So What Happens When They Discontinue Pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: So What Happens When They Discontinue Pennies?

Postby willy13 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 am

I need to start hoarding nickels. Nickels are making more and more cents these days. :wave:
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:48 pm

After reading recent comments from others, I can feel the hoarding craze starting to intensify!!!! Are we fearing the apocalypse of coins?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:14 am

The 'discontinuance of all physical money' is in full swing! Daily I see physical signs of 'the mint is limiting coins due to the physical cash shortage' and today I saw where Aldi's will not accept cash unless you have the exact change. TPTB are obsessed with getting physical cash/coins eliminated! They can then track every single dollar we have and also impose negative interest rates!

Also, 'Zincoln's' are up to 96% of melt value! Save ALL nickels and pennies! I am also utilizing cash and trying to keep transactions cost to a minimum! jmho
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:16 pm

Catfish4u wrote:The 'discontinuance of all physical money' is in full swing! Daily I see physical signs of 'the mint is limiting coins due to the physical cash shortage' and today I saw where Aldi's will not accept cash unless you have the exact change. TPTB are obsessed with getting physical cash/coins eliminated! They can then track every single dollar we have and also impose negative interest rates!

Also, 'Zincoln's' are up to 96% of melt value! Save ALL nickels and pennies! I am also utilizing cash and trying to keep transactions cost to a minimum! jmho

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:25 pm

willy13 wrote:I need to start hoarding nickels. Nickels are making more and more cents these days. :wave:

Starting thinking this way sometime in 2020. My bank is charging me $7 per box. Now have many 5gal buckets full. For every $300 searched I usually find a war nickel and a couple buffalos.

Cu pennies have been disappearing from circulation. Most penny boxes I'm getting these days have 0-5% copper in them, maybe 10% if I get lucky. 2 years ago I starting keeping the zincs too... they're almost at face value now.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
willy13 wrote:I need to start hoarding nickels. Nickels are making more and more cents these days. :wave:

Starting thinking this way sometime in 2020. My bank is charging me $7 per box. Now have many 5gal buckets full. For every $300 searched I usually find a war nickel and a couple buffalos.

Cu pennies have been disappearing from circulation. Most penny boxes I'm getting these days have 0-5% copper in them, maybe 10% if I get lucky. 2 years ago I starting keeping the zincs too... they're almost at face value now.

Do you know if the coinstar machines and the like will accept war nickels? In other words, If I buy a bag, is there a chance that a war nickel will be in their?
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:02 pm

willy13 wrote:
Do you know if the coinstar machines and the like will accept war nickels? In other words, If I buy a bag, is there a chance that a war nickel will be in their?

I didn't know you could buy coin bags from Coinstar... really?

Don't really know, but I've found many silver coins in the coinstar reject bin. My guess is the machine would reject war nickels, although I've never found one in the reject bin.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:02 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
willy13 wrote:

Don't really know, but I've found many silver coins in the coinstar reject bin. My guess is the machine would reject war nickels, although I've never found one in the reject bin.

A local bank has a coin counter that might sell bags, I have not asked.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
willy13 wrote:

Both the current Jefferson nickel and the war nickel weigh 5 grams according to coinflation.com. If the Coinstar goes by weight, and I believe it does, then it will consume war nickels that aren't culls.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:58 pm

I know people that will consume war nickels. LOL :mrgreen:
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 am

To anyone who hoards pennies. Dad joke alert...

I've got a disguise for you. Imagine going into a bank. Two tellers are talking. One says to the other- "Oh it's them again." The other one replies, "I've known them since the early 80's. They're the Lincoln family, Victor and Penny. Victor says his favorite comedian of all-time is David Brenner and that his wife is a perfect 70."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:55 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
willy13 wrote:

Both the current Jefferson nickel and the war nickel weigh 5 grams according to coinflation.com. If the Coinstar goes by weight, and I believe it does, then it will consume war nickels that aren't culls.

I don't remember finding any war nicks in the local machines, so that makes sense. Lots of silver dimes and quarters in about 15-20 years of checking, but no halves or war nickels that I remember.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:37 pm

Catfish4u wrote:Also, 'Zincoln's' are up to 96% of melt value! Save ALL nickels and pennies! I am also utilizing cash and trying to keep transactions cost to a minimum! jmho

wow, had to look that up on coinflation. as of today, 02/28/2022, zincolns are at about 95.6% face value metal.

what is up with zinc prices?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:15 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:Also, 'Zincoln's' are up to 96% of melt value! Save ALL nickels and pennies! I am also utilizing cash and trying to keep transactions cost to a minimum! jmho

wow, had to look that up on coinflation. as of today, 02/28/2022, zincolns are at about 95.6% face value metal.

I keep them all now. 8-)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:

I keep them all now. 8-)

I will turn in the zincolns to buy more rolls of cents to look for copper ones.

I am wondering if other countries had such an arbitrage opportunity on this inverse seigniorage for common circulating coins whether they would do the Gresham's Law thing. Seems to me that when a copper cent is worth 3x in metal value vs. face, then it is apparently a screaming opportunity. Are there any other countries with such a dramatic coin Metal % of Face Value ?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:28 pm

Yes there is- Canada with pre 1982 nickels. They are worth more than 2x face, but getting very difficult to find.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:42 am

Zincoln melt value now more than face value, keep them all boys!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby willy13 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:12 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Zincoln melt value now more than face value, keep them all boys!

:shock: Never thought Zinc would see such a surge!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby willy13 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:16 am

Will little Joey let the penny go?
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:26 am

willy13 wrote:
TXSTARFIRE wrote:Zincoln melt value now more than face value, keep them all boys!

:shock: Never thought Zinc would see such a surge!

Oh yeah! Been keeping them for a few years now. Got several 5gal buckets full. Viva Zinc!
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:21 pm

willy13 wrote:Will little Joey let the penny go?

Sleepy Joe might not even know or care what a penny is.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing