a pain to encourage people to bank online. They have 1 or 2 tellers during lunch breaks and on Fridays when they are typically super busy. It is very common for me to be in a bank with a line out the door with 1 or 2 tellers. Some of these times, there are other employees seeming to be aimlessly wandering around with nothing to do. On a recent visit to a branch, I outright asked a teller "Is Bank of America trying to p*ss off customers with a lack of customer service to make people to everything online?" Her response - "yup!"

Totally agree with you on BofA.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am

Totally missed this thread originally (but until the latest posts it all happened on a week I was away on a cruise, which explains that).

Doesn't mean they haven't been doing this because I haven't darkened the doors of too many bank branches lately, but of those that I been in I have I haven't yet seen a "high-tech" branch, yet. But BofA is definitely closing branches - the closest major road used to (5 years ago) have three active branches within 2 miles each way, and they were always busy. They closed one about 4 years ago and the second one early this year. Now there is just the one and I haven't been in it in over a year so don't know what's inside, but I would imagine they have coin because they service businesses. Same with the BofA branch that is just north of my work - VERY heavy coin use, they didn't blink an eye when I would ask for coin because they stocked at lot, whereas the residential branches hardly carry any. One recommendation I can suggest is to try to find out which branches do heavy retail business service.

Other institutions besides BofA are definitely reducing tellers.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Just saw a sign for a laundromat that doesn't use coins anymore. That is not a good sign for us collectors.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Sat May 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Bank of America closed my branch, that is after closing the one that was even closer to the border a few years ago. The branch still standing is in a larger town and has lenders and other services they explained.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby everything » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm

How about branchless. My CU recently sent us all a 5 dollar check for MOBILE DEPOSIT ONLY. They had a nice note about how much easier it is to cash your checks and do all your banking this way. Which means you have to download their phone app. in order to cash the check.

Some branches went hi-tech, as in they have a teller machine that links you to a live teller.

The new coin machines direct deposit into your checking/savings, no can use without an account at the branch.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Klark Cent » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Ugh. This is the first I've heard of this.

Thanks for posting it.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 pm

NW Indiana Chase closed most of their banks. They had SEVERAL go dark! Most I bought coins from in the past...in the $$$$ copper days of old!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Robarons » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm

I hear you on that topic. Have family in South Bend- they only have one branch and thats nearest ATM too. Never thought I would have to do a 25 min drive across town to hit one of my own ATM's
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 pm

In Everett WA I saw a Bank of America storefront with ATMs and video link to a branch during business hours. It was a small storefront on Hwy 99. Busy commercial area, busy highway, nearest full service branch maybe 10 min drive, not sure.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing