Is there still a coin shortage?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Is there still a coin shortage?

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:01 pm

coppernickel wrote:
I remember the switch of coins in 1982. I bought one roll of brand new pennies, and held on to it for about ten years. Then I gave up and spent it. Since RealCent started, I have wondered if it was a copper or zinc roll that I had.
"

I hope it was not a roll of copper 1982-D small dates! :o
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:14 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
thecrazyone wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: Now I am keeping ALL the coins I get, even the zinc pennies. You guys should be doing the same.

Can you elaborate on why you are doing this? Do you think that a time will come when people/banks will want to buy your coins from you? Not being smart at all, just trying to follow the logic and intent.

Why is he doing this? No offense to anyone meant, but I believe having the word “Hoarder” in your name might have something to do with it.

1. Free money :mrgreen:

and...

2. Real money. This forum is called "REALcent". ;)

Why do certain people pump stocks or cryptos on a metals/coin forum?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:36 pm

This isnt really a copper or change story but this seemed like the best place to put it. Sorry if I offend anyone. anyway I was buying a few bucks worth of things at a walgrens and had requested 20 cashback. asked the cashier for 5 ones in the cash back. She looked confused like she had no idea how to give 5 ones back while cashing out a 20. She caled someone over and they had a little conference I couldnt listen to and alerted me that they had no way to do such a thing. while they looked at me as if I had demanded they refine uranium.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 pm

My wife told me this was so silly it sounds made up. lol. I promise I wouldnt make up something so stupid though. Whatever, such is life.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:34 pm

$0.0092652 is the melt value for the zinc cent on October 14, 2021.

The metal content is almost worth the face value. :shh: :D 8-)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:16 am

$0.0099052 is the melt value for the zinc cent on October 15, 2021.

Oh my! :clap: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:$0.0099052 is the melt value for the zinc cent on October 15, 2021.

Ya know it's coming. But I think the premium needs to be 30-50% above melt in order for scrapping to be worthwhile, so viable melting isn't there yet with zincolns. But hey, save them for that time; with inflation on the rise, it might not be long now.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 am

68Camaro wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:$0.0099052 is the melt value for the zinc cent on October 15, 2021.

Ya know it's coming. But I think the premium needs to be 30-50% above melt in order for scrapping to be worthwhile, so viable melting isn't there yet with zincolns. But hey, save them for that time; with inflation on the rise, it might not be long now.

The reason I ended up on this forum was how hilariously cool I found it to collect copper penny bullion. Granted it takes some work but financially there isnt a downside besides your time. while I got blocked locally from getting to much coin way back the times Im able to do it I never get rid of the zinc though. Of course this day was coming. lol. Our culture is on a silly track. Probably have to fall before we rise again. Like the coppers did way back and the zincolns are rising now. lol. Anyway, take cares brothers and sisters and neighbors. Our story is far from over. Just like our pennies are far from their peak compared to our paper dollars. Even the zincolns will cross the finish line and be a viable store of wealth before we are done.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:45 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Treetop wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

The reason I ended up on this forum was how hilariously cool I found it to collect copper penny bullion. Granted it takes some work but financially there isnt a downside besides your time. while I got blocked locally from getting to much coin way back the times Im able to do it I never get rid of the zinc though. Of course this day was coming. lol. Our culture is on a silly track. Probably have to fall before we rise again. Like the coppers did way back and the zincolns are rising now. lol. Anyway, take cares brothers and sisters and neighbors. Our story is far from over. Just like our pennies are far from their peak compared to our paper dollars. Even the zincolns will cross the finish line and be a viable store of wealth before we are done.

I have "skunk" boxes of unopened zinc shields from 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16. Glad I kept those.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 am

Treetop wrote:My wife told me this was so silly it sounds made up. lol. I promise I wouldnt make up something so stupid though. Whatever, such is life.

I believe people are that stupid. I once had a cashier at McDonalds tell me they don't sell cheeseburgers. I asked him to confirm that with his manager, and she confirmed that they do not sell cheeseburgers. :roll:
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 pm

Today I stopped by a WF bank branch and asked for two rolls of nickels and two rolls of pennies. The teller agreed and reached into her drawer. At this point the branch manager jumped up from her desk and yelled out. Her shriek was enough that everyone stopped. The manager spoke very loudly that there is a coin shortage and she cannot allow anyone to get coins by the roll.

I thought it was way over the top, but we carry on.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:43 am

coppernickel wrote:Today I stopped by a WF bank branch and asked for two rolls of nickels and two rolls of pennies. The teller agreed and reached into her drawer. At this point the branch manager jumped up from her desk and yelled out. Her shriek was enough that everyone stopped. The manager spoke very loudly that there is a coin shortage and she cannot allow anyone to get coins by the roll.

I thought it was way over the top, but we carry on.

These micro managing tin-pot dictator types are ridiculous, but they are fun to laugh at. I've encountered histrionics like this in the past, which is the main reason why I don't do business with regular banks anymore.

Yesterday I visited 4 different branches of my credit union and ALL tellers gave me the coins I requested, no problems. They restricted me on the pennies though, only $5-15. Nickels were no problem. I ordered a few boxes of pennies while I was there, they charge $7 for each box ordered.

I sorted $25 in pennies yesterday, only about 15% were copper. Billions more shields out there now, diluting the coppers. :thumbdown:

I visited my local CVS... new signs posted for 'exact change' only. My local Home Depot, Lowes and Chipotle have been doing the same thing for the last 8 months or so.

Get as much as possible before it's all gone. They're going to force us to go all digital.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm

$7 for each box ordered... is this for any denomination of coin by the box?
hobo finds

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:43 pm

hobo finds wrote:$7 for each box ordered... is this for any denomination of coin by the box?

Yes. I made sure to ask the branch manager that.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:07 pm

You would have to find more than one 90 pct or two 40 pct halves to come out ahead on a box of halves (not counting your time). :roll:
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:49 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:You would have to find more than one 90 pct or two 40 pct halves to come out ahead on a box of halves (not counting your time). :roll:

I stopped doing halves many years ago.

I keep ALL my nickels. I unroll and search them to remove all the 30's, 40's, 50's and of course the war nickels.

Pennies are another story. I occasionally find a box that yields 20% copper, but my average is more like 10-15%. I am still buying $50-100FV bags of pennies from my LCS guy, he's had in storage for many years and just wants to get rid of them. Some zinc in there, but mostly coppers and wheaties. I've been hand sorting those... it's killing me! My Ryedale will be back up and running in a few days.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:27 pm

Ask if they have a box of large dollars and pay the $7.00. :thumbup:
hobo finds

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm

hobo finds wrote:Ask if they have a box of large dollars and pay the $7.00. :thumbup:

Hadn't thought of that.

The metal value of the clad Ike's are only about 0.25 cents. :(
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:10 pm

One 40% silver ike and you would have your $7 covered.
hobo finds

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm

What I find interesting is we're supposedly coming out of the pandemic, and just now I'm seeing stores like HD shut off their cash self checkouts.. Why now??
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:38 pm

thecrazyone wrote:What I find interesting is we're supposedly coming out of the pandemic, and just now I'm seeing stores like HD shut off their cash self checkouts.. Why now??

IMO, it's all part of the plan. Make believe there's a change shortage to get everyone to stop using cash. When we're are relegated to using credit/debit cards it will be much easier for the masses to accept digital Fedcoins. No more cash anonymity. :evil:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:04 am

I went to cash in a few lottery tickets there was a woman at the counter buying money orders took a long time to get them. In front of me a young woman I would say 20 years old she has a $10 bill in her hand I knew she was looking for quarters. She finally gets to the counter and the cleark says I could get in trouble selling you these quarters as the national coin shortage. The young girl said she was not aware of the coun shortage so could she get 2 rolls of quarters then. The cleark took her $20 and gave out 2 rolls of quarters. Lol
hobo finds

Postby Silver4face » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:44 pm

As I said before, there really is no coin shortage as the mint continues to produce lots of 2021 coins. I go to MANY banks and some have a lot more coin than others. A true shortage would mean that ALL banks would be severely limited. However, there may actually be a "shortage" in the future if govt forces us into a computerized cashless society. Therefore if anyone reading this has any interest in any type of coins, they should starting "hunting" NOW!!!!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:12 am

Silver4face wrote:As I said before, there really is no coin shortage as the mint continues to produce lots of 2021 coins. I go to MANY banks and some have a lot more coin than others. A true shortage would mean that ALL banks would be severely limited. However, there may actually be a "shortage" in the future if govt forces us into a computerized cashless society. Therefore if anyone reading this has any interest in any type of coins, they should starting "hunting" NOW!!!!

True. However, I'm getting skunked on pennies a lot more than I used to. Even when I don't get a skunked, I'm only culling about 10% copper (sometimes less), which sucks. My LCS guy has been a much better source of copper, even though he charges me a 25% premium over FV on them, I know they're ALL copper. I don't mind paying it.

These days hoarding nickels yields the best ROI for your time and effort. I just filled up another 5 gal bucket full of them. Must visit Lowe's again today for more buckets, then off to different credit union branch for more nickels. ;)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing