The thrill of reviving old and worn change.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: The thrill of reviving old and worn change.

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:42 pm

.47 went back into the world today via a grocery store check out. Part of the purchase was Hershey's chocolate, thanks to all who throw their change out! :D
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:24 pm

thecrazyone wrote:...thanks to all who throw their change out! :D

Indeed! This weekend I had a nice Coinstar score that also featured a dozen or so coins in a small trash can beside the machine. Had no second thoughts about picking them out for rescue. Among them were these poor quarters. The one on the right fit nicely into a bank roll, the other I'll have to be more creative with, maybe leaving it in a tip jar.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:45 pm

coindood wrote:Image

Decided to throw caution to the wind and included both quarters into some rolls brought to the bank today. Revived!

And was promptly rewarded with this stash of poor zincolns at a Coinstar. The cycle continues...
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:38 pm

coindood wrote:Yes!

Three years ago I found over 30 terribly corroded pennies in a Coinstar. Some were barely recognizable as coins and I wondered what to do with them. The answer was so easy - I added one to each roll of pennies that I gradually accumulated over the years. Today I'm bringing the last ones to the bank. Vendors might balk at accepting these, but hidden in rolls, these crusty zincolns get a new life.

I put my crusty zincolns into a pile. When I get enough, I make a roll or two and then swap them out (with normal rolls too of course) for more rolls to sort. I sometimes dump boxes of sorted, but unwanted coins into a local machine which is FREE for account holders. Meanwhile, the crusty zincolns get opened by either a bank teller or a business customer. I once turned in SIX rolls of crusty zincolns!!!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:30 am

I roll the ,uglies, in a single roll. Then act the homeless guy. Not too hard for me. Go to a fast food place and order from the dollar menu.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:20 pm

cwgii wrote:I roll the ,uglies, in a single roll. Then act the homeless guy. Not too hard for me. Go to a fast food place and order from the dollar menu.

We’re going to need a video of you acting like a homeless guy. LOL
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:30 pm

Agree. This would be FUNNY to see!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:19 pm

coindood wrote:Image

Yikes.

Found this abandoned on a Coinstar ledge, it's probably the saddest example of a zincoln I've seen. At 1.6 grams, almost half its weight is gone but despite this severe deterioration it'll be put into a roll and brought to the bank.

A new candidate for Most Deteriorated Zincoln showed up at a Coinstar the other day. It looks like a dryer coin and it's clear zincolns don't hold up very well compared to their copper counterparts.

It's also 1.6 grams, but in this case I think I'll keep it as a companion piece of the little guy below, which despite its shriveled appearance still weighs in at a hearty 2.8 grams.

coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 pm

I have pulled pennies similar to your 1.6 grams. I put them into rolls with other garbage cents. That way, someone else can pull them too! Lol
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:46 pm

I used a dime the other night that I recently picked up in a turn lane. It had been sitting there for quite a while, waiting to "turn" :D
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:35 am

Reality check.

I had not ,read, a coin star in years. Gone is the free exchange for stores I actually use. Now it is all, fluffy kid stores.

No hiss
cwgii

Postby coindood » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:27 pm

A batch of badly decaying zincolns was among my Coinstar finds today. Not sure what causes this spotty deterioration, but it looks ol' Abe was afflicted with some kind of coinpox. His Memorial didn't fare too well either. :?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:10 am

Those Zincolns definitely do not hold up well. I've seen many like that.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:44 am

When I get those I make an effort to use them same day. My wife and I just used some at Lowe's.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:26 am

thecrazyone wrote:When I get those I make an effort to use them same day. My wife and I just used some at Lowe's.

Still finding Cu pennies from the 50's, 60's and 70's in my change that are brown, but still in EF/AU condition. Zincs that remain in circulation for 20-30 more years will be rusted out slugs by then.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:23 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Those Zincolns definitely do not hold up well. I've seen many like that.

Agreed. The zincolns are a poorly made coin. I just rolled up about 600 nasty , crusty zincolns about two hours ago. They will be going to a bank next week.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing