Is Anyone Excited that Copper is at a 7-Month High?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is Anyone Excited that Copper is at a 7-Month High?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:15 am

I don't know how closely everyone follows the price of copper, but it is currently at $2.78/lb., which is a 7-month high. This is on fears of upcoming supply shortages- partially due to mines being offline (both planned and unplanned outages). Also, when the trade situation with China is behind us, there are concerns that demand for copper may outstrip supply and cause stockpiles to be reduced. Is anyone getting excited about this possibility? Are you so sick of metals being in the doldrums that you will believe it when you see it? Or are there other factors involved that we need to look at? Your thoughts please...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is Anyone Excited that Copper is at a 7-Month High?

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:57 am

I hadnt been paying attention to the copper price. I went to Coinflation and I see a copper cent is worth 1.85 cents now, that is pretty close to double face value. I will start to watch copper prices again. Thanks for the heads up.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:21 am

I keep close track. Copper likes to tease. It is more essential than other metals.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby realhumancopper » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:35 pm

I think copper will have to hit $4.00 before there is any real interest among buyers to pay more than face for Lincoln coppers. Here in SoCal I can't find anyone who is interested in Canadian coppers for 1.10 ea. They have to pick them up and gas is just at $4.00 a gallon for high test.....................................hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mauserman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:39 am

Copper at around $2.95/ lb now.

Red headed step child of money about to stretch its wings with its siblings? :|
Mauserman

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:30 pm

From four year lows in March to two year highs today. Next stop $3.

I am reading that mine shutdowns in Chile (COVID related) and flooding in China are being blamed.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:51 pm

People on here seem really burnt out on copper and I don't blame them. Most people on the forum have been around over 10 years and the highs feel like they are behind us. If copper breaks $3.50 I think there will finally be some excitement again for the small sorter. With all the stimulus money and low interest rates its certainly not impossible.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby theo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:33 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:People on here seem really burnt out on copper and I don't blame them. Most people on the forum have been around over 10 years and the highs feel like they are behind us. If copper breaks $3.50 I think there will finally be some excitement again for the small sorter. With all the stimulus money and low interest rates its certainly not impossible.

I am in the process of going through my copper hoard. I'm keeping about half of them (the cleanest coins) and turning the rest of them into the bank. In addition I'm turning some of my nickels in. Of course I'm using the proceeds to buy silver. This week I decided to cut out the middle man and take some nickels ($70 worth) and pennies ($20 worth) to my local LCS. It worked out pretty well. One of the other customers (an acquaintance) bought $10 worth of nickels a few minutes after I arrived. The LCS owner was happy to take the rest and knocked about $1.50 off of my purchase*. He also mentioned that probably would not turn the coins into the bank.

I agree that we have been beaten down a bit over the years, however I now think that in the next 5 years (perhaps sooner) we will be able to trade copper pennies (and maybe nickels) for more than face.

*For those who are interested. I bought 5 .999 Art rounds (4 Republics and 1 Silvertown) and $1.25 of 90% (Including 2 Walking Liberties) for $180. Unfortunately this was Monday when silver was about $29 :thumbdown:
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:52 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:People on here seem really burnt out on copper and I don't blame them. Most people on the forum have been around over 10 years and the highs feel like they are behind us. If copper breaks $3.50 I think there will finally be some excitement again for the small sorter. With all the stimulus money and low interest rates its certainly not impossible.

When copper passed $3.00 I meant to make a big to do, $3 means the copper cent is worth twice face value. It took me a week. No one else beat me to the punch.

Maybe $3.50 is the magic mark.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm

I keep separating my copper cents out, even though it will probably end up being my great grandchildren that benefit from my efforts. :|
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:51 am

Copper currently at $3.06 (per kitcometals.com), the highest since June-July, 2018.

Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:26 am

I have been looking at Coinflation for silver and gold prices and occasionally look at the copper and nickel prices. With the talk of copper prices going up I checked coinflation and see that they still show copper at 2.78 @lb with a cent worth 1.85 cents. I looked a little closer and and it says "Table based on December 20, 2019 close base metal prices." So evidently they are no longer updating the value of coins made with base metals. I guess I will have to find somewhere else to track what a cent and nickel are worth for melt value.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am

Huh - dunno why they didn't setup those prices as automated updates like gold and silver. They do have a still active link to the kitco copper page on the about page.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info 68. I will start checking the kitco copper page, I see they also show the nickel price.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks for the site sparechange. Its too bad the coinflation site no longer works for base metal coins, it was my one stop site for melt values.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:47 am

sparechange wrote:Here's a site I've used

http://coinapps.com/copper/penny/calculator/

Thanks for posting this!

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:13 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I like this site. Thanks for the tip.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:04 am

And now I see that Coinflation is updating base metal prices again. Copper cent now worth 2.32 cents. Coinflation is once again my one stop site for coin melt values. I will pay closer attention though in the future.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Doesn't look like they are current on Ni price though, only showing as $7.26, while Kitco shows $7.34. Not sure how often Coinflation updates.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:Doesn't look like they are current on Ni price though, only showing as $7.26, while Kitco shows $7.34. Not sure how often Coinflation updates.

It says it on the page... today is based off of DEC 4
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I am pleased that the cent is worth more than double and that the Portland Mint is up to $145 a ctu shipped. However, I am excited to see the stock market up so much in November...who knew it would increase more than 10% in one month!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:Huh - dunno why they didn't setup those prices as automated updates like gold and silver. They do have a still active link to the kitco copper page on the about page.

why cant we have those prices on our forum?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby smackvay » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:39 am

What is #1 copper going for in your guys area?
Central wv it is $2.40-$2.50

I did sell 17 catalytic converters for a ton of $$$ the other day apparently they are up
My first time selling them so I’m learning

Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing