copper is spiking right now, anyone able to unload?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: copper is spiking right now, anyone able to unload?

Postby scyther » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:24 pm

Glad to hear there's a little more interest here. I just noticed copper's higher than it has been in many years. I haven't sorted in years but it would be fun to try again. The idea of going through a $50 bag sounds very fun and nostalgic to me right now. I have no idea if I could still get coins...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:31 am

At $4.43 per lb for copper the melt value on a copper cent is real close to 3 cents, 2.93 cents to be exact! What is the highest melt value that a copper cent has ever been?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:At $4.43 per lb for copper the melt value on a copper cent is real close to 3 cents, 2.93 cents to be exact! What is the highest melt value that a copper cent has ever been?

In 2011, copper prices were a bit higher than the current $4.40/lb. I think $4.50 or $4.60 at one point or another that year. Then the descent to below $2 (in early 2016) began. Nice recovery since! I imagine it'll break through $4.50 soon...
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:17 pm

wow, copper was under $3 beginning of April and trading now for $4.43...10 yrs ago it was $4.50 pound and some of us were selling the Cu cents for just over 2 cents apiece! Happy Days then and maybe tomorrow again!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 am

Kitco says that copper hasn’t been this high since 2011. That was also the year silver got really close to the magic $50 threshold.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby stas3000 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Kitco says that copper hasn’t been this high since 2011. That was also the year silver got really close to the magic $50 threshold.

Copper futures went a bit over $4.50/lb during late night (Asian) trading hours! So at or near all-time high. But silver is, what... 50% below the 2011 high? Very interesting...
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:46 am

Copper is almost $4.5/lb, and US copper cents are also approaching 3cents a piece!!!

I have buckets of unsorted (i.e. foreign and older coins are in there). That i'd be willing to hand these off by weight at this point for 2cents a piece. Takes so much time to hand sort...
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Klark Cent » Tue May 04, 2021 12:56 pm

300.24% of face value now
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 am

I’m curious about something. If I wanted to trade my common date average circulated wheat cents (no uglies or mutilated coins) for copper cents from 1959-81, what would be a fair trade (forget about freight). How many coppers would I get per wheat cent? Feel free to use whatever fractions you think are appropriate.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby willy13 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 am

Do you search for die varieties in the wheat cents?
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

Today...

$0.0302785 is the melt value for the 1909-1982 copper cent
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 pm

A US Nickel is worth just over 6 cents today.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 08, 2021 8:23 am

And a Canadian.999 nickel is worth 8.1 cents per coinflation.com.

Recyclersteve

Postby willy13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

$.031 melt value per cent!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppernickel » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:40 pm

willy13 wrote:$.031 melt value per cent!

So copper cents metal value today is 310% of face value.

Nickels have a metal value 127% of face value.

Even Zinc at $1.60 per pound makes a zinc cent metal value worth face value.

Doesn't the Irish blessing include, "May you live in interesting times?"
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 pm

coppernickel wrote:
willy13 wrote:$.031 melt value per cent!

So copper cents metal value today is 310% of face value.

Nickels have a metal value 127% of face value.

Even Zinc at $1.60 per pound makes a zinc cent metal value worth face value.

Doesn't the Irish blessing include, "May you live in interesting times?"

Post 1982 Zincoln's are now equal to their face value! 8-) Even I'm surprised that happened so quickly. :o

F yeah, interesting times indeed. Times are going to get even more interesting, and more dangerous.

Also, I implore you to buy a few cases of the most popular calibers of ammo (9mm, .40, .223, 7.62, .45) even if you don't have the gun for it. Please do it right now while it's readily available.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:37 am

Recyclersteve wrote:And a Canadian.999 nickel is worth 8.1 cents per coinflation.com.

Now the Canadian.999 nickels are worth slightly over 9 cents each!

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:And a Canadian.999 nickel is worth 8.1 cents per coinflation.com.

Now the Canadian.999 nickels are worth slightly over 9 cents each!

Buckets are full :P
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby dougefresh » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 am

Hi guys. I've been a member here for years and rarely look at the site. I've got a sentimental attraction to coins from a child. 60 y/o now. My brother and I collected silver and pennies from change, filled a lot of the Whitman folders. Bought the rest later as an adult. Still have them. Finished the Lincoln cents, still missing that 1916 D Mercury dime.

Several years I was buying bulk pennies for 1.5 x face from an old guy at the flea market. He passed away a while back. Got over $1000 face of copper cents. My wife came across them in the garage the other day and asked what was I going to do with them. I said, Save them of course. She's pretty good to me so she doesn't really mind. What I am waiting for is the US gov't to allow them to be melted and we can sell them off as bulk copper. The same thing happened to silver in the 1960s. At first you couldn't sell them for melt value. In the great silver price run up (Hunt Brothers) the coin shops were buying silver coins hand over fist from the public. I've heard from some of those guys that were in business back then and they said at first they tried to save back the numismatic stuff, but eventually after working a 12 hour day behind the counter, they just let it all go for melt.

So eventually, pennies will have to have the melt ban lifted. It's just inevitable. Inflation. When I was a kid we had five and dime stores, now we have dollar stores and the packaging keeps getting smaller and smaller. At least when I was a kid you could buy a penny gumball, now I can't think of a single thing you could actually buy with a U.S. coin.

Sorry for that long rambling story. I hope maybe that entertains some youngsters that might be reading this.
dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:54 am

I am again buying if anyone wants to unload the hoard!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:08 am

I'm working on getting my hoard sale ready. It is not as easy a process as I thought it would be. Between aches I didn't know one could get from leaning over a table for hours, to what could be early arthritis in my hands... The worst things to sort for IMHO are the rare zincs and foreign. I also really regret not having a coin counter for the counting part. And then there's the packaging and going to the Post Office.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:53 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I am again buying if anyone wants to unload the hoard!

What are you paying?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:20 pm

thecrazyone wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:I am again buying if anyone wants to unload the hoard!

What are you paying?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45209
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Silver4face » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:29 pm

Copper is spiking again. There were two spikes last year, each of which brought the price up to $4.80. This current spike has it at 4.71 a pound. We could break 4.80 tomorrow. Might we see FIVE? Current melt is 3.13 x face.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:40 pm

Silver4face wrote:Copper is spiking again. There were two spikes last year, each of which brought the price up to $4.80. This current spike has it at 4.71 a pound. We could break 4.80 tomorrow. Might we see FIVE? Current melt is 3.13 x face.

Cu is right on the verge of a breakout to all time highs...

https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=HG&p=m1
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing