CWR Wheat Rolls--Bittersweet

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

CWR Wheat Rolls--Bittersweet

Postby John Reich » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:56 pm

For the past several years I've stopped by my local bank branch and picked up five dollars worth of customer wrapped rolls of pennies once a week. Over the years I've learned to watch for CWR's in the older-style wrappers. In last weeks batch of cents there was one solid roll of 1950's wheats in an older-style wrapper. I stopped in again yesterday and told my "go-to" teller about it. She had 2 more rolls with the same type wrapper I found the wheats in last week so we peeked in the end of the rolls and sure enough, wheatback gold!!! One roll was all 1940's and the other was mixed 40's/50's. She's keeping an eye out for me in case any more rolls come in. I'm hoping the older wheats turn up! At this bank, you have to write your name or account number on the CWR's and a lot of people just put a pre-printed address labels on their rolls. When they pass them out, the teller either peels the label off or crosses it out with black marker. These rolls had an address label on them. I snooped a little and caught the name/address on the wheat rolls. They were owned by an 83 year old man from a town about 15 miles away from my bank. I'm not sure why the coins were turned in--maybe he passed away or went to a nursing home. Anyhow, while I was very happy to get the rolls I was saddened to think about this man who had owned them since the mid-1960's and held on to them his entire life, only to have them taken to the bank when he was either gone or unable to care for himself any longer. None of us truly own our "treasures"--we're only caretakers for the next generation. I promise that I will enjoy these coins until my family takes them to the bank when I'm gone. The wheel turns...
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Re: CWR Wheat Rolls--Bittersweet

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 pm

This is a reminder to me (and hopefully others) to think carefully about our succession plans. There are likely some dealers, on the other hand, that might think about the next 10-20 years as the “golden age”- where they can buy silver dollars for $5-6 each and melt them at a refiner for a quick buck.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: CWR Wheat Rolls--Bittersweet

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:04 am

It could be a good opportunity to make a new acquaintance.I'm sure he would love the opportunity to talk to someone about his collection
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing