Likely the Oldest Coin I've Ever Found

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Likely the Oldest Coin I've Ever Found

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 pm

I was going through some customer wrapped pennies tonight and found an Indian Head cent. The coin was scratched on the obverse, but the reverse was in nice shape. The coin was an 1872, likely the first 150-year old coin I've ever found in the wild and the first 150-year-old coin found by me in many years of collecting.

I won't get rich from this coin, but it brought a smile to my wife and I.

The coin is V.G. on the scratched obverse and fine-very fine on the reverse.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Likely the Oldest Coin I've Ever Found

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 pm

Pictures or it didn’t happen. LOL. I would like to see it though.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:09 pm

Wouldn't it be fun to know the story of where that coin has been for the last 150 years?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:15 am

TXSTARFIRE wrote: Wouldn't it be fun to know the story of where that coin has been for the last 150 years?

I would say until recently it WAS part of Grandpa's coin collection. The kids or grandkids looked at the old penny and thought that old thing isn't worth anything!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Congrats on your find.

It might be interesting to do a tracking thread with a leader page to see what is the oldest coins everyone has found.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:35 am

Congrats!!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Nice.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 pm

Unless someone can give really simple instructions for an old iPhone 7, I don’t know how to post the photos. I do indeed have photos on the iPhone, however. Because of the scratches on the obverse I likely wouldn’t get more than about $5 from a dealer and don’t want the hassle of doing eBay or online.

Not to sound obnoxious, but I get a lot more excited when I make $1,000+ on a stock trade, so this will likely remain our little story to share.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Here's an ideal if you have a computer at home: send the photos to your personal email, then download them to your computer. Then login to realcent and upload them to here from your computer. I hope it works
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:34 am

I just found this forum... My kids and I got started coin roll hunting back when the pandemic started, and in recent months we've been focusing almost exclusively on pennies. Bought a Ryedale sorter and everything. I go through between 4 and 8 boxes per week.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, my youngest (7 years old) is showing his new babysitter how to search penny rolls, and BOOM! He just happens to find an indian head penny. It's only the 2nd we've ever found, the previous one was badly corroded and barely reconizable.

This was a beauty! 1892 IHP. Worn pretty slick, no letters in LIBERTY visible, but still!

A 130 year old coin, found in circulation! In a bank-wrapped roll, no less! Definitely our most exciting penny find ever. My 7-year-old was running around the house like a tiny madman.

(I can't figure out how to make the pics appear less than gigantic in this forum, my apologies)
Attachments
20220614_195258.jpg
20220614_195258.jpg (408.5 KiB) Viewed 987 times
20220614_195251.jpg
20220614_195251.jpg (435.62 KiB) Viewed 987 times
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am

Welcome, DC Penny Guy, and thanks for the great story. I see that was your very first post here. Not many 1st posts can top an Indian Head story. Hope you'll keep sharing your victories here.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:10 pm

For sure! I've started keeping a Dansko Lincoln penny album. I know we'll never complete it from pennies found in circulation, the key dates being way too rare and valuable, but there's loads of findable wheaties out there.

The lowest mintage penny I've found so far was a 1928-S, only about 17 million minted. And anytime I find a teens wheat cent, it's so word that the date is a little hard to read. I'm despairing of ever finding those teens wheaties with mint marks. Everything is Philly in the mid-Atlantic, where I live.

Anyways, I'm still just trying to hoard enough copper pennies (at face value) to pay back the $500 Ryedale machine investment... With copper percentages in circulation so low, I figure it might take me 100 boxes.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:21 pm

Is a new Ryedale $500 now? I used to own two of them. I think I got them both used. My high-volume sorting days are over though so they were sold off. Don't forget to do the maintenance on your machine to keep them running well for a long time.

Also wanted to comment on the "gigantic" picture you posted. Actually, it's just fine. Most of the regulars here are old farts like me. In other words, big is good.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm

Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 am

shinnosuke wrote:Is a new Ryedale $500 now? I used to own two of them. I think I got them both used. My high-volume sorting days are over though so they were sold off. Don't forget to do the maintenance on your machine to keep them running well for a long time.

Also wanted to comment on the "gigantic" picture you posted. Actually, it's just fine. Most of the regulars here are old farts like me. In other words, big is good.

What maintenance do you do on a Ryedale? I watched the video on lubricating that piece that kicks the pennies down the chute, I do that every 5 boxes or so. But what else?
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17 pm

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Is a new Ryedale $500 now? I used to own two of them. I think I got them both used. My high-volume sorting days are over though so they were sold off. Don't forget to do the maintenance on your machine to keep them running well for a long time.

What maintenance do you do on a Ryedale? I watched the video on lubricating that piece that kicks the pennies down the chute, I do that every 5 boxes or so. But what else?

You gotta replace the blinker fluid every 60,000 miles and…LOL

Lubrication and cleaning are the main thing. Lots of gunk and oxidation and grime on those pennies.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing