Mini Copper Cent Windfall Today

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Mini Copper Cent Windfall Today

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:04 am

I decided to stop by a bank I used to frequent and see if they had any halves. It was a few minutes before closing and myself and another man ahead of me were in line.

I saw that he had a blue bucket from Lowe's that had a bunch of rolls of pennies inside. I asked if he was a collector. He said no, that the coins came from his mom. They were all pennies. He said they were all from the 1960's and 1970's. A few of them had markings on them such as 1974-P. Those which were marked were dated 1993 and initialed by the former owner.

We took them out of the bucket and counted them. $68 face value. I broke open a single roll to quality check it. It looked just fine! I said I'd take all of them and give him cash.

He seemed like an honest enough person and said he even contacted a dealer or two and was insulted by what they offered him. I didn't ask what they offered as the bank was trying to close. I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible!

Home now and the first 6 rolls or so are indeed all copper. Also, they each have exactly 50 coins. No foreign coins or mutilated coins. So this was likely a very conscientious collector who had them before me.

$68.00 paid for $68.00 face value in all copper cents. That just made my day!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Mini Copper Cent Windfall Today

Postby fasteddy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:17 am

So-wheat...well no wheats but u get what I mean...

...this one time...i was picking up bags at a FCU and a young couple was dumping pennies in the Cummins Jet Sort. I casually walk over and commented about the quantity of pennies...there were many metal coffee cans full...she said they were her father-in-laws pennies who had recently passed....she also said who collects this many pennies? as they cashed out and left the FCU the bank teller sold the bags of mostly copper cents they had just dumped...and i still have the metal coffee cans from the trash can. WIN :mrgreen:

these cu pickups like this is always fun.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: Mini Copper Cent Windfall Today

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Very nice haul.

I felt the same way when my LCS guy sold me $200FV copper pennies for 50% over FV. About 25% of them were wheaties and some rarer dates too.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing