Are you able to get coin?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Are you able to get coin?

Postby Saabman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 am

After botching my last two half dollar orders, my pick up bank called me yesterday and told me that they couldn't order any for me because they couldn't get any coins at all, including pennies, nickels, dimes, nothing.......
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:46 am

A friend texted me this notice he saw at his bank just north of the Houston area.

coin-shortage.jpg
coin-shortage.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:07 am

Well, not that I'm interested in re-stocking bricks of nickels these days (like many long-term members I've developed alternate better reserves), but if you were a new stacker and wanted to acquire basic coin that has intrinsic value at minimal premium, nickels and copper cents are now mostly off the table, if you don't already have them.

That is a development that I didn't completely expect, though it makes sense for the specifics of the situation we're in.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mauserman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:55 pm

I’ve been following these stirrings for the last few weeks and it’s really getting interesting. There’s obviously no shortage of clad, it’s just stuck in the wrong places right now. I’m hopeful the problem will fix itself with better management and the government won’t take drastic measures with our money.

On the bright side, maybe coin collectors will start seeing 2020 hard times tokens pop up. :shifty:
Mauserman

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 am

68Camaro wrote:Well, not that I'm interested in re-stocking bricks of nickels these days (like many long-term members I've developed alternate better reserves), but if you were a new stacker and wanted to acquire basic coin that has intrinsic value at minimal premium, nickels and copper cents are now mostly off the table, if you don't already have them.

That is a development that I didn't completely expect, though it makes sense for the specifics of the situation we're in.

You’d think this would create a great opportunity for people on this site. A retired person who is thinning out their worldly possessions could trade their boxes of pennies and nickels to someone who is still in the accumulation phase. It would obviously help if they lived near each other to save on shipping charges.

This could be a win win situation given the proper circumstances. Oh well...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am

I had the opportunity to spend some time over at realcent on forum.co I found a few quotes that are very applicable.

https://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=135
Ardent Listener wrote:Hoard as much as you can, as quickly as you can friends. "There will be time enough for sorting, when the dealing is done. (Posted - 07/06/2006)

realcent wrote:
Ardent Listener wrote:Hoard as much as you can, as quickly as you can friends. "There will be time enough for sorting, when the dealing is done. (Posted - 07/06/2006)

I think Ardent is right about this. I can see a time coming, maybe sooner than we think, where any pile of coins will be worth much more than the equivalent in paper dollars.
Hoard ye pennies while ye may.. (Posted - 07/06/2006)

https://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp? ... hichpage=4
Ardent Listener wrote:I went out and bought another $100.00 box today. It just felt like a good thing to do considering all that is going on with the economy now. (Posted - 07/02/2009)
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 pm

For anyone who finds a juicy subject that they can’t finish reading now (because it is so long), just bookmark it. If that is too complicated for some reason, then you can respond to the topic with your thoughts and go back later and click on “Your Postings” (or whatever they call it).

Cue the music...

#themoreyouknow (hat tip to the NBC commercials)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 pm

I could get as much as I wanted until last week. Banks are openly back up here in Rochester ny, so hopefully the shortage will end soon.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:51 pm

My bank had been low on coin but the lobbies opened last week and today they said they have a lot of coin because people have been coming with lots of change to cash in.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:23 pm

I was told... Guy had 1000 of dimes n quarter, bank would not accept.
cwgii

Postby chris6084 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 am

Why are these shortages happening? Coins haven't disappeared.

Just about everywhere I go now, places have signs about coin shortages and requesting people to pay by credit/debit card.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Meanwhile, some smaller retailers are getting creative to address the problem. The Growler Guys, a beer shop in Bend, Oregon, posted on its Facebook page that it will pay customers $1.05 for every $1 in rolled coins they bring in.
hobo finds

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Stop at the local bank today to see if they needed some extra coins and they said I could bring some in but that they are at this point not running low.
dakota1955

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Just visited a Walmart here in San Antonio. The guy ahead of me paid in cash and was due 79 cents in change. The cashier informed him that they were out of pennies and asked if it was OK if Walmart only returned 75 cents. The guy agreed while I screamed in protest (inside my head). Those pennies go right to Walmart's bottom line. Multiply that by a bunch of transactions.The largest retailer in the world can't offer the customer 80 cents instead?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby xippi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 am

I hear You
Simple answer bring your own change.
problem solved
if not we are going to Zimbabwe style change.
u can take 2 things from row one and 1 thing from row 2 . :arrow: :twisted: :sick:
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 am

Should the us mint release some nifc half dollars and clad s mint national park quarters into circulation to help with the shortage?

Also if you are a business and people are paying with exact change are you going to deposit that coin or hold on to it?
hobo finds

Postby coppernickel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:24 pm

109778739_2709055685979789_3663443122252048405_n.jpg
109778739_2709055685979789_3663443122252048405_n.jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

I have a plan to offer the businesses that I frequent some empty coin rolls and a sign that says, "this business is willing to accept limited rolled coin."
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:03 pm

If I had a small business I’d post the following sign: “We currently have a shortage of silver dimes and quarters (pre 1965) and even half dollars (pre 1971). We are paying a premium of 20% over face value for whatever you can bring in. Thank you for your cooperation in helping with the shortage.”

Recyclersteve

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 pm

There may be a day in the not too distant future where any coin will be able to be exchanged for multiple times its nominal value. Hopefully, we will just see severe stagflation and not full blown hyperinflation. Ardent listener may have been 15 years early but may be may turn out to be right.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:01 am

Bank paying $5 for $100 face of coins turned in.
https://fox6now.com/2020/07/16/coin-sho ... ed-before/
hobo finds

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:39 am

hobo finds wrote:Bank paying $5 for $100 face of coins turned in.
https://fox6now.com/2020/07/16/coin-sho ... ed-before/

Might make a road trip to turn in some halves and zinclons.
On a side note-yesterday I paid in cash at a gas station and was owed $1.10 in change. I was given 11 2020-P dimes. I asked the cashier if the coin shortage is over-he said for now they have change, but $1 and $5 are low for them right now and that’s why I got 11 dimes.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm

https://gvwire.com/2020/07/15/as-coin-s ... ll-change/

2 banks paying 10,% above face..

Amarillo National Bank in Texas is paying a 10% bonus for coin exchanges at all of its branches across the state. They’re offering a bounty of up to $500 to anyone who brings their change to the bank, whether they’re an account holder or not. And they’re waiving all exchange fees, too.

Gorham Savings Bank
@GSBMaine
Use the coin counter at our Gorham, Windham, or Portland Marginal Way locations and we’ll give you an extra 10%! Or bring rolled coins into any GSB branch location. Click
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 am

Mint spokesman Michael White said the agency is already on track to produce 1.65 billion coins per month for the remainder of 2020, amounting to a production level of 19.8 billion circulating coins. It's a boost from 2019, when 12.4 billion circulating coins were produced.
hobo finds

Postby coppernickel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:37 am

Is the coin shortage more proof that the media is causing one panic after another?

On June 16 there was no problem. On June 17 J. Powell testified the banks are running out of cash. Viola, coin shortage.

We have seen the first COVID shut down caused by more panic than science(truth). Then shortages of toilet paper, meat, hair dye, etc. Then the media focuses of race differences and the privilege of the rich.

It is looking more and more like the media is conspiring in their hate of America. The media has personified President Trump as the ultimate free minded, liberty loving American. The liberal community has shown their hand how clearly they despise America, American ideals, Liberty, and anyone who supports this Republic.

It is clear to me that the coin shortage is a media driven panic.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing