Carbon neutrality by 2050 effects on copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Carbon neutrality by 2050 effects on copper

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:26 am

Congress is pushing for carbon neutrality:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ad-map-to/

It is looking more upside to hold on to copper cents.

2050 is twenty eight years away. What do you think the price of copper will be by then?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Carbon neutrality by 2050 effects on copper

Postby wagsthadog » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:40 am

Hiya!

I think the price will be higher if we still have a 'dollar' by then! My vote is $7/lb. I'd like to sort as long as the cent exists as a circulating currency, I give it till 2025-2030...
JMO

Wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:43 am

I think the better question is, how many of us will care about the price of copper in 2050? It's great for the under 40 crowd to think ahead (so it's an appropriate question if you fit that category), but by 2050 I will most likely have been long gone, and even for my daughters the price of copper will be low on their concerns.

If the government doesn't either stop cents altogether, or release them to be melt-able, by 2030, then I will have to chalk up my mini-hoard as the result of an interesting but expensive hobby.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:35 am

68Camaro wrote:I think the better question is, how many of us will care about the price of copper in 2050? It's great for the under 40 crowd to think ahead (so it's an appropriate question if you fit that category), but by 2050 I will most likely have been long gone, and even for my daughters the price of copper will be low on their concerns.

If the government doesn't either stop cents altogether, or release them to be melt-able, by 2030, then I will have to chalk up my mini-hoard as the result of an interesting but expensive hobby.

Yeah. Like how in the 1990's and early 2000's I did not even think for a second that 90% silver still circulated in the coins. I found a Mercury dime once in the 1980's or thereabouts in my change and my brother sarcastically told me I was rich with a whopping 35 cents worth of silver found. I think that shot down at the time any interest about silver. Gold at $200 or $300 at the time was not even something I would consider too. By the time the dotcom era rolled around, stocks were making great gains for the while and metals were kind of laughed at by the investment community and the like. College age and up to people in their 40's could take some risk hoarding copper right now. They are already up a few mutiples in metal value when the Lincoln copper cent has about 3 cents worth of metal in it. If copper doubles in the next couple decades and the melt ban is lifted, 50 cents rolls of copper cents could theoretically trade for $3 a piece. Probably enough money to buy a roll of toilet paper by then :lol:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:09 pm

I've been stacking my 160lb 5 gal pails of Cu pennies 2 high. However, I've recently discovered that the blue 5 gal bucket lids from Lowe's cannot support the 160lb bucket on top for very long. Eventually they break from the weight. This happened a few nights ago, I thought the sound of the lid cracking was a rodent hiding back there chewing on something.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:12 pm

68Camaro wrote:I think the better question is, how many of us will care about the price of copper in 2050?

Don't know about you, but I plan on seeing Halley's comet again in 2061 when I'm 95. ;) :D
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing