Zinc cents worth more than face

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Zinc cents worth more than face

Postby slvrbck » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:54 am

Guess it’s time to stop dumping the zincolns.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Re: Zinc cents worth more than face

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 am

That’s the decision, late as usual, that I came to.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:49 am

I was preparing for inflation way before covid and this Ukraine/Russia conflict. I've been saving zincolns for the last 2 years. All the base/industrial metals and commodities will go higher, probably much higher.

Super-inflation is just starting. Make sure you have food preps fully stocked, weapons and a decent supply of ammo. It could get really bad out there. In a hyperinflation/SHTF scenario, ammo will be worth MUCH more than PMs. Buy a few cases of the common calibers right now while it's still readily available... you won't regret it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:52 pm

Zinc went up again today. Now $1.87 a pound. Might we see $2.00 per pound?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:06 am

Silver4face wrote:Zinc went up again today. Now $1.87 a pound. Might we see $2.00 per pound?

Zinc hit $2.13 over night and came back down. I have a feeling that base metals will be manipulated from now on like silver is. The LME froze nickel trading last night... it's 6am now and trading still hasn't resumed.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:45 pm

Zinc dropped below face last week, but is now back over face. Currently at 1.01× face. I take most of them back, BUT I have saved some too in the form of Loomis rolls.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:21 pm

I just can't bring myself to "invest" in anything related to zinc. At least half or more of the zincs I intercept have signs of a real tough circulation. This includes dark blotches, oxidation, heavy pitting and just not even pleasant to look at. Perhaps Canada did have it right when they stopped minting the cent in 2012. Time will be the judge and jury on this topic.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:03 am

I was going to keep them, but changed my mind and dumped all my loose ones over the last 3 months. Close to $2000 worth. I'll probably regret it eventually. I have many new unopened zinc boxes from many different years... I'm keeping those.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:36 pm

Rerolland trade them out at my chase.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:02 am

Canada dropped zinc and then the steel replacements. No one complained in Canada and we are just fine.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:38 am

JadeDragon wrote:Canada dropped zinc and then the steel replacements. No one complained in Canada and we are just fine.

Except when they freeze your bank accounts like they did for supporting truckers.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:18 am

the “truckers” were a small minority of people who decided to block roads, terrorize downtown Ottawa and generally act like morons. They coopted our lovely flag as a symbol of their anarchy too, which infuriated true patriot Canadians. I personally called the police on some of them who where endangering children - standing with them on an active freeway off ramp. They even hit my car with a flagpole.

None of that illegal behavior had anything to do with dropping the penny ten years ago in May 2012.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:03 pm

JadeDragon wrote:the “truckers” were a small minority of people who decided to block roads, terrorize downtown Ottawa and generally act like morons. They coopted our lovely flag as a symbol of their anarchy too, which infuriated true patriot Canadians. I personally called the police on some of them who where endangering children - standing with them on an active freeway off ramp. They even hit my car with a flagpole.

None of that illegal behavior had anything to do with dropping the penny ten years ago in May 2012.

Read it again... your beloved government FROZE peoples bank accounts for sending a $20 donation to the truckers.

You should be much more concerned about that than a few truckers blocking roads.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:26 pm

IMHO zinc isn’t worth saving, and may not be for at least five years. I have lots of copper pennies and am frankly disappointed at how hard it is to sell them for anywhere near melt. I don’t have the patience to package them up and ship them out of state.

Also consider the comment made above about how many ugly zincs there are out there.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:IMHO zinc isn’t worth saving, and may not be for at least five years. I have lots of copper pennies and am frankly disappointed at how hard it is to sell them for anywhere near melt. I don’t have the patience to package them up and ship them out of state.

Also consider the comment made above about how many ugly zincs there are out there.

For the most part, I agree with you. However, it doesn't hurt to have a few boxes of LOOMIS rolls in your portfolio. Loomis rolls contain both zinc and copper. You can "sandbag". on when you open them. For example, u might find a good buyer 3-5 years from now and then BOOM - you have the boxes right there ready to process.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:35 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:the “truckers” were a small minority of people who decided to block roads, terrorize downtown Ottawa and generally act like morons. They coopted our lovely flag as a symbol of their anarchy too, which infuriated true patriot Canadians. I personally called the police on some of them who where endangering children - standing with them on an active freeway off ramp. They even hit my car with a flagpole.

Read it again... your beloved government FROZE peoples bank accounts for sending a $20 donation to the truckers.

You should be much more concerned about that than a few truckers blocking roads.

False. A small number of accts of the organizers were frozen. Some of these organizers are still in jail. Support was never strong for the protestors but a large majority of Canadians supported sending in the military to or police to shut them down.

There is a lot of actual facts available. Here is a good survey to start with. https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/02/12/ ... -poll/amp/
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:44 pm

Facts:

“Isabelle Jacques, assistant deputy minister of finance, told a committee of MPs that up to 210 bank accounts holding about $7.8 million were frozen under the financial measures contained in the Emergencies Act.”

In a statement released Monday, the RCMP said it only provided banks with the names of convoy organizers and the owners of trucks who had refused to leave the protest area. The RCMP said it did not release an exhaustive list of every donation made.

"At no time did we provide a list of donors to financial institutions," the statement said.

Small donors unlikely to be affected: official

Jacques said that the financial measures in the Emergencies Act came into force on Feb. 15 and were specifically designed to apply enough financial pressure to convince protest organizers and participants to go home.

"Based on the knowledge that I have, I think it would be unlikely that someone who gave … $20 three weeks ago, or even $20 post Feb. 15, that they would have been captured by a freeze," she said.

"It's not impossible in view of the order, but in view of the exchange of information and the focused approach that was taken to stop the illegal funding of these activities, it would appear to be unlikely that this occurred, but not impossible."

She said the measures should not affect anyone who provided financial support to the convoy before Feb. 15. Jacques said that anyone who saw their account frozen and who subsequently left the blockade area should expect to see the account unfrozen in the coming days.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6360769

What the protesters did manage to do indirectly was screw up a million dollar real estate loan I had a almost approved. The credit union declined the loan at the highest level because we were working with a real estate crowd funding portal. The CU cited the trucker convoy as the reason for killing the deal at the last moment. These losers damaged so many Canadians just trying to do business, cross the border, live in Ottawa or generally earn a living.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:07 am

Just as Canadians understandably do not always understand the sentiments of the American public from a distance, so too it is difficult for Americans to correctly gage Canadian public sentiments. I've noticed that in brief exchanges with another Canadian friend. That said, I believe it is correct to say that Canadians are far more accepting of direction from a federal center of power as well as censorship of dissent (though the US has rapidly started to catch up and may have surpassed). I believe the difference in reaction comes from the historical difference in manner of governance - the US with a distinctive Constitutional Republic and (in concept) decentralized power which is supposed to be in the hands of the people. (Of course powers that don't like that have been working in the US for decades to marginalize and destroy the system as designed and replace it with a European style permanent central bureaucracy with the powers of the States reduced and forced to be strongly subordinate to the Federalists.) So even with the miseducation of several recent generations there is still a strong minority (if not a bare majority) of Americans who believe the power of government lies with them, not the bureaucrats.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 am

JadeDragon wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

False. A small number of accts of the organizers were frozen. Some of these organizers are still in jail. Support was never strong for the protestors but a large majority of Canadians supported sending in the military to or police to shut them down.

There is a lot of actual facts available. Here is a good survey to start with. https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/02/12/ ... -poll/amp/

It's not false. That survey is government propaganda, like all MSM in Canada. Democracy was never "threatened".. that is the BS they always spew when citizens protest for freedom against a tyrannical government. The bureaucrats are afraid of losing power and start tossing around words like "insurrection" and "domestic terrorism". Trudeau and minions are sociopathic tyrants.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Gipper1985 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:41 am

68Camaro wrote:Just as Canadians understandably do not always understand the sentiments of the American public from a distance, so too it is difficult for Americans to correctly gage Canadian public sentiments. I've noticed that in brief exchanges with another Canadian friend. That said, I believe it is correct to say that Canadians are far more accepting of direction from a federal center of power as well as censorship of dissent (though the US has rapidly started to catch up and may have surpassed). I believe the difference in reaction comes from the historical difference in manner of governance - the US with a distinctive Constitutional Republic and (in concept) decentralized power which is supposed to be in the hands of the people. (Of course powers that don't like that have been working in the US for decades to marginalize and destroy the system as designed and replace it with a European style permanent central bureaucracy with the powers of the States reduced and forced to be strongly subordinate to the Federalists.) So even with the miseducation of several recent generations there is still a strong minority (if not a bare majority) of Americans who believe the power of government lies with them, not the bureaucrats.

Since there is not like button, I wanted to say that is fantastic.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing