$5 per pound copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

$5 per pound copper

Postby coppernickel » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:06 pm

I've been watching the price of copper climb like "the little engine that could."

When do you think it will pass $5 per pound?

That would be above the all-time high.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: $5 per pound copper

Postby coppernickel » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:06 pm

My guess is April 1, 2022.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:03 pm

March 10th
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:47 am

March 7th
I’m thinking this forum is about to get busy again. Miss the good ol days.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:33 pm

March 15
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby willy13 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:06 am

For a minute it got close this morning according to KITCO.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:20 pm

I guessed copper would jump. Nickel is the more interesting story.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aristobolus » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:12 pm

I'm back after years of not sorting! Kids are up in age, and I'm ready to beg for boxes and bags from banks. The window is closing. Have fun while you can!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:40 pm

aristobolus wrote:I'm back after years of not sorting! Kids are up in age, and I'm ready to beg for boxes and bags from banks. The window is closing. Have fun while you can!

I KNEW IT! I just recently told people that these prices would bring people (sorters) out of the woodwork! Anyway, welcome back and good luck to you as well.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:44 am

aristobolus wrote:I'm back after years of not sorting! Kids are up in age, and I'm ready to beg for boxes and bags from banks. The window is closing. Have fun while you can!

Billions and billions more minted zincs you have to sort through now - ugh.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:51 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Billions and billions more minted zincs you have to sort through now - ugh.

However, since we’re not dumping the zincs any longer, we can take our time sorting for the copper treasure.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:04 am

How long till we start hoarding Zinolns? Conflation has them over 1 cent melt currently.

https://www.coinflation.com/coins/1982-2007-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:38 am

Slaphot wrote:How long till we start hoarding Zinolns? Conflation has them over 1 cent melt currently.

https://www.coinflation.com/coins/1982-2007-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html

I started early last year.

Viva Gresham!
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Viva Gresham!

From Wikipedia:
Gresham was not the first to state the law which took his name. The phenomenon had been noted by Aristophanes in his play The Frogs, which dates from around the end of the 5th century BC. The referenced passage from The Frogs is as follows (usually dated at 405 BC):[5]

It has often struck our notice that the course our city runs
Is the same towards men and money. She has true and worthy sons:
She has good and ancient silver, she has good and recent gold.
These are coins untouched with alloys; everywhere their fame is told;
Not all Hellas holds their equal, not all Barbary far and near.
Gold or silver, each well minted, tested each and ringing clear.
Yet, we never use them! Others always pass from hand to hand.
Sorry brass just struck last week and branded with a wretched brand.
So with men we know for upright, blameless lives and noble names.
Trained in music and palaestra, freemen's choirs and freemen's games,
These we spurn for men of brass...
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:03 am

This was a hot topic in early March, but then it quickly stopped because copper leveled off and now has been trending downwards. At 4.45 a pound, we are the furthest away from $5 per pound since December or January. Unfortunately, all of the predictions in this thread were way off. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has new predictions on this.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:22 pm

Silver4face wrote:This was a hot topic in early March, but then it quickly stopped because copper leveled off and now has been trending downwards. At 4.45 a pound, we are the furthest away from $5 per pound since December or January. Unfortunately, all of the predictions in this thread were way off. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has new predictions on this.

Hoarding Cu pennies and Ni is a l-o-n-g term investment. I've ridden it up and down and up again. Never sold any of it. Cu could possibly fall back to $1-2 dollar level. The main thing you have to take into consideration is how long will you live, because TPTB can keep this shit-show going for a very long time. I imagine some older hoarders may die with their hoards.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby realhumancopper » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:36 am

In order not to "die with my hoard" , I paid a young man to take them to the Bank. I was going to pay him 10% to do the job. He was able to sell them for 10% over face, so I got my money back. Was over a ton of pennies. I'm only out the cost of 4 top of the line Ryedale's, A few hundred gallons of gas, and hundreds of hours thinking I was really on to something--while I was sorting.
I think that anyone who believes that the govt. will simply "scrap" the penny is not thinking clearly. They might retire the penny, but there will be no option to turn them in for the price of copper, minus fees of course.
Maybe if a person has a 50 year or more time frame, and can believe the US will find themselves in the position that Russia and China (and others) did, maybe the pennies will get get stamped with a "3" or something, and recirculate as being a 3 cent piece. Will be interesting to see. I won't see it. hal
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:22 am

Why would anyone want to 'scrap pennies'? Pennies are the only way 'the average Joe' can easily invest in copper! Pennies will eventually carry a premium just like 90% and 40% finally has. jmho
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 am

realhumancopper wrote:I think that anyone who believes that the govt. will simply "scrap" the penny is not thinking clearly. They might retire the penny, but there will be no option to turn them in for the price of copper, minus fees of course.

If the government retires the penny, then they'll also lift the prohibition on melting pennies. And if that happens, then people will be able to sell copper pennies at scrapyards, probably for something like 85%-90% of spot price (In addition to being composed of 2.5% zinc, pennies are also dirty, unlike "bare bright" copper).
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:40 pm

Catfish4u wrote:Why would anyone want to 'scrap pennies'? Pennies are the only way 'the average Joe' can easily invest in copper! Pennies will eventually carry a premium just like 90% and 40% finally has. jmho

To answer your question, the purpose of scrapping pennies is for profit. As for carrying a premium, that would be very nice, BUT, how many years or even decades will that take to happen?
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing