Is there still a coin shortage?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Is there still a coin shortage?

Postby Treetop » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 am

Supposedly the shortage is based on people not emptying their change jars because they dont want to touch physical dollars during a pandemic. But if those people arent using cash they arent storing up new change to take out of circulation, only those still using change as normal would have a chance to do so. So for me it comes off likely its just more pressure towards a cashless society. The explanations just dont add up.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Treetop wrote:Supposedly the shortage is based on people not emptying their change jars because they dont want to touch physical dollars during a pandemic. But if those people arent using cash they arent storing up new change to take out of circulation, only those still using change as normal would have a chance to do so. So for me it comes off likely its just more pressure towards a cashless society. The explanations just dont add up.

A teller at my credit union told me today that it's because the people that work at the place that rolls the coins are very short staffed. I've heard so many different reasons why there is a change shortage. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I believe it's because TPTB are gearing ppl up for a cashless society.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Procured more nickels and pennies today from my CU. $40 nickels and $20 in pennies (yielded about 20% copper). This one particular branch is charging a premium of $0.15 cents PER ROLL for ppl who walk up to the teller booth and ask for coin rolls. Today I ordered a few more boxes of nickels and pennies at $7 each. Sorting is getting expensive.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Treetop wrote:Supposedly the shortage is based on people not emptying their change jars because they dont want to touch physical dollars during a pandemic. But if those people arent using cash they arent storing up new change to take out of circulation, only those still using change as normal would have a chance to do so. So for me it comes off likely its just more pressure towards a cashless society. The explanations just dont add up.

A teller at my credit union told me today that it's because the people that work at the place that rolls the coins are very short staffed. I've heard so many different reasons why there is a change shortage. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I believe it's because TPTB are gearing ppl up for a cashless society.

That is feasible anyway. The bit Ive read on it just said what I wrote above though.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:45 pm

I did a federal depository tour this past summer...the rolling of coin is automated....the stacking of the coin boxes is automated...there is an attendant during the process but they didn't look like they did much but press the start button to get it all rolling(pun intended) and to keep the box feeder fed.

In the warehouse I saw millions of $ worth of coin all boxed up ready to go. Coin shortage?...i call bull.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 pm

fasteddy wrote:I did a federal depository tour this past summer...the rolling of coin is automated....the stacking of the coin boxes is automated...there is an attendant during the process but they didn't look like they did much but press the start button to get it all rolling(pun intended) and to keep the box feeder fed.

In the warehouse I saw millions of $ worth of coin all boxed up ready to go. Coin shortage?...i call bull

Exactly... and after laughing that's precisely what I told her, it all automated. She seems very down to earth and honest, so I don't think she's lying deliberately, she's simply telling me what her branch manager told her.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:41 pm

In eastern CT local businesses are having trouble getting dimes and quarters.

Also, I hit the local Coinstar return weekly or biweekly and I have only gotten coins from it once so far this year.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Today I received an email from another one of my credit union branches telling me that they now are charging for penny and nickel rolls. $0.15 cents per roll. I'm going to stick to ordering boxes from now on, mostly nickels.

I'm also soliciting friends and family members for any change jars they may have.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:37 pm

In the past week I have been able to get a box of nickels from from three different branches of my bank. Each time I made it appear to be an incidental part of a bigger transaction. Only one branch hesitated. These were all in business areas.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 am

There should be a demand for pennies- COPPER! Now 3x face as mentioned in another post. Btw, a bank told me the same thing today : quarters and pennies were low
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 am

Again, some banks are "participating" in the coin shortage and some are not. I recently hit a couple of banks with lots of pennies.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Silver4face wrote:There should be a demand for pennies- COPPER! Now 3x face as mentioned in another post. Btw, a bank told me the same thing today : quarters and pennies were low

The majority of the penny boxes I've gotten recently contain +90% zincs. I still keep them though, the zincs are very close to face value now. I have several 5gal buckets full of them.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:17 pm

Silver4face wrote:Again, some banks are "participating" in the coin shortage and some are not. I recently hit a couple of banks with lots of pennies.

I have not seen any signs in my CU or local stores saying "coin shortage" anymore. There are still plenty of self-serve checkout machines that are still taking cash.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:05 am

I can not participate in this thread because I still have a couple thousand dollars in unsorted cents I still have not gone through. So I have not asked my banks recently. I know I know just keep hoarding, but I just can't seem to... :oops:
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:45 am

willy13 wrote:I can not participate in this thread because I still have a couple thousand dollars in unsorted cents I still have not gone through. So I have not asked my banks recently. I know I know just keep hoarding, but I just can't seem to... :oops:

Lucky guy. That would keep me busy/entertained for weeks! :)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Mauserman » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:33 pm

My local bank is still not giving me coins in any large size. :|
Mauserman

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am

Mauserman wrote:My local bank is still not giving me coins in any large size. :|

Banks suck. Go to a local credit union. Before you open the account, ask them were they stand on coins rolls and ordering boxes. I've established contact people at several branches of my CU, they're more than happy to order boxes for me anytime I want. I don't mind paying the extra charge of $7 per box, pennies or nickels.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:00 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Mauserman wrote:My local bank is still not giving me coins in any large size. :|

Banks suck. Go to a local credit union. Before you open the account, ask them were they stand on coins rolls and ordering boxes. I've established contact people at several branches of my CU, they're more than happy to order boxes for me anytime I want. I don't mind paying the extra charge of $7 per box, pennies or nickels.

Not all banks suck. I have a few good ones in my area. However, your advice on credit unions is excellent and hopefully people will do what u suggest. Also, if you are truly interested in hoarding large quantities, you need to go to BOTH banks and credit unions.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:32 pm

Silver4face wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Not all banks suck. I have a few good ones in my area. However, your advice on credit unions is excellent and hopefully people will do what u suggest. Also, if you are truly interested in hoarding large quantities, you need to go to BOTH banks and credit unions.

Glad you have some good ones near you, but my personal experience with banks I've had accounts with always gave me some type of pushback when I requested coin boxes. I could get a few rolls, but that's it. They also continue to push the "coin shortage" narrative. My credit union tellers never said there was a coin shortage, not even the branch managers.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing