What does Dr. Copper say?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What does Dr. Copper say?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:48 am

If we are slotted to go into a recession, will copper drop a lot in price?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What does Dr. Copper say?

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:If we are slotted to go into a recession, will copper drop a lot in price?

In a normal economic cycle, with decreased demand for finished goods, it’s reasonable to expect commodity prices to fall. We are now in clown world with historical Federal Reserve Hiney Wipes printing so prices could (should) rise anyway. My guess would be fall at first and then slingshot higher. To da moon.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:44 pm

The lack of movement in copper and nickel these last weeks is to me telling. I just wish I knew what they are telling.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:58 am

coppernickel wrote:The lack of movement in copper and nickel these last weeks is to me telling. I just wish I knew what they are telling.

Cu and Ni prices are bound to fall with the rest of the stock market.

The stock market crash has only just begun. Lots of malinvestment since March 2009, all precipitated on Fed liquidity injections (QE) and low interest rates. People with 401ks and IRAs are going to get obliterated. It'll be a lot worse than 2008.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:54 pm

The Dow did poorly again today to prove the validity of your point. Down almost 7 percent in the last 5 days and down 14 percent in the last 6 months. Copper is also down the last 5 days, but only one or two percent.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:10 pm

In the last two weeks, copper has gradually increased from 3.19 to 3.52. Still a long road ahead.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 pm

And now up to 3.83 a pound. Will we hit 4 by new years day?
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am

$4.14/pound today, 2 weeks into the new year. Pretty steep spike over the past week.

Melt value of the copper in a copper penny is about 2.65 cents right now. Ebay prices on bulk copper pennies (delivered) appears to run as low at 1.90 cents per penny. Is that a typical exchange rate? 73% of melt value?

It would make sense, given how dirty and contaminated circulated copper pennies are. Refining them into 99.99% fine copper would probably involve at least 10% loss to slag and zinc, and the scrapper would need to profit too.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing