Are you able to get coin?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Are you able to get coin?

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:50 am

Select 7-Eleven stores are incentivizing customers to bring in change, offering a free Slurpee to those who trade $5 in change for $5 in cash.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cwgii » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:01 pm

20% profit..or do you have to spend 5
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:05 am

every $10 in rolled coins you exchange with the Chick-fil-A on South Memorial Parkway, you will receive a free chicken sandwich. In Alabama

Wawa · Jul 14, 2020 · $5 in change gets you free soda or coffee and $10 gets you a free shorti.
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:26 am

hobo finds wrote:every $10 in rolled coins you exchange with the Chick-fil-A on South Memorial Parkway, you will receive a free chicken sandwich. In Alabama

Wawa · Jul 14, 2020 · $5 in change gets you free soda or coffee and $10 gets you a free shorti.

I like that Chick-Fil-A deal. I'd be all over that one.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby justoneguy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20 am

coin shortage no common cents.jpg
coin shortage no common cents.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 pm

So check this out...

the Grandson (just turned 7) and I were rolling some cents to spend on some ice cream while out on our bike ride. While we were counting and rolling he asked..."Poppy did you cause the coin shortage" :D

Impressive that a 7 yr old notices these things in the world.

to answer the OP question....No, I have been unable to source any coin. Not even halves...now what is up with that?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:53 pm

fasteddy wrote:So check this out...

the Grandson (just turned 7) and I were rolling some cents to spend on some ice cream while out on our bike ride. While we were counting and rolling he asked..."Poppy did you cause the coin shortage" :D

to answer the OP question....No, I have been unable to source any coin. Not even halves...now what is up with that?

And you said, "No, my wise grandson, but my friends and I did."
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:31 pm

I wish I never cashed in my nickels. I do still have a pile of copper pennies that I still believe will be very lucrative at some point in the not too distant future.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am

shinnosuke wrote:

And you said, "No, my wise grandson, but my friends and I did."

Yup, I did...I told him when he gets a little older I would introduce him to the group. :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am

This is an all-time classic comment from your wonderful grandson. One thing I did when my daughter was young is to keep a diary (on my computer) of funny things she has said over the years. You want to be sure to write them down and store them in a safe place before the details slip away. She's in her 20's now and we still read them to new friends of hers when we meet them. Everyone has a good laugh and my daughter never told me she was too embarrassed to hear them. I hope to read them to my daughter's kid/children when they are old enough to understand.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:26 am

Coins struck for general circulation in conjunction with the Federal Reserve orders are produced at just the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.

As of Aug. 6, the U.S. Mint recorded production of 8,221,420,000 coins — 4,287,800,000 coins struck at the Denver Mint and 3,933,620,000 coins at the Philadelphia Mint.

The output reflects:
➤ Cents: 2,339,600,000 struck at the Denver Mint; 2,021,600,000 struck at the Philadelphia Mint.
➤ 5-cent coins: 439,440,000 in Denver; 396,720,000 in Philadelphia.
➤ Dimes: 762,500,000, Denver; 727,000,000, Philadelphia.
➤ Quarter dollars: 743,200,000 struck at the Denver Mint; 784,600,000 struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

The overall totals also include the circulation quality strikes for Kennedy half dollars and Native American dollars, although neither series is released into general circulation; each is only produced for numismatic sales at premiums above face value.

Production reflects 1.8 million half dollars at Denver and 2.3 million at Philadelphia, as well as 1.26 million Native American dollars at Denver and 1.4 million at Philadelphia.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 am

At the rate they are minting coins do you think they will mint more cents in 2020 then they did in 1982?

How about the nickel will they mint more in 2020 than 1964?
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:28 am

I meant to add another little gem from 1-2 months ago. I was going to get my vehicle emissions inspection done and decided to pay cash. I had a few half dollars that I included and was able to make exact change. The man on the other end said he had to get approval to accept the halves and proceeded to show me the contents of his cash register, which had only currency (no coins!) in it.

He then accepted my halves.

Recyclersteve

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 pm

My bank told that I can get coins starting next week. We'll see
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Funny you had videos in the past with people paying for things with change like tickets, taxes and fines and they would not take coin. I wonder now if they would take it.
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Limited to one roll of each, again today. But a teller I know, had 230 in halves.
cwgii

Postby Changechecker » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:36 pm

I made a trip to my bank today. Guy walking in the door ahead of me struggling under the weight of the box full of rolled coins in his arms. I purchased two rolls of quarters. I may go back next week and see if I can buy some.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mauserman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

Called my bank today and was told “no” about a penny box. Not good. :(
Mauserman

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I have had coin to return to my dump bank for a week now. Coin counter has out of order sign on it. The machine works fine but is full. They claim they can not get an empty container from the Fed. The bank is a TCF branch and they are not charging for use of the coin counter during the pandemic even if you dont have an account with them. That makes sense. I dont know if it is a TCF wide policy or just this one branch. Anyone else see coin counting fees waived at their branch bank? Anyway I cant dump my coin until they get an empty container. Could it be that so much coin is being returned that there is a shortage of containers?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:10 am

bankmining wrote:
hobo finds wrote:Safeway by me no cash transactions. Even at self check out

No cash transactions at all self-checkouts at my local Walmart this morning. Not sure about the cashier checkouts. The elderly attendant at self-checkout said it was because of a “money shortage at the store”.

I think this is happening at our local WM as well. It looked like all of the self-checkout lines were card last night, and there was a line for a cashier that seemed to stretch to the back of the building. Crazy times!!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:03 pm

The Fed hates coins.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:24 pm

Coin counter was available at TCF today. Turned in $270.00 in halfs.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:25 am

Home Depot last night had a sign posted to provide exact change when possible.

I can't believe noone beyond Chic Fil A is offering you a deal to use your change there to help them- it's not like the general public is responsible for this (at least, yet!).
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:47 pm

One of my banks were able to give me $100 of pennies and $120 of nickels. All CWR, found 4 war nickels and 2 buffaloes. Searching the pennies tonight.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppers4me » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:13 pm

my understanding is the FED prints notes, the Treasury makes the coins.
so my question is does the FED regulate what the treasury makes, if so then the FED has power over the US government.
Right or wrong?
coppers4me

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing