Copper Cent Hoard End Game?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper Cent Hoard End Game?

Postby Klark Cent » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Would anyone like to share the plan for their copper cent hoard?

I often fantasize about one day sorting my hoard by year/mintmark/condition, then searching each piece for varieties and errors and selling it off in rolls to maximize my return, but I doubt it will ever make sense to examine every coin, since I have about $3,500 face value (and humans don't live 200 years). I'm 52 now.

I don't want to leave my hoard to my wife or daughter. They have no interest in coins. It would just be a burden.

I love my hoard, but I can't yet envision an elegant end game. I'm not in a big hurry but I think about it a lot.

Any thoughts?
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Copper Cent Hoard End Game?

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Hi there!

I think about this too. Im more worried about the cent being retired as a circulating currency before I think Ill reach my goals. Ill be in disbelief if the cent makes it to 2030. Ive sold a lot of CTU's over the last 15 years and I think I want to start sorting to hoard- the only caveat is that now coins are a hassle to get from banks by me- dunno how it is by you fellas?

Id be happy with $2000 face in copper cents to sit on for armageddon :) just gotta get there in time!

Wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Gipper1985 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:35 am

My kids have shown an interest so passing down my collection is in the plan right now. Every once and a while I pull out an unsorted bank box of cents that I packed away for just this purpose. We go through it and they fill up their books and help me separate the copper.

I'm more worried about what I am going to do about my football card collection. The kids have no interest. I have slowly started to sell things. I am only in my forties, but I think this process will take a long time.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:51 am

When we have the Great Reset, which could be by the end of 2021, your copper pennies will be much more valuable.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am

Sometimes you should take some profit...I dropped 200k cents at the Portland Mint this past summer when I was traveling to Seattle from Texas for my vacation...and my wife and I got a personal tour...amazing...I recommend it.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:19 am

One thing some might consider is to do a barter. If you have a neighbor who is a collector, offer to pay him in copper cents for mowing your lawn or trimming hedges. There is a cautionary note here. If he has a big mouth, you don't want him telling the world your place looks like Fort Knox inside.

I too am trying to strategize my disposition of copper holdings, even though it could be 10-20 years before I really do anything. Nonetheless, I am interested in following this thread.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:21 pm

My end game? I see three scenarios;

First, I want to have some metal money for trading in the economic collapse. The copper cents and nickels are simply the small change for an economy reboot. Another part of this plan is to run a "general store." In my community we have several prepper types. One raises animals, goats, chickens, donkeys, etc. We have cattle ranchers, doctors, nurses, engineers, several veterans, and many garden. I am no gardener. My efforts have gone to be the trade center.

Second, if nothing happens, I cash them in or sell them piece meal.

Third, an archeologist of the future finds a "hoard of copper" from the 21st century and it becomes a museum center piece. I'm ok if they do get "preserved" because I don't need them.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:01 am

fasteddy wrote:Sometimes you should take some profit...I dropped 200k cents at the Portland Mint this past summer when I was traveling to Seattle from Texas for my vacation...and my wife and I got a personal tour...amazing...I recommend it.

it was nice to see you!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing