Weathered pennies crumbling and disintegrating.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Weathered pennies crumbling and disintegrating.

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am

I find a lot of weathered pennies, and have noticed that those newer than the copper ones can, and have, broken in my hand, or will disintegrate. Anyone else experienced this? It's another reason that I am quick to unload newer year pennies!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Weathered pennies crumbling and disintegrating.

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 am

We've discussed it. Zinc is a sacrificial metal in any electrolytic corrosion event and will destroy itself in the process. It's not a good choice for circulating coin due to that limited life, but they are stamping so many of them they are more than replacing the corrosion losses (though at a cost).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:06 am

Interesting. Wasn't aware of that!
Last edited by thecrazyone on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:08 am

Nickels aren't zinc and the cu ni alloy used for US 5 cents are inherently corrosion resistent - in fact that alloy is in common use for marine purposes.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 am

My error, thought they had zinc in them too. Apologies!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm

The zinc penny, " Warning; This coin will self destruct in 20-30 years!"
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Are you saying the zinc pennies break into pieces? I've gone through lots of rolls of pennies and don't ever remember seeing one broken into pieces. I'd be curious to see photos of a zinc Lincoln on it's last legs. Anyone know of any videos or websites showing this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:00 pm

They will eventually corrode to nothing. You won't see them in most rolls because the sorting machines will have rejected them
68Camaro

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:47 pm

I just had one break that was next to a car wash vac and it broke when I was cleaning it off.

Any newer ones that I find that were exposed to The elements for some time always do it to me. I have to make sure that I use them as quickly as possible!

I can email a pic next time it happens, but it definitely does.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Here's a vid where they have a broken penny:

https://youtu.be/pfhFHr9JVAM
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I'd be curious to see photos of a zinc Lincoln on it's last legs. Anyone know of any videos or websites showing this?

Dang!

I had a couple dozen I rescued from a Coinstar a few years back that I gradually fed back into rolls brought to the bank since I couldn't stand throwing even one cent away. The last few were the worst, roughly 25% of the coin was gone and what was left was severely corroded. Could barely make out design features. I'm sure these were brought in by homeless people who'd found them on the ground and were exposed to the elements for months/years (the coins, not the people :shock: ...on second though, perhaps the people too :? ). The worst of them I'm sure would've broken in half if I'd attempted it. Never took pics though.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:36 am

Wow- I didn't realize they were so fragile. It would be interesting to see what happens to one when dropped off a tall building...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am

I know, I was in total shock to see that could happen. When you have coins that are over 100 yrs old, it's mind-blowing to see a much newer coin break like an egg!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Just like anything lately the new stuff doesn't last as long as the older ones
hobo finds

Postby Chief » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Zinc pennies are junk. They are worth the metal that they are made of
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Add the damaged zinc to rolls or spend them when you get them. The mint has suspended the damaged coin buy back program again so it is best to get rid of them quick.
hobo finds

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:25 pm

hobo finds wrote:The mint has suspended the damaged coin buy back program again so it is best to get rid of them quick.
Now that's funny. They're probably getting more back than they can manage!

Was there a damaged coin buyback program during Roman times? :D
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 pm

Image Image
Looking thru my collection I found a couple of rolls of abused coins and I thought about this thread.

When zincolns like this first began emerging I thought they were oddities, so I saved a bunch. The previous batch I mentioned were much worse than this, but these have also been thru the ringer. Not enough to be able to break them in half, but they're getting there. Before that happens I'm gonna put em back in rolls for the bank.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 am

I have a coffee can gettin full of these trash cents...I also have a zinc cent with no zinc...only the copper shell.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing