Are you able to get coin?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Are you able to get coin?

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Another update on this: Wawa is offering the following:

1. a free cup of coffee, or fountain soda, for every $5 in coins provided (they give you cash in place of coins)
2. a free shortie hoagie for every $50 in coins provided (they give you cash in place of coins)

Coins do not need to be rolled, as I understand it.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:36 pm

I asked for and was able to get a box a nickels at my bank, the one that prompted the question in the first place.

The teller told me, "The FED never ran out of money. With all the lockdown orders, they simply didn't have enough people to move the money."
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:26 pm

coppernickel wrote:I asked for and was able to get a box a nickels at my bank, the one that prompted the question in the first place.

The teller told me, "The FED never ran out of money. With all the lockdown orders, they simply didn't have enough people to move the money."

I guess this is good news for guys like us.

However, the lockdown orders did not seem to affect the availability of paper money though.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:50 pm

I have found that many bank branches simply do not accept coin from anyone, or require an appointment to deposit more than a few dollars. Between the two scenarios, few people who would be depositing $20-$30 dollars of coin a month are taking it in, forcing banks and credit unions to limit how much coin can be supplied to account holders. Without circulation, shortages can occur.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:59 pm

galenrog wrote:I have found that many bank branches simply do not accept coin from anyone, or require an appointment to deposit more than a few dollars. Between the two scenarios, few people who would be depositing $20-$30 dollars of coin a month are taking it in, forcing banks and credit unions to limit how much coin can be supplied to account holders. Without circulation, shortages can occur.

Time for more coffee.

Why?.. fear of covid coins? This sh*t is getting ridiculous.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
galenrog wrote:I have found that many bank branches simply do not accept coin from anyone, or require an appointment to deposit more than a few dollars. Between the two scenarios, few people who would be depositing $20-$30 dollars of coin a month are taking it in, forcing banks and credit unions to limit how much coin can be supplied to account holders. Without circulation, shortages can occur.

Time for more coffee.

Why?.. fear of covid coins? This sh*t is getting ridiculous.

Probably. Between politicians and media, if they are to be believed, it is a wonder anyone is still alive.

I do not have a problem with my credit union, but the bank my mother uses, among others, still requires an appointment for anything. Although more banks and credit unions are opening, some have used the “pandemic” as an excuse to do away with coin to the greatest extent possible, in my opinion.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Yep. The plandemic leads the local news here every day, morning noon and night. It gets more air time than the election.

Just another reason to avoid the tv. Honestly, I get almost no news from the tube these days. Barely even consult the weather anymore.

As for coin, my bank is back to normal, for intake anyway. I haven't asked about boxes in a while.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:18 am

In brighter news, there are 200,000 less deaths from the flu, tuberculosis, or pnemonia this year. (sarcasm)
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:In brighter news, there are 200,000 less deaths from the flu, tuberculosis, or pnemonia this year. (sarcasm)

You are correct. If you consult the CDC for your numbers, Total deaths from all causes will likely be around 2.8 million this year as it has been for the past few years.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm

The local Walmarts still do not allow you to use cash/coins at the self checkouts here in DE. I'm trying to understand why that is. Is there still a shortage of coins? Or, is it bc they've cut back on the people maintaining the currency levels within those machines?

That's one of the quickest ways that I dump what I call my "crusty coins".
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Mauserman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:08 pm

I called my smaller local bank today and they said they still could not give me coins in quantity unless I had a business...
Mauserman

Postby cwgii » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Chase branch today, limit of 2 rolls of each.two branches have shut down.and no more Saturday
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:27 pm

Final numbers for 2020 circulating coins

1 cent
D 4,035,600,000
P 3,560,800,000

Total cents 7,596,400,

5 cent
D 837,600,000
P 785,500,000
W NIFC no mintage numbers yet

Total nickels without W mint mark 1,623,100,000

10 cent
D 1,445,000,000
P 1,333,500,000

Total dimes 2,778,500,000

25 cents
D 1,370,400,000
P 1,397,600,000
W 10,000,000
S clad NIFC mintage not known yet

Total quarters without S clad mint marks 2,778,000,000

50 cents NIFC
D 3,400,000
P 2,300,000

Total half dollars 5,700,000

Dollar coins
Native American NIFC
D 1,260,000
P 1,400,000
Presidential Dollar Bush NIFC
D no mintage number yet
P no mintage number yet

Total dollar coins without Presidential Dollars 2,660,000

That's alot of coin, should be no shortage
hobo finds

Postby Mauserman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Called my bank & they said no penny boxes due to shortage, only for businesses. Called a different branch and they said they could order one. After a little bit of frustration speaking with different associates, they were able to find me a box when I came in to pick it up as instructed.

Just happy to sort some pennies! Got a full solo cup of copper, about 13 wheats and a king George. :thumbup:
Mauserman

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:51 am

Many businesses are discouraging or not accepting cash. They are encouraging tap contactless payment. There is also a major move toward online ordering, again electronic payment. Banks are encouraging telephone, online and ATM options and actively discouraging in person transactions. Many bank branches were totally closed around me, and others cut their hours. Traditionally cash based activities like farmers markets have decreased. Together, these changes have clearly decreased the amount of coin and cash circulating.

What we are seeing is the Velocity of Money formula in action - with the shift away from cash adding to the problem. It is not that there is a shortage of total coin, the problem is the coins are not circulating. This is a good read. https://www.bbntimes.com/financial/the- ... ty-stories
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Silver4face » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Still able to get rolls at most banks, but no longer full boxes. The plandemic has definitely made things harder, especially for people that like to deal with mass quantities.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Silver4face wrote:Still able to get rolls at most banks, but no longer full boxes. The plandemic has definitely made things harder, especially for people that like to deal with mass quantities.

Full boxes are still available at my credit union, but they charge me $7 per box.

My recent nickel hoarding has yielded three 5 gal buckets full of nickels in only 3 months. Needed play catch up on those in comparison to my Cu penny hoard. It's getting there! ;)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing