Funny Thing About Canadian Coins in U.S. Coin Rolls

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Funny Thing About Canadian Coins in U.S. Coin Rolls

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:34 am

I guess I am easily amused at times, but it is funny thinking about those who try to sneak copper Canadian cents into U.S. penny rolls. Ditto for .999 Canadian nickels. Of course the real gem is finding 80% silver dimes and quarters in rolls.

I envision someone who thinks they are getting away with something and gets outsmarted in the end.

Just goes to show- CRIME DOESN’T PAY!!!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Funny Thing About Canadian Coins in U.S. Coin Rolls

Postby cwgii » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm

But just try to put a modern canauck in a roll that steel will get you in Trouble
cwgii

Re: Funny Thing About Canadian Coins in U.S. Coin Rolls

Postby Morsecode » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm

The only ones knowingly sneaking Canadian steel into rolls are the banks. Your average Joe is clueless about coinage, especially when it comes to quarters.

Thanks to a greedy mint we now have over 100 different designs on the twenty-five cent piece just in the last 22 years. You think Joe is gonna differentiate between a moose and a national park scene? Heck, most of them wouldn't notice the difference between George and Elizabeth on the obverse. (Well, they do have the same hair)

It's a good deal for the banks though. They get to peddle what they never have to redeem. One moose per roll nets them a 2.5% profit. If you bring the offending quarter back to them 5 minutes later they will tell you to pound sand. I buy a couple rolls per week for laundry, car washes...so I see it pretty regularly.

On the other hand, I did get a Sacagawea from the car wash change machine last month :mrgreen:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing