SKUNKED!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

SKUNKED!

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Good news:
My Ryedale is cleaned up and running perfectly! :thumbup:

Bad news:
Today I got 2 boxes of pennies from my credit union. The kind with holes and you can see the top of the rolls. All I saw was zincs on top... bad sign. Got them home and opened about 5 rolls... ALL zincs, not new zincs, but old beat up ones. Opened the other box and examined both ends of the rolls... all zinc. Not even going to unroll any of those.

Could whoever is rolling these pennies for banks have a copper culling operation on a MUCH larger scale? I wouldn't doubt it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: SKUNKED!

Postby willy13 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:15 pm

Ouch!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Weigh each roll before opening - you'll save some time.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:34 pm

68Camaro wrote:Weigh each roll before opening - you'll save some time.

Great idea. :thumbup:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:43 am

I think you sell yourself short. Copper is a small thing. It can add up, but is still a small thing. Errors and varieties, even on newer cents, can be quite valuable to collectors. Die cracks being just one thing that can help your bottom line.

A few years ago I was the recipient of a box of 2018 nickels. As I examined them, disappointed that there were no older coins, I noticed that several had the same die crack. When done with that box of two thousand coins, I had over fifty showing the same crack, but is slightly different states of progression.

After putting them in order from least to greatest, I admired the collection for a few months before putting the info out to those who might be interested. Having a database of over 5000 collectors, that was a fun exercise.

A few weeks later, I sold the lot for just under $700.

Just one example of how errors can be worth far more than copper.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:14 pm

galenrog wrote:I think you sell yourself short. Copper is a small thing. It can add up, but is still a small thing. Errors and varieties, even on newer cents, can be quite valuable to collectors. Die cracks being just one thing that can help your bottom line.

A few years ago I was the recipient of a box of 2018 nickels. As I examined them, disappointed that there were no older coins, I noticed that several had the same die crack. When done with that box of two thousand coins, I had over fifty showing the same crack, but is slightly different states of progression.

After putting them in order from least to greatest, I admired the collection for a few months before putting the info out to those who might be interested. Having a database of over 5000 collectors, that was a fun exercise.

A few weeks later, I sold the lot for just under $700.

Just one example of how errors can be worth far more than copper.

Time for more coffee.

I agree that I sell myself short. The copper/zinc sorting is easy with the Ryedale, however critically examining each coin takes a lot of time. The eye, neck and back strain can be brutal for older hoarders like me. I need 3x reading glasses just to see the date. I've woken up plenty of times with major neck pain, not fun.

Right now I have two full 5 gal buckets of zincs. I'm not dumping or getting rid of any of them. IMO, soon the mints will stop producing pennies (i.e. Canada), then nickels, then all change.

I've been examining coins/change since the late 70's. I found a few rare errors since then. A found a 1972 double-die 20 years ago, I put it somewhere for safe keeping, but I cannot remember where that 'safe' spot is. :oops: I recently found a reverse 1909 die cap error... I wonder what that thing is worth?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Yes, indeed. Sorting copper from zinc with a Ryedale is easy, and relatively fast. It is not, however, highly profitable unless you are sorting millions of coins a month and have a ready market for the coppers.

Since I am not a collector or a copper stacker, I must have a ready market for every coin that comes in. From buckets full of coppers, to every error and variety easily identified, I have established a list of potential buyers. Unless your goal is it stack coppers, I would think that you should, too.

Whether you consider my advice, or not, I wish you well.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing