Million penny pyramid

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Million penny pyramid

Postby everything » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Working on world record, supposedly done. The patterns are just the difference between a more worn penny, and right from the mint.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5179827
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Million penny pyramid

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

:shock:

love the wall of boxes around him too
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 am

Wow. 1,030,315 cents. Lets hope his credit union will take them back for face value, Constar would be a big hit if he has to go that way.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:21 am

7035 lb if all copper
5673 lb if all zinc
5946 lb 20 pct copper
with no wear
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm

6,360# is the actual weight per the video.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:22 pm

I can't quite beat him with Canadian cents nor am I willing to spend years stacking the pennies to do it. Nice collection though. Someone should sell him a Ryedale.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby everything » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 am

The video and story is good, 20 hours a week for 3 years. Good point about the ryedale, wonder if he filtered out the wheats, maybe found anything good, etc. Maybe someone could comment on his youtube video and see if he's been to realcent yet. I'm thinking he's so tired of the penny by now..
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:07 am

I guess I should have watched the video! He must have a pretty good percentage of copper with that weight.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:57 pm

WOW! That was an awesome story/video. Thanks for sharing!
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:28 pm

JadeDragon wrote: Someone should sell him a Ryedale.

My thoughts exactly!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:33 pm

everything wrote: wonder if he filtered out the wheats

There was a mention that all the coins had to be the same, so he said he had to filter out Canadian and foreign coins to qualify for the world record.

That said, if he had a few Canadian pennies hiding in the middle of the pyramid, who would even notice? I feel a bit sorry for the person from Guinness who has to authenticate this. I'm sure they aren't counting all the coins, but it must be a pain to even count how many rows and columns there are.

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:11 am

Cool.

He was smart enough to build that pyramid on a concrete floor/slab.

Looks like the dark regions are copper pennies and the shiny regions are newer zinc pennies.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 pm

He said somewhere, when he got boxes that were all just brand new pennies, he saved those for the design work.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
everything wrote: wonder if he filtered out the wheats

There was a mention that all the coins had to be the same, so he said he had to filter out Canadian and foreign coins to qualify for the world record.

That said, if he had a few Canadian pennies hiding in the middle of the pyramid, who would even notice? I feel a bit sorry for the person from Guinness who has to authenticate this. I'm sure they aren't counting all the coins, but it must be a pain to even count how many rows and columns there are.

The photographic evidence combined with the geometry would make it easy to verify count with a spreadsheet calculation.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing