Are you able to get coin?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are you able to get coin?

Postby coppernickel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:28 pm

My town has a bank. The same bank existed from 1892 until 2009. Since then it changes names about every 18 months. We have a small branch of a moderate credit union.

The credit union that is generally willing to order me a box of coin two or three times a month. The coin is generally older than at the bank, but it takes a week or more to get it. Mostly getting nickels of late. I asked if they would get me a box of cents and nickels for next week.
The lead teller told me, "The Fed has cut them off." The credit union has been told that because of COVID19, the mint is not able to produce coin like normal so the credit unions are being limited to three boxes of coin per week, no more. She then got on a tangent that she is thinking it is a conspiracy to make the economy cashless or die trying. :?

My bank was more than willing to give me a box of nickels and cents. They have ready cash on hand. No problem. :thumbup: At first glance they are 2019.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Are you able to get coin?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:02 am

Wow- you’ve got me curious now. I need to do some checking. Stay tuned.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:46 am

I have been wondering about this. I would think that there might be a coin shortage because of all the bank lobbies that are closed. Lobby coin counters are not available for people to dump their coin and you cant put much coin in a tube at the drive through. Anyone have thoughts on this?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Great Reduction in Volume of Coins in Circulation--COVID19-

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Saw a clip from CNBC that there's an acute shortage of (regular) circulating coins here in the US. Apparently this is due to a huge increase of credit and debit transactions since the onset of the Coronavirus.

Many/most merchants would rather incur the swipe fee on the cards than deal with the added inconvenience of cash transactions. Add to that the growing concerns about whether coins CAN actually be a host carrier for the virus during these highly-sensitized times.

Elected officials have gone on record with Jerome Powell (Fed Chair) that something needs to be done to get US coins back into regular circulation. These concerned elected officials have been instructed to contact their nearest Federal Reserve Bank to learn more about the shortage and what can be done to alleviate it.

May we live in interesting times, eh?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JJM » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:58 pm

There were a few bits on this subject in the news yesterday, here's one of them:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/17/got-cha ... rency.html

As for the OP's question, I haven't been trying.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:24 am

Here is an article on msn.com that I saw...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... &ocid=iehp

The text (for when the link goes away)...

There's a nationwide shortage of coins because of the pandemic

Masks were the first to go. Then toilet paper flew off shelves. And while Americans are being nickel-and-dimed with coronavirus-related costs in a shaky economy, the latest national shortage includes, well, nickels and dimes.

There's a coin shortage in the US.

"What's happened is that, with the partial closure of the economy, the flow of coins through the economy has gotten all — it's kind of stopped," Federal Reserve chairman Jerome Powell said during a virtual hearing with the House Financial Services Committee on Wednesday.

That's because the supply chain that coins usually flow through has been interrupted during the pandemic, Powell said.

Banks and businesses have shuttered or changed the way they operate. And so there are fewer coins reaching the public.

"The places where you go to give your coins, and get credit at the store and get cash — you know, folding money — those have not been working. Stores have been closed," he said. "So the whole system has kind of, had come to a stop."

The impact

During the hearing Wednesday, Rep. John Rose of Tennessee told Powell that banks in his district were notified by the Federal Reserve that they'd only receive a small portion of their weekly coin order. The banks told him they'd likely run out of coins by the end of the week or may need to round up or down if they run low, Rose said.

"In a time when pennies are the difference between profitability and loss, it seems like it might be a bigger concern than the announcement from the Fed would indicate that it is," Rose said.

What's being done

To mitigate the coin shortage, the Federal Reserve Banks began the "strategic allocation of coin inventories" this week to evenly distribute coins across banks and credit unions. Those "strategic allocation" measures include imposing order limits based on the historic order volume of those coins and how many coins the US Mint is currently producing.

In the meantime, the Federal Reserve is working with the Mint to produce more coins and lift supply constraints. The Reserve encourages institutions to order only the amount of coins they need to meet customer demand in the short term.

"Although the Federal Reserve is confident that the coin inventory issues will resolve once the economy opens more broadly and the coin supply chain returns to normal circulation patterns, we recognize that these measures alone will not be enough to resolve near‐term issues," the Reserve Banks statement said.

Federal Reserve officials believe the shortage is temporary, Powell said.

"As the economy reopens, we're seeing coins begin to move around again," he said.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Re: Great Reduction in Volume of Coins in Circulation--COVID

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 am

Wow... the opposite of what I thought was going to happen.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am

Whatever happened to the mega millions in feds storage.
cwgii

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:32 pm

My credit union has been keeping the doors locked...only drive thru. However, if I need a document notarized or want to dump some coins, they will let me in. I have been dumping only...$2800 in nickels after sorting, but I haven't tried buying any coins lately.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Please combine the threads...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44436
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:04 am

It would be very interesting if Kyle Bass (of Texas) did the same thing he did ca. 2011, namely order $1 million in nickels. I’d LOVE to hear both ends of that phone call!

Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:18 am

shinnosuke wrote:Please combine the threads...

Good idea so done. Never done a merge before - pretty cool
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 pm

JadeDragon wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Please combine the threads...

Good idea so done. Never done a merge before - pretty cool

Thank you!
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Previously in this thread I mentioned being curious about the availability of coins in my area.

I decided to check out 4 big banks yesterday- all were BofA, Chase or Wells Fargo branches and all within a 2 square mile area.

BofA- lobby open. Nothing of interest available.

Chase- lobby open. Got $5.50 in halves, but no silver. Also was able to get $550 in original Unc. Presidential dollars.

Chase- needed to use drive-thru. No halves or Ikes, but teller said he can get coin in a week or so.

Wells Fargo- lobby open. No coins that I was looking for, but teller said they could give me $5 in pennies or $10 in nickels if I wanted. I passed on the offer.

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 pm

From the local Walgreens, today.
received_2648239188782176.jpeg
received_2648239188782176.jpeg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 pm

I was at a Circle K last night and noticed they had a sign asking for quarters from anyone who could bring them in. For what it is worth, it was in an area with lots of low budget apartments and homeless people. And, no, I don’t live in a van down by the river! (Hat tip to the late great Chris Farley)

Recyclersteve

Postby chris6084 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:25 am

I was in a Quik Trip today with a sign that said they had no coins at all. All change less than a dollar would be given in gift cards.

I wonder how much money they will make off of people that never redeem these pocket change gift cards.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm

chris6084 wrote:I was in a Quik Trip today with a sign that said they had no coins at all. All change less than a dollar would be given in gift cards.

I wonder how much money they will make off of people that never redeem these pocket change gift cards.

However, overall they might lose money...
- cost of the plastic card
- the cost of the cashier payroll time of having to tell the customer that they have no coins and will have to return the difference in a card, and the customer who never listens carefully (looking at myself in the mirror) says, "Say what?!" and the cashier has to explain it all again
- payroll time of the cashier having to deal with the customer using the card for his next purchase along with some cash, some S&H Green stickers and a Mickey Mantle baseball trading card
- payroll time of the highest to lowest levels of the company to explain the reason for no coins and thus the necessity of returning money to customers in the form of gift cards
- lawyer time (even in-house) writing up the new rules and regulations and compliance warnings for the new policy so upper management can send out a decree that won't cost them their jobs when the Twitter crowd learns about it
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:52 am

Shinnosuke: I like what you said there.

Also, went to a Wendy’s yesterday and they said they desperately need coins, especially pennies, which surprised me. I’m digging through loose change as we speak to see what I can find for them. I suppose I’ll have to say “I’ll trade this zinc for that Frosty.”

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:16 am

Arkansas bank paying 2% over face for coins

https://witl.com/latest-shortage-coins- ... -get-them/
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:57 am

hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Safeway by me no cash transactions. Even at self check out
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Family dollar , sign, coin crisis.exact change encouraged. Also needed $1,5 too.
cwgii

Postby bankmining » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 am

hobo finds wrote:Safeway by me no cash transactions. Even at self check out

No cash transactions at all self-checkouts at my local Walmart this morning. Not sure about the cashier checkouts. The elderly attendant at self-checkout said it was because of a “money shortage at the store”.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Im thinking of turning in my , ugly copppet. Also the 56-59 roolls if nickels. Since I cannot ßell either.
cwgii

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing