Nobody wants cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Nobody wants cents

Postby hirbonzig » Fri May 07, 2021 11:08 am

Maybe it’s just me. I’ve been running into more cash transactions where I want the cents back but the cashier gives back a rounded up amount. When I ask for the pennies or exact change I sometimes get that “Why?” look. The vast majority of Americans don’t give a $&@! about the cent. Time to let old Abe finally rest and let the melting begin.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Nobody wants cents

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 07, 2021 5:57 pm

It is amazing to me as well that these still exist. If they have a zinc shortage and start making them out of plastic, I think I will blow a gasket.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm

You mean they are rounding like in Canada? Ya its dumb to have pennies circulating
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby coppernickel » Sat May 08, 2021 9:38 pm

In this area the clerks keep the "take a penny" tray seriously. They round to the dime or quarter. Only McDonald's with the automatic coin dispenser gives exact change.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:15 am

Forget the cent, nobody wants coins period.

Every time I go in or out of a gas station/convenience store around here I pick up a dime or a quarter or a nickel from the parking lot. The fuel lanes themselves are often littered with coins. 50 years ago people dumped their ashtrays, now they dump the cup holders.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby amalekidad » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 pm

So true. I find more dimes in the street than cents or nickels. Now if I can just find those $100 bills that Thogey's widow keeps dropping in the banks.....
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:44 am

our corner store in the 'hood just bought 50 rolls of cents from me. I am down to 1550 rolls currently...it is a start.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 am

coppernickel wrote:In this area the clerks keep the "take a penny" tray seriously. They round to the dime or quarter. Only McDonald's with the automatic coin dispenser gives exact change.

Whenever I see a "take a penny" tray, I remove the coppers and replace them with zincs. :D
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
coppernickel wrote:In this area the clerks keep the "take a penny" tray seriously. They round to the dime or quarter. Only McDonald's with the automatic coin dispenser gives exact change.

Whenever I see a "take a penny" tray, I remove the coppers and replace them with zincs. :D

Excellent idea.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:30 am

Let's see, the government stopped making half cents in 1857. The penny was the next lowest denomination. Now, 164 years later with all the inflation we've had, and we still have the same smallest denomination that we had BEFORE the Civil War. Amazing.

Also, Canada got rid of their penny in 2012. I haven't heard people complain about that. Nine full years later and we Americans can't take a hint from those north of the border.

I don't mean for this to evolve into a political debate, but we have a bit of turmoil going on in this country and the world right now. If I were an advisor to Joe Biden, I'd strongly recommend getting rid of the penny as a bit of a diversion tactic. It should have been done many presidents ago so I can blame both parties for doing nothing so far.

Recyclersteve

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 am

The mint should discontinue the cent from circulation and let it live on in mint and proof sets. They could bring back sets with special wheat and Indian Head designs-in glorious 95% copper of course!!
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: I'd strongly recommend getting rid of the penny as a bit of a diversion tactic. .

lol. I dont think it would divert from much. 99% wouldnt care at all, unless they couldnt turn in their change dish at home if they even have one.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:02 pm

I will take every penny that noone wants. PM me for my mailing address :)

I find them in trash, on the street, all over. They all add up, and as long as they have a value, I'll take 'em!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:05 pm

This past Monday is the second time my bank has called me and asked for pennies...I took in 120 rolls. They said the FED is not distributing coin.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:12 am

fasteddy wrote:This past Monday is the second time my bank has called me and asked for pennies...I took in 120 rolls. They said the FED is not distributing coin.

Can I assume that the 120 rolls were pure junk? Aka Zincolns?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am

fasteddy wrote:This past Monday is the second time my bank has called me and asked for pennies...I took in 120 rolls. They said the FED is not distributing coin.

Eddy,
Perhaps you could suggest to your bank that they order a bunch of these if they want to get more pennies.
https://catalog.usmint.gov/silver-proof ... ny&start=1

Then you could help them out with all the other coins that come in the set.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 am

Interesting. Is it a well known big bank or a small one?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing